Portable A/C question

• Thread starter ETC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Not really, I don't think the air is exhausted from inside the tent. Not sure about that though.
My window unit ( newer LG 17000btu) has a small black plastic lever where the air fins are that when switched on allows for air to be exhausted outside and when switched off keeps the room sealed.

B

basement botany

My window unit ( newer LG 17000btu) has a small black plastic lever where the air fins are that when switched on allows for air to be exhausted outside and when switched off keeps the room sealed.

That sounds ideal in a grow situation. I have never bought any thing from them thank god. I hate rats to. Wow rat out your customers wtf!

C

cheech

My buddy has a couple 13000 btu lg's. They kick ass. Was pretty surprised based off of all the negative reviews.

For your situation though, air cooling sounds like it would be enough.

I have a lg, frigidaire and an old panasonic and they all have those plastic intake tabs. It's to allow some fresh air into your conditioned space not to exhaust it. But yea, keep it closed!

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

I have a lg, frigidaire and an old panasonic and they all have those plastic intake tabs. It's to allow some fresh air into your conditioned space not to exhaust it. But yea, keep it closed!
Yeah, now that I think about it, you have to be right. My window unit has to be exhausting air from inside the room outside. How else would it transfer air to cool the compressor? Only the dual hose portables or the splits would contain odor. I guess I've just been real lucky for a long time, lol.

Jarofunk

Jarofunk

what u need to do is setup a carbon scrubber in ur garage, and have that thing constantly cleaning ur air. unless u live in the middle of nowhere and have no neighbors

B

basement botany

what u need to do is setup a carbon scrubber in ur garage, and have that thing constantly cleaning ur air. unless u live in the middle of nowhere and have no neighbors

Even then I would contain the smell at all costs. I have had cops at my house because of problems with neighborhood kids and if they were to have smelled anything that's all the reason they need to search your shit. Or start watching you. Or just some random person going door to door. Like Jehova's witnesses. Just my 2 cents.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Unless you get a split or spend huge coin on a commercial portable they will exchange some room air, and the same is true of window shakers. I simply build a box with the carbon filter in it and route all ac exaust and light exaust through the filter before going outside. If you have the space and money and don't mind an hvac guy coming by then a split is the way to go. If you live in a cold climate though the split compressor will have to be mounted inside which looks funny IMO.

E

ETC

Wow, such a plethora of AC info! Thanks for all the feed back guys.

Reasons why I went with chiller system:

1-Lower energy cost that AC.
2-Don't have to build an elobrate exhaust system for a window or potable unit
3-Smell. No need to exhaust. My garage is close to other residences and smell is a HUGE concern for me.
4-I'm annal and like things to be done right the first time. : )

Made my deposit today! Gonna pick up my gear on Sunday. I'll update later.

Thanks,
ETC

R

RMCG

If your chiller is in your garage, you will still have to exhaust the heat. All water cooling does (like A/C) is displace heat from one location to another (your room to chiller location). It will be counter productive to heat the room containing your tent.

K

Kaybee

There are more than one type of window unit. Down south, like in the pictured setup, they are evaporative coolant systems, and what they do is spit out water out the back. They basically separate water from the air and the temps go down due to the dry cooler air coming back in. These types of window units do not let any air out, but they do spit some water out, which can smell. We always use these in a room within a room, not in a window to the outdoors. Put a large plastic tote on the floor where the water is spitting out occasionally, and fill it qtr or half full with tap water. The spit water mixes with the larger amount of tap water and you can't smell it. Don't oxygenate this water. The amount of actual water that comes out of those things isn't a large amount. We've used 1 window unit on a 5' x 5' room or tent with no problems, and they are only about $100 at walmart. Keep in mind this setup only works in high humidity, hot areas. And they do make a little noise when they run, but usually a room within a room keeps that problem at bay. Get one with a digital temp setting.

K

Kaybee

Mr.Bongs setup is great if it is a high humidity area, done the same thing myself, but I don't build any ducting to the outdoors, just catch the spit water with normal water and you should be fine. Not all window units work like this, depends where you live. The metal strips on the back should be warm but they don't blow out hot air, only water. The ones I know work like this are branded 'Fedders' I believe. Sold at walmart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom