Portable A/Cs

• Thread starter Calgreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Calgreen

How many of you guys use portable A/Cs? I was gonna use one on my next grow. I heard they exchange air through the exhaust they required be vented out.

facestabber

facestabber

They do exhaust smelly hot air. You could exhaust through an oversized carbon filter to kill the smell. The filter will probably reduce the efficiency and lifespan of your ac though.

hiboy

hiboy

If you go that route make sure its a dual hose, the single hose stink.
Also good to have an auto restart if power turns off.
h

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I would consider them as a last option. A window unit is far superior. I have a mini split, a window unit, and a portable. The portable is a nicer LG model, but I think it sucks balls compared to a window unit that I have that was far cheaper, and smaller BTU's to boot.

-TF

Papa

Papa

Supporter
you need to be more specific about what sort of a portable unit you're asking about. are you wondering about one of these?

MovinCool.jpg

C

Calgreen

I was just wondering about them in general. I was talking about the smaller portables not the larger commercial portables. But im open to ideas. Heres my deal, I have a room that is 17x12 and I want to put two 4x8 trays with 6 600w lights. The room is in the front of my house and I cant just put an A/C unit in the window (im in so cal) so I figured portables were gonna be the way to go.

B

bulldog74

I can tell you this, I am using a portable a/c currently and it definitely IS NOT the way to go. I am using one from LOWES and it only has one hose. It exhaust warm stinky air. I am only using it until I can afford another one. You can buy a window unit cheaper and it works better. Now you dont actually neeed to put it in a window. What you do is build a box out of ply wood and mount inside the box then you can run round 6 or 8 inch duct work for the exhaust.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
How big is your room, the portable units are way more money the going with a real split system ie: 3.5 - 5 ton systems with air handlers.:character0095:

G

green guy

How big is your room, the portable units are way more money the going with a real split system ie: 3.5 - 5 ton systems with air handlers.:character0095:

No they're not. You can pick up a portable for $219. I agree with the others comments that they exhaust hot air, use up amps and make your room not sealed, needing a fresh air source. I cooked an entire room by not venting a portable properly.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
you need to be more specific about what sort of a portable unit you're asking about. are you wondering about one of these?

MovinCool.jpg

No they're not. You can pick up a portable for $219. I agree with the others comments that they exhaust hot air, use up amps and make your room not sealed, needing a fresh air source. I cooked an entire room by not venting a portable properly.

I wans't talking about some little ass portable A/C I was talking about one like in the post above 26-42k btu ones that are any where from $2500.00-$6500.00, in witch case its way cheaper to got with a system like i was talking about!!! :icon_dizzy:

P

paperplane

Just get a window banger. take the closet doors off and board them up. Cut a hole to fit the window banger into. You will also need to cut holes into the roof of the closet and exhaust all the hot air into the attic with a can fan. Or get a mini split.

T

TheIronLung317

I'm currently using portables in my setup. I have the two hose varieties. They work well for me. MY flower room has 4000w of lights so. I employ two 14,500 BTU portables. They both go for a least $400-$500 each brand new. I was going to go for a mini split but thought it would be easier to relocate the AC's and other equipment if I had to breakdown my setup quickly if anything happened. During the fall and winter months i only use one AC and it keeps my temps around 75-79 degrees Fahrenheit. I also use a 8,000 BTU in my vege room /closet and that keeps temps in the low 70's no problem.

B

Bunz

I was just wondering about them in general. I was talking about the smaller portables not the larger commercial portables. But im open to ideas. Heres my deal, I have a room that is 17x12 and I want to put two 4x8 trays with 6 600w lights. The room is in the front of my house and I cant just put an A/C unit in the window (im in so cal) so I figured portables were gonna be the way to go.

Where are you going to exhaust the air from the portables to? If you're gonna use those same windows, might as well hang a window banger and call it a day.

C

Calgreen

Well my room for now is only like 8x14x8, but we are moving into a room that is 16x12x10 roughly. There isnt a window we can put in a unit in and a split unit is out of the question. So I figured I would get a dual hose portable. If I could get a split unit I would but its not in the budget right now. If you have a dual hose AC is air exchanged between the room and the outside?

B

Bunz

Well my room for now is only like 8x14x8, but we are moving into a room that is 16x12x10 roughly. There isnt a window we can put in a unit in and a split unit is out of the question. So I figured I would get a dual hose portable. If I could get a split unit I would but its not in the budget right now. If you have a dual hose AC is air exchanged between the room and the outside?

You're gonna need an intake and an exhaust to properly use a dual hose portable. You can't just recirculate the air within the room (well you could, but it wouldn't be effective at all.)

C

Calgreen

Where are you going to exhaust the air from the portables to? If you're gonna use those same windows, might as well hang a window banger and call it a day.

Well Im using my master bed room. The windows are in the front so I cant put a window unit in those cos I dont want the neighbors getting any suspicions. There is another window in the bath room, that is where i was gonna exhuast, its on the side of the house. And I plan on using the closet for a clone room.

A mini-split would be nice if I could save the money for one, but I also want to be able to tear down easily if needed. The house is a rental and I dont really want to get one of those til my situation becomes more concrete.

Latest posts

Top Bottom