Portable AC cooling

• Thread starter Yndisfagur
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

Yndisfagur

What size portable AC will I need to cool a sealed closet at 113 degrees. Thats with a 1000W HPS and no fans. Is 10,000 BTU's enough?

420Gator

420Gator

yes, but if you can configure a window unit you could save some $

C

cheyenne

thatd be plenty. As far as saving with a window unit, by the time you do the extra work to deal with the heat exchange...id spend my $400 on a portable...

X

Xceptional

portables are garbage dont waste your money. get a window unit and build a box on the back side and run a 6" duct with a booster fan to pull the hot air form the back side of the ac out and exhaust it wherever you were going to exhaust yoru portable.

window is more efficient then portable
window does not leak smell like portable
window is cheaper then portable.

i'm not just talking out my ass just ran a 3k room with a portable and it was hell. buddy did the same sold it and got a window ac and temps dropped by 10 degrees. i'm doing the same right now. and again no smell issues!

420Gator

420Gator

portables are garbage dont waste your money. get a window unit and build a box on the back side and run a 6" duct with a booster fan to pull the hot air form the back side of the ac out and exhaust it wherever you were going to exhaust yoru portable.

window is more efficient then portable
window does not leak smell like portable
window is cheaper then portable.

i'm not just talking out my ass just ran a 3k room with a portable and it was hell. buddy did the same sold it and got a window ac and temps dropped by 10 degrees. i'm doing the same right now. and again no smell issues!

Exactly

S

StraightDank

anyone have pics or a diagram of how to configure a window ac unit??

E

eyepinpools

When buying an A/C expect a window unit to be 2x as efficient as the portable unit. The portable unit also passes smell as mentioned before.

As an example a 10k btu window unit has the cooling power of a 15-20k btu portable unit.

Expect to need 4k btu (window btu's) per non air cooled bulb/ballast.

B

burnedout

good advice from exceptional.

straight dank..there's a really good tutorial on I C from hoosierdaddy that describes building an ac box in detail, you should check it out.

Y

Yndisfagur

I'm not able to do any ducting or sheet rock removal to allow for the exhaust from a 10KBTU unit so my question changes slightly: Can I have a 10KBTU portable AC in a 3x7x8 closet or will its condensed air(exhaust) overpower the compressor thus causing the system to fail?

X

Xceptional

good advice from exceptional.

straight dank..there's a really good tutorial on I C from hoosierdaddy that describes building an ac box in detail, you should check it out.

now that's good advice! i know there is a thread here and its good but it goes nowhere near as far in depth with CAD drawings and providing the information on HOW and WHY it works. hoosierdaddy's does that, that's where i learned about it.

420Gator

420Gator

I'm not able to do any ducting or sheet rock removal to allow for the exhaust from a 10KBTU unit so my question changes slightly: Can I have a 10KBTU portable AC in a 3x7x8 closet or will its condensed air(exhaust) overpower the compressor thus causing the system to fail?

dont do this. you must exhaust

Apache69

Apache69

I am running a portable 1Ton LG I got from Homedepot in a 74sq' Sealed room with 2000W lights with no problem at all. I am not so sure that it pases smell due to that fact that I have been burning sulfur you you can not smell it outside the room.

It barley runs to keep the room at 78 and its been super hot here. But this is just my experience which is statistically invalid. Best of Luck!

Y

Yndisfagur

I am running a portable 1Ton LG I got from Homedepot in a 74sq' Sealed room with 2000W lights with no problem at all. I am not so sure that it pases smell due to that fact that I have been burning sulfur you you can not smell it outside the room.

It barley runs to keep the room at 78 and its been super hot here. But this is just my experience which is statistically invalid. Best of Luck!

Why are you burning sulfur?

Apache69

Apache69

Why are you burning sulfur?

To help keep PM(Powdery Mildew) at Bay and any thing else that may be in there. I like to run about 70%RH with Lights on thus the Sulfur. The Jack Wreck has PM constantly so as soon as I fired up the Sulfur burner, the JW perked up and took off.

Cheers,

caliogk

caliogk

Premium Member
Supporter
If your room hit 122* you should find a solution very soon.

Very high heats like that will severely shock plants and you will also run a HIGH risk of getting herm's with those temps.

Just make a decision and roll with the punches.

stickyicky

stickyicky

I'm running a 1-ton Alen portable ac in my 10'x10' and it keeps things at 82* when above 100* outside.

Because of this I'm switching to a 2-ton mini split. Just picked one up delivered w/ Toshiba condensor for $980 us. Got such a good deal I also picked up the sentinel CHHC-4 controller. I'm sealing this baby up finally! 4200 watts and vented hoods.

Portables cost to much to run, exhaust smell, run to hot and don't work effectively in a "sealed room" environment.

Top Bottom