Portland Water

• Thread starter cdat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cdat

I live in Portland, OR, I'm starting my 1st grow and wondering if folks that live and grow in the Portland area could provide some of their experience using straight city water, no ro or distilled water. Any thoughts on adding anything special, I'm planning on using Advanced nutrients.
Thanks for any help
CDAT

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

You're good to go, it's usually below 20ppm.

Although a few years ago a guy got caught peeing in the res at Mt Tabor and the city went through a several week debacle, first trying to dump 38 million gallons down the drain, then deciding to divert it to holding areas for non-potable use. Good thing there wasn't anything more important happening or we'd probably all be dead now.

Last edited:
PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

I live close to mt tabor, and I've seen dead squirrels and rats floating in the different reservoirs.. Not all at once lol, but 1 here and there over the years.. Never heard about the guy pissing in it, but doesn't surprise me.. Anyone could walk right up to em and do whatever..

But yeah, been using the city water for many years with no probs :)

C

cdat

I remember the guy peeing in the water, gonna dump 39 million gallons because of an ounce of pee, while the crows fly over it pooping in it daily. Appreciate people taking the time to answer the question, nice to have experience people around to answer questions.
Thanks

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
They did dump it for 150.000 it cost ...the superintendent said because he could ...that we have plenty water ....another jerk running the city... ? is why did it cost $150.000 to turn a Tap on ...? Sure its not that easy BUT... they probably charged u on your water bill ...heck could of atleast put a water slide down the hill ...

C

cdat

Well, for better or worse my seedling have been transplanted into rockwool, will be starting a "grow thread" later today. Excited, haven't grown weed since the mid-70's, in those days it was coffee cans and rotate into the sun when you could, never got more than a couple of buds. Hopefully, with the right equipment, and some advice from this forum, I'll succeed.
Thanks
CDAT

Coir

Coir

If you really want to know the full mineral content of your water, you can get a $35 test done from Everris. More than likely you will not need one as Bull Run water is very good. If you have any unexplainable problems, then the water test would be my first recommendation to if nothing else, eliminate that from the troubleshooting.

O

oregonmellow

Lived in Gresham for about 5 yrs.used city water there with no problems

Jboys3

Jboys3

I live in the Gorge and I bet my water is better than PDX's. Doesn't see the light of day until it comes out of our tap. All water has to meet Federal Regs. I still filter and oxygenate it for 24 hours before use.

Can you use it straight out of the tap. Sure! However; I don't. Personal choice.

O

oregonmellow

Just got back from watering my girls,I agree with Jboys at least leave your water to the air for 24 hours I put some 5 gallon buckets out to catch rain water in the winter and have no problem using that,happy growing all,and a big THANX to all for making me welcome with your likes,Peace.

blaze503

blaze503

Very clean water in pdx. On the east side north of burnside and west of 205 the water is great. After about 5 min running the tap my water is at 14ppm

Trixxi

Trixxi

Well, for better or worse my seedling have been transplanted into rockwool, will be starting a "grow thread" later today. Excited, haven't grown weed since the mid-70's, in those days it was coffee cans and rotate into the sun when you could, never got more than a couple of buds. Hopefully, with the right equipment, and some advice from this forum, I'll succeed.
Thanks
CDAT
I love this "coffee cans in the sun" as we become legal all the beautiful subtleties of how pot used to be start to feel this almost nostalgia ...

Had a coworker in his 20s say he did not know how to roll ... And I remembered the days of loose cannabis in some brown paper grocery bags and I said " well you learn how to roll when you have a lot of flower ..." And the coffee can reminded me of those same grocery bags. Hope you had a great grow I am in clackamas county and also just use city water

P

Pdx201

The metro areas water is chlorinated but it's soft water and slightly alkaline. Early on I battled pH issues in my grow media.
I run my water through a chlorine filter and air stones in a 50 gal drum the water is 6.9-7 after a few hours. I find the use humic & fulvic acid additives with my nutes resulted in a pH of 6 every time

Top Bottom