Possible Broad And/or Russet Mite Issues

• Thread starter burner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JSmokes420

JSmokes420

Outside I have had issues with plants growing through the smartpots into the ground. One was so well rooted this year it toasted the pot lol.

hermit186

hermit186

If you have the time and the ability for 48 hrs between grows I raise my grow area to above 120 degrees and hold then I uses a paint sprayer with bleach solution and wait till dry dry and repeat with vinegar. I have had no problems sense I started doing. Where I live and I grow in a conex with a/c off is easy to get high temperature and hold. It kills the spiders and most everything with 6 or 8 legs.
Most bugs are hard to kill once they move in best to ambush at the door.
I agree with they need C but not with Cal/Mg you don't need extra N

CaliRay

CaliRay

Setup:
  • 4’x2’x5’ tall tent in finished basement bedroom + window is open for fresh outside air
  • 600w HPS/MH
  • 1 gal Smart Pots (going to scrog)
  • Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil
  • Water PH’d to 6.2-6.5 (always bubble to evaporate chlorine and what not)
  • Tent temp: 65-78*F and 30-45% humidity (just bought a humidifier to raise that up)
  • Strains (transplanted seedlings 10/18/16) CBD Crew: Critical Mass, Humboldt Seed Organization: Blue Dream & Sour Diesel
  • GH Flora Nutes (have only applied these 3 times so far, also ditching these to go back to organic)
Long story short, this isn’t my first go around. I’ve been completing 1-2 grows/year for the past 5 years (some chemical grows, some organic). Never had an issue like this. My buddy and I literally have the same setup. Same seeds, soil (from the same bag!), pots, tents, light, fans, water supply, etc. Really, the only difference is his temps have been higher since I handed him the seedlings. His have been 80-88 deg. F and his plants are thriving….which led me to believe that I do indeed have broad mites. From what I read, they thrive in 60-80*F, which my tent has been, hence them not able to live in his environment, and thriving in mine.

After scratching my head for weeks trying to figure out why 2 out of 3 of my plants were struggling, narrowing down issues, making sure things were in check, I came to the conclusion that I have broad and/or russet mites. Not sure how it happened, but it did. Did a bunch of reading online and this forum, I ordered the following to do battle.
  • Dehumidifier (to get up to 60%+ for foliar feeding)
  • OG Biowar Foliar Pack & Yucca extract (for foliar feeding)
  • OG Biowar Root Pack, worm castings, molasses & the foliar pack (for compost tea). Also already have Kelp meal, and some other organic stuff to add in if need be.
I had to order the OG Biowar online, nowhere local sells it and it’s not going to be here untill next Tuesday… anything I can do for the time being? Can anyone recommend anything else I can do or use along with the above? Any other tips would be fantastic!

Thanks guys!
Greetings , inorder to win the war against russet mites or broad mites you don't need harsh pesticides . Get conserve sc , prf 97 or grandevo . remove plants from where they're at and first bleach the area. Then spray conserve sc for every 2 days for 3 times total . each time you spray bleach the grow area . Then switch over to the pfr 97 or grandevo for three more sprays. They'll be gone and dead. you can continue to use the pfr 97 or grandevo without having to worry about resistance being developed

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
No sir I do not. I just put on gloves, turn off all fans and start spraying.

Don't ever listen to the random dude on the internet. Always read your PPE's which every product has recommendations. Here is what Grandevo says........

ENGINEERING CONTROLS: Spill controls and dust control apparatus should be provided for working with large quantities. VENTILATION: No TLV assigned. Provide exhaust ventilation or other engineering controls to keep the airborne concentrations of vapors and aerosols below the exposure levels. Ensure that eyewash stations and safety showers are proximal to the work-station location. RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: Use a dust/mist filtering respirator meeting NIOSH standards of at least N-95, R- 95 or P-95. EYE PROTECTION: Safety goggles or glasses with side shields advisable when handling dry powder. SKIN PROTECTION: Wear gloves made of Latex or other impervious material. OTHER PROTECTIVE CLOTHING OR EQUIPMENT: Clothing to prevent prolonged skin contact as needed such as long-sleeved shirt, long pants and shoes with socks. WORK HYGIENIC PRACTICES: Wash any contamination from skin or eyes immediately. Wash hands and exposed skin before eating, drinking, smoking, after work or using the toilet.

Reentry time is 4 hours

I know somebody that went blind in less than 5 seconds when some spray hit the wind and got in his eyes. Was roundup, but all these things have warnings for a reason.

ballbeanking

ballbeanking

I think the damn things are in my walls. I've treated n bleached so many times..there is no vegetation within 15 20 ft of my building..ive trashed everything a few times and they keep coming back. I guess if nothing else I'm gonna get ready for the outdoor season. .

ballbeanking

ballbeanking

Has anyone tried hot shot no pest strips? Read on another forum it can kill them on clones in a sealed dome..anybody has any suggestions it would be great..16 x 24 framed building on wood subfloor. .front is about 16x13 n back is 16 x 9..sealed besides a few cracks. Pulling intake from attic. .

CaliRay

CaliRay

Has anyone tried hot shot no pest strips? Read on another forum it can kill them on clones in a sealed dome..anybody has any suggestions it would be great..16 x 24 framed building on wood subfloor. .front is about 16x13 n back is 16 x 9..sealed besides a few cracks. Pulling intake from attic. .
Dip the clone in pfr 97 or grandevo then place in a humidity dome. The rest is history.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Dip the clone in pfr 97 or grandevo then place in a humidity dome. The rest is history.

Yea, thousands of gardeners are having this problem, and you make it seem so easy........

Good luck, but the above quote will not rid you of mites. Neither of those miticides will kill eggs. Even if it did, one application of ANYTHING will not get rid of the borg. Just my opinion.

However those pest control strips do work. They are toxic as F, but they work.

ballbeanking

ballbeanking

Thanks bulldog 420..got 2 in the front 13x16 . Closed off intake and exhaust, turned fans off and am letting it sit 12 hrs....gonna turn my intake/exhaust on manually a couple times a day. .got some bayer granular I'm going to load up around the building. .I just use a pump sprayer and it doesn't seem to get good coverage. I had been trying green cleaner and also used forbid but I could see where some leaves where shiny but didn't get full coverage. .thanks everyone

CaliRay

CaliRay

Yea, thousands of gardeners are having this problem, and you make it seem so easy........

Good luck, but the above quote will not rid you of mites. Neither of those miticides will kill eggs. Even if it did, one application of ANYTHING will not get rid of the borg. Just my opinion.

Yes there the eggs will hatch. However, this is way a person needs to follow up with pfr 97 of grandevo. Many would rather use harsh chemicals such as avid, forbid sc or judo. But there are other means to eliminate these pest.

IMG 20170116 093904 444
CaliRay

CaliRay

This is the affect pfr 97 has on a spider once it has come in contact with it.

CaliRay

CaliRay

Thanks bulldog 420..got 2 in the front 13x16 . Closed off intake and exhaust, turned fans off and am letting it sit 12 hrs....gonna turn my intake/exhaust on manually a couple times a day. .got some bayer granular I'm going to load up around the building. .I just use a pump sprayer and it doesn't seem to get good coverage. I had been trying green cleaner and also used forbid but I could see where some leaves where shiny but didn't get full coverage. .thanks everyone
There is no need to use forbid sc to deal with these pest. Yes it is affective but way take the chance with it. When there are many other products that work.

xavier7995

xavier7995

Organic methods don't always work. They are certainly the ideal solution we should all strive for, but situations arise that call for more. If you have to go that route, be safe in how you use the product, both in applying the substance and the applicable time it takes to be safe to consume. Use of chemicals gets shouted down with such fervor it leaves people without the information to use them responsibly.

ballbeanking

ballbeanking

I assume I can spray everything in the room with grandevo or pfr..and can you really use mite predators with these..I read it wouldn't hurt them..I'm venting off now..2 pest strips for 24 hours sealed. .thanks

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes there the eggs will hatch. However, this is way a person needs to follow up with pfr 97 of grandevo. Many would rather use harsh chemicals such as avid, forbid sc or judo. But there are other means to eliminate these pest.

Ok, now we are talking. If you follow up with more sprays, then yes, I approve of your method. One thing people are not mentioning here is the reproductive rate of broad or russets. Russets in 100 degree heat hatch twice a day! So grandma will be born and witness her grandson being born on the same day. Crazy right? So those follow up sprays need to be daily for a while IMO.

Good luck.

CaliRay

CaliRay

Ok, now we are talking. If you follow up with more sprays, then yes, I approve of your method. One thing people are not mentioning here is the reproductive rate of broad or russets. Russets in 100 degree heat hatch twice a day! So grandma will be born and witness her grandson being born on the same day. Crazy right? So those follow up sprays need to be daily for a while IMO.

Good luck.
I would even release predator mites

Top Bottom