Possible critical failure - HELP!

• Thread starter HiDaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HiDaze

HiDaze

Okay boys check these photos out. I was poking around in my tent this evening and happened to glance up right into my LED (ouch) but spied 3 diodes which seem to have failed.

Shut her off and pulled her for some photos. Anyone knowledgable with LEDs or electricity in general - help an old man out.

I will be a replacement asap my question is can I run this thing safely for a few days? Relatively low voltage passes through these things but I dont want to burn my house down while I sleep.

No clue when these things cut out. Could have been 2 months. Once ol girl hit flower, timers took over and I havent inspected my light once.
Possible critical failure   help

Possible critical failure   help 2
Possible critical failure   help 3

3 diodes our in total. Last photo even shows a bit of discoloration around the mount panel. Seems to be 2 blues and a red popped. The IR's are alive and well.

Help me - how dangerous is this? Should I cut my losses and leave it off for the night?

Dbear180

Dbear180

Dont hold me to it I'm not a light expert but we used to get cars with multiple led headlights/taillights out all the time & they were a replace the whole fixture type of fix. But the remaining leds had no issues. Someone who knows will pop in. I'd def find some way to keep your girls lit up when they are supposed to be if you are not comfortable running the fixture any longer.

Formallyhap

Formallyhap

you're fine to run it
you can also just solder in replacement led beads if you are handy rather than buy a new one

those are most likely UV leds and they put crappy ass plastic bubbles on them, you can even scrape off the burnt part and they might still be working.

HiDaze

HiDaze

Dont hold me to it I'm not a light expert but we used to get cars with multiple led headlights/taillights out all the time & they were a replace the whole fixture type of fix. But the remaining leds had no issues. Someone who knows will pop in. I'd def find some way to keep your girls lit up when they are supposed to be if you are not comfortable running the fixture any longer.
Hate so say it but you're completely right. Part of me pictures those headlamps and taillights - they dont light on fire due to a few bad diodes. Sorta feel comfortable using it the next couple nights (SORTA).
Checking out my options now. I want one in the next 48 hours.. off to amazon for now.

kevsAghost

kevsAghost

If you try to remove these bad lights it could mess up the “chain” of lights in that circuit. There is a hard circuit under this led that can’t get disturbed. I have ran less with bad led sections for years. If you are really worried make sure to put a smoke detector close. 😝. Seriously though I don’t think this is an issue. Mark the board with a marker to make sure it doesn’t burn more.

HiDaze

HiDaze

you're fine to run it
you can also just solder in replacement led beads if you are handy rather than buy a new one

those are most likely UV leds and they put crappy ass plastic bubbles on them, you can even scrape off the burnt part and they might still be working.

Thanks for chiming in. I'll take a closer look when lights go off tomorrow morning. Soldering ain't a bad idea but I'm sorta impatient when shit goes wrong lol fix with what I have on hand in a few hours or scrap that pos and get a new one.

HiDaze

HiDaze

If you try to remove these bad lights it could mess up the “chain” of lights in that circuit. There is a hard circuit under this led that can’t get disturbed. I have ran less with bad led sections for years. If you are really worried make sure to put a smoke detector close. 😝. Seriously though I don’t think this is an issue. Mark the board with a marker to make sure it doesn’t burn more.

Hahaha thanks man. I'm seriously pulling the detector out of my hallway now 🤣 not a bad idea! And good looking out with the marker idea!

Dbear180

Dbear180

Hahaha thanks man. I'm seriously pulling the detector out of my hallway now 🤣 not a bad idea! And good looking out with the marker idea!

An hps light fell at a friends house, luckily he didn't have a real job. His house filled with smoke from the plants cooking on the bulb & he got in there to turn it off before he had a fire. I keep two extinguishers, one downstairs by the grow & another upstairs in case I cant get downstairs in time to get the other one.
Cant hurt 👍 except that time I walked in there in the dark & forgot I moved it away from the wall when I swept 👎

HiDaze

HiDaze

just the plastic burned above the actual led
I checked it out and you're exactly right. Shitty plastic burnt up. The leds themselves are all functioning. Gave myself a serious scare haha

Still added the smoke detector to the tent and slipped a fire extinguisher in the room, thanks @Dbear180

HiDaze

HiDaze

An hps light fell at a friends house, luckily he didn't have a real job. His house filled with smoke from the plants cooking on the bulb & he got in there to turn it off before he had a fire. I keep two extinguishers, one downstairs by the grow & another upstairs in case I cant get downstairs in time to get the other one.
Cant hurt 👍 except that time I walked in there in the dark & forgot I moved it away from the wall when I swept 👎
Took your advice to heart. Slipped an extinguisher in there 👌

Top Bottom