Possible root rot issue with a specific pheno?

• Thread starter flavasavor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
flavasavor

flavasavor

Hello folks I think this might be my first post here!

I'm suspecting a possible root rot issue but it does seem somewhat strange how it occurred.

I've been growing for about a year now, this is my 3rd grow, my first time growing in a somewhat sealed grow room with a 12k btu minisplit for cooling. My first two grows were in a 4x8 gorilla grow tent. 60 percent canna coco/40 percent perlite media. 11x10 grow room with 4 HLG 600's, 13 plants in the room at the moment, in 5 gallon floraflex plastic pots with the floraflex drain system for runoff.

I'm running several different strains in the room, and 5 of the plants I'm running are Exotic Genetix Cookies n Cream IX3 from seed, which I'm currently pheno-hunting for the best ones. I'm in the middle of week 7 flower, and the problem that I'm having is one of the Cookies n Cream phenos are all of a sudden showing signs of heavy wilting on all the fan leaves, and most of them look wilted and dying at the moment. I'm suspecting it's a root rot issue from overfeeding it, but not entirely sure yet.

In flower 12/12, the first two weeks I was feeding twice a day. Week 3 and on I started to feed 3 times a day. I test the runoff EC every few days to make sure the salt buildup ppm (hanna) or EC isn't too high from the nutrient solution that I feed it. I try to keep the runoff ec/ppm no more than 300ish ppm higher than what I initially feed. If the runoff EC/ppm gets too high from what I feed it, I will usually either flush with a half strength nute solution and up the volume of nutrient solution if runoff EC is way too high, or I'll just feed it a higher volume of nutrient solution at the same nutrient solution PPM if the runoff EC isn't too high, like for minor corrections.

So this one pheno that has the problem right now, lets call it CNC #2, around week 5 and a half flower or so, I started to notice that the plant was drinking nutrient solution like really really slow compared to the rest of the plants. I was thinking it could've been really rootbound or so because I did let all my plants grow for a lot longer than normal in veg due to me building a new grow room from a tent which took a couple weeks and just let the plants that we're ready for flower stay in veg for a few weeks longer than normal. This was the only plant that was drinking very slow though, and when i fed it, the nutrient solution would kind of sit on the top of the pot and slowly go thru the media, and the runoff that was coming out was very very slow. So that was probably not an ideal situation. Initially, I thought that it was needing more nutrient solution since it drank so slow, so I upped the amt of feeding to that plant. So the rest of the cookies n cremes were getting about 4000ml 3 times a day, that one was getting 5500ml-6000ml 3 times a day.

Then I stuck a stake in the media around week 6 and a half to hold some colas up (not using any trellis, using stakes in the open grow room instead), and the plant started to drink somewhat faster now. Maybe I created some drainage with the stake. Runoff was coming out quicker now too, tested the runoff, and EC was close to what I was feeding it, PH was normal. So I kept the media solution around 5500-6000ml 3 times a day, and fast forward to week 7, now the plant looks terrible. This is the only plant that this happened to, the rest of my garden looks fine.

So I was feeding it about 3000-4000ml more compared to the rest of my CNC phenos per day, and this is the only plant that this has happened to. Mind you I was also using fabric pots for first two grows until now, and never had any root problems until now.

Here is a video of the wilted plant currently. Rest of garden looks fine. https://streamable.com/t3o200 (plants got way too tall this round unfortunately as well lol)

Probably root rot? Anything I can do to recover this plant, or is it a goner at this point? And what can I do to prevent this from happening again? Could it have been also possibly... a bad pheno? Because this didn't happen to my other cookies n creams, but I did feed this specific one more than the other phenos. Also, from the situation I was in, can you recommend any other tips? Still pretty much a newbie but my first two grows were pretty successful for a beginner somehow.

chemistry

chemistry

The plant with the floppy leaves looks like the fan close to it has battered it. Maybe move the fan further away.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Semi sealed room?

You have co2 I hope and no I don't mean the bags. Legitimate co2?

flavasavor

flavasavor

Semi sealed room?

You have co2 I hope and no I don't mean the bags. Legitimate co2?
Yea I didn't close off the room intake so its not technically fully sealed. I have the mushroom bags I don't have an actual co2 tank yet. Kind of hard to acquire where I'm at

flavasavor

flavasavor

The plant with the floppy leaves looks like the fan close to it has battered it. Maybe move the fan further away.
The fan isn't the issue of why that plant has floppy leaves but nice try. The plant behind it doesn't have any floppy leaves, or any windburn for that matter, and is getting battered by the fan too. That fan oscillates.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The fan isn't the issue of why that plant has floppy leaves but nice try. The plant behind it doesn't have any floppy leaves, or any windburn for that matter, and is getting battered by the fan too. That fan oscillates.
Idk man does look like some wind burn in there but the leaves drooping like that means a serious transpiration issue. Kinda looks like underwatering but root rot can also look that way.

flavasavor

flavasavor

Yea definitely not underwatered by any means. This plant was getting more nutrient solution daily compared to any other pheno by a large margin. More than likely an overwatering/root rot issue. Do you think this plant can be saved by any means or is it pretty much done for? Probably cant even salvage it at this point huh?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yea definitely not underwatered by any means. This plant was getting more nutrient solution daily compared to any other pheno by a large margin. More than likely an overwatering/root rot issue. Do you think this plant can be saved by any means or is it pretty much done for? Probably cant even salvage it at this point huh?
Move it to a higher humidity like 60-70%, reduce the light to minimal, give it a good flush with enzymes, pots off the ground temps around 75-80f and no direct airflow. It will come around but will have the yield likely effected.

Take an extremely close look at the media to make sure you do t have the start of root aphids as they are freaking tiny and really hard to spot.

The enzymes will really help and I would use with each fertigation.

flavasavor

flavasavor

I have fungus gnats in my grow room but I've been using Microbe lift BMC regularly to keep the numbers down. I see a few here n there on my yellow sticky traps but nothing too extensive. I'm thinking the plant is pretty much done for at this point. Haven't seen root aphids before tho. Only fungus gnats so far. I have been feeding it less than usual with enzymes but haven't done a flush yet. I grow for fresh frozen and don't really want those buds to be used as hash at this point, as I try to produce the most quality hash possible. It's just strange that it happened to this cookies n cream pheno. My other CNC phenos are doing great, not showing much of any signs of overwatering like that plant. So I'm thinking that it could also be a genetics issue. That specific pheno might not be as stable and more prone to overfeeding/root rot compared to the other phenos.

The one thing I noticed though that I think is the cause of the problem, was that this pheno drank waaaaaaay slower compared to the other ones. So I would feed my plants 3 times a day. The other phenos I would feed them like 4000ml 3 times a day, and each feed the nutrient solution would go thru the media and runoff would be produced in a minute or so like normal. While the pheno in question, I would feed it, and the nutrient solution would just sit on top of the media, and it would take that plant like 1-2 hrs for the nutrient solution to go through the media, and hardly any runoff would come out, which I thought was really strange. So the nutrient solution would essentially be stagnated in the media for some time, which definitely leads to root rot since those roots probably we're not getting any oxygen. That being said, is the reason why I think it could be a genetics issue. That pheno was just a weak one, had shitty root genetics maybe, compared to the others.

PurpleD

PurpleD

I have fungus gnats in my grow room but I've been using Microbe lift BMC regularly to keep the numbers down. I see a few here n there on my yellow sticky traps but nothing too extensive. I'm thinking the plant is pretty much done for at this point. Haven't seen root aphids before tho. Only fungus gnats so far. I have been feeding it less than usual with enzymes but haven't done a flush yet. I grow for fresh frozen and don't really want those buds to be used as hash at this point, as I try to produce the most quality hash possible. It's just strange that it happened to this cookies n cream pheno. My other CNC phenos are doing great, not showing much of any signs of overwatering like that plant. So I'm thinking that it could also be a genetics issue. That specific pheno might not be as stable and more prone to overfeeding/root rot compared to the other phenos.

The one thing I noticed though that I think is the cause of the problem, was that this pheno drank waaaaaaay slower compared to the other ones. So I would feed my plants 3 times a day. The other phenos I would feed them like 4000ml 3 times a day, and each feed the nutrient solution would go thru the media and runoff would be produced in a minute or so like normal. While the pheno in question, I would feed it, and the nutrient solution would just sit on top of the media, and it would take that plant like 1-2 hrs for the nutrient solution to go through the media, and hardly any runoff would come out, which I thought was really strange. So the nutrient solution would essentially be stagnated in the media for some time, which definitely leads to root rot since those roots probably we're not getting any oxygen. That being said, is the reason why I think it could be a genetics issue. That pheno was just a weak one, had shitty root genetics maybe, compared to the others.
Definitely get humidity lower. I would stop adding nutrients to the plant other than hydrogen peroxide, H&G Roots exceullurator, voodoo juice, and seaweed extract. Add those and water that plant less frequently. I wouldnt say it;s a gonner if you have those resources/ care. Bud quality may still be reduced imo and experience

flavasavor

flavasavor

Yea the reduced bud quality just kind of turned me off on even trying to revive it. Would rather just toss than turn it into midsy hash. I went ahead and removed the plant from my garden though, and took the plant out of the pot and inspected the root zone. Surprisingly, the rootzone looked ok to me. The roots color was tan-ish, but didn't see any brown slimy smelly roots or any signs of root rot for that matter. The roots may have looked a tad bit unhealthy but not really anything too bad. Didn't see any root pests either. I took a break on heavy feeding and only fed my plants once yesterday when lights came on, then checked the pots the next day and they definitely we're a lot lighter. Except for that plant in question's pot, that pot was still heavy. So for whatever reason, that plant just stopped drinking...

After I checked the root zone and saw that it looked ok to me, it leads me to two conclusions on why the plant wilted hard all of a sudden like that. One, the plant experienced nutrient lockout somehow, and stopped uptaking nutrients and stopped drinking. I was blasting my whole garden from week 5-week 7 with the highest peak nutrient EC solution per the feed chart for my nutrient company, which was about 3.3ec. Middle of week 7 is when I started to taper the nutrients down and started the flush. That's right around when the plant started dying, so maybe it got nutrient lockout somehow. Not sure how though because I make sure the runoff EC isn't too high compared to the nutrient solution im feeding it.

Or two, it could've been a bad pheno. I've never grown this plant before, its from seed, and my other cookies n cream phenos are kicking ass and very healthy. Maybe this pheno is just a weak one compared to the other ones.

So I don't think I'm necessarily overwatering my plants, maybe just slightly if anything. This is my first time losing an entire plant, but at least it was a pheno hunt and that just tells me that pheno is one to weed out. Please let me know if you're noticing anything I might not have though, still a newb grower.

Top Bottom