Post your Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

globe_toker

Outdoor base mix 15 gal holes: (This is guerilla)

1/3 flower power
1/3 cup chicken manure
1 cup alfalfa
1 cup glacial rock dust
1/2 cup kelp
1/2 cup dolomite

Been using this mix consistently over the years with good results

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Is that 1/3 cup flower power, too? Everything else is measured in cups. Amending the native earth with this?

G

globe_toker

Yeah, forgot to add the units. The 1/3 cup of flower power is actually top dressed when I transplant. I add the other stuff in first and turn the soil over. I'll return later after everything has cooked.

To new holes I add 8 gallons promix which is then mixed in with native soil. The holes are 1 m x 1 m and 12" deep approximately. I cut the sod/top layer off and create a perimeter around the hole to act as a raised bed. Loosen the soil and add your own.

Saying they are 15 gallon holes may not be quite accurate if you are all about precision. It is just a rough estimate for the most part. The mix is designed for 8 gallon pm-bx / 8 gallon native.

I also alternate every other year when it comes to adding dolomite lime.

Always open to positive criticism, any modifications or whatever. It's all one big learning experience.

Last edited:
G

globe_toker

I find that is the key with guerrilla. Over the years you learn to keep it fairly simple and that always seems to work well. Backyard growing is a different story but yeah.

Medicab

Medicab

soil mix for my cab:

5 parts coco
2 parts compost
2 parts perlite
1 part vermiculite
1 part worm castings
3 cups dolomite lime
2 cups azomite
2 cups fish bone meal
2 cups kelp meal
8 cups pigeon guano ( from my own birds)
2 cups alfalfa meal
2 cups soft rock phosphate
2 cups green sand
2 cups diaomaceous earth

I use a 2 litter soda bottle with the top cut off for the parts in the mix ( per 20 gal of soil)

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I was thinking of adding humus to my soil mix on my next grow, what do you think?
I think yes. Worm castings are a good source of humus.
soil mix for my cab:

5 parts coco
2 parts compost
2 parts perlite
1 part vermiculite
1 part worm castings
3 cups dolomite lime
2 cups azomite
2 cups fish bone meal
2 cups kelp meal
8 cups pigeon guano ( from my own birds)
2 cups alfalfa meal
2 cups soft rock phosphate
2 cups green sand
2 cups diaomaceous earth

I use a 2 litter soda bottle with the top cut off for the parts in the mix ( per 20 gal of soil)
I personally detest vermiculite. It adds nothing to your mix except water-holding capacity. If you live in a very dry area, then use it, otherwise drop it from the mix. I also similarly dislike perlite, again it adds nothing, not even really drainage IME, it just takes up space and floats to the top. If you feel the mix is too heavy without it, if you can source rice hulls that's what I would use in place.

I can't really speak to the amounts of amendments you're adding because I don't know how much the 'parts' are comprising. I don't think you need the same amount of Azomite as fish bone, kelp, alfalfa meal, SRT or green sand. There's not much point in adding diatomaceous earth to the mix and it very well may sludge the mix up and make it too heavy.

Unless you weren't asking for an opinion, but simply sharing your recipe, in which case, carry on!

Medicab

Medicab

I think yes. Worm castings are a good source of humus.

I personally detest vermiculite. It adds nothing to your mix except water-holding capacity. If you live in a very dry area, then use it, otherwise drop it from the mix. I also similarly dislike perlite, again it adds nothing, not even really drainage IME, it just takes up space and floats to the top. If you feel the mix is too heavy without it, if you can source rice hulls that's what I would use in place.

I can't really speak to the amounts of amendments you're adding because I don't know how much the 'parts' are comprising. I don't think you need the same amount of Azomite as fish bone, kelp, alfalfa meal, SRT or green sand. There's not much point in adding diatomaceous earth to the mix and it very well may sludge the mix up and make it too heavy.

Unless you weren't asking for an opinion, but simply sharing your recipe, in which case, carry on!

Just sharing, but still open to opinions. I do live in the desert, but that's not the only reason i use it. Vermiculite also retains twice its weight water, nutrients and trace elements. Hopefully some of my soil amendments will last a lot longer, and not get flushed out the bottom of my pots. I use a two litter soda bottle with the top cut off for the parts of the mix. I use four 3 gal pots in my grow cabinet, and all the parts and cups of amendments are repeated after the last item on the list is added. After repeating it four times I get about 20 gals of mix, its always nice to have some left over for my bonsai mothers. The amount of amendments are dialed in as you go, and may deffer with what you use as your base (coco, peat, or reused mix). Diatomaceous earth does have trace elements and is used to kill unwanted guests, but is not really necessary for the mix if you don't want it. I'm more concerned with aeration and nutrient retention then the weight of mix. The mix drains well and show no sign of sludge, so all is good so far.

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

but that's not the only reason i use it. Vermiculite also retains twice its weight water, nutrients and trace elements. Hopefully some of my soil amendments will last a lot longer, and not get flushed out the bottom of my pots.
Organic amendments aren't usually water soluble. [ureas could get flushed out]
That's part of the point of adding in Benes and not needing to pH your water.
Read "teaming with microbes" and "teaming with nutrients". Will help explain it better than I can.

Easy solution is if you see runoff, stop watering. Add less water next time, so you don't have ANY runoff.

Biggest reason I ditched Vermic/Perlite is $$$.
The other reasons are factors, but shit is pricey and organics is about making use of waste products and saving money.

420GoldMouf

420GoldMouf

Some very spiffy blends there folks! Nice.

My first grow I used nothing but Happy Frog soil in 5 gallon buckets, a few doses of General Organics Bloom in the flower stage and GO Ca/mg. Nothing more. Great Soil and natural sun, baby....and good genetic beans.

For next year I'll get fancy with Root Organics soil as a base and some other goodies (worm castings and other organic (clean) nutes)

Plants look good bro enjoy that smoke

Medicab

Medicab

Organic amendments aren't usually water soluble. [ureas could get flushed out]
That's part of the point of adding in Benes and not needing to pH your water.
Read "teaming with microbes" and "teaming with nutrients". Will help explain it better than I can.

Easy solution is if you see runoff, stop watering. Add less water next time, so you don't have ANY runoff.

Biggest reason I ditched Vermic/Perlite is $$$.
The other reasons are factors, but shit is pricey and organics is about making use of waste products and saving money.

Should have keep my soil mix to my self, didn't know there was so many vermic/perlite haters on this site lol.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

2 out of fourteen ingredients criticized is a succesfull recipe and alternatives were offered aswell and we all are working towards progressing....
So how long do you cook or compost your super soil? Peace

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Triple like ^^^^^

It's f'n expensive if you let it for a long time growing or short term growing

Medicab

Medicab

2 out of fourteen ingredients criticized is a succesfull recipe and alternatives were offered aswell and we all are working towards progressing....
So how long do you cook or compost your super soil? Peace

I let my mix cook between 4 and 6 weeks. I recycle my mix and don't plain on using any perlite or vermic for a long long time, with that said how i'm I wasting money? it was a one time deal. The next time I need aeration I plain on using pumice. Never used rice hulls so I don't know how the aeration will be effected when it starts to biodegrade.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I didn't say you wasted money it just adds up and thats somewhere I save money ....I reuse my medium and there's perlite in there I just won't buy no more

Latest posts

Top Bottom