Post your Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Roots growing up through the surface...I figure it's because there's no more room or they don't like what's at the bottom so there using everything up top first, I don't know.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They were probably already growing there and somehow ended up uncovered.

Patanjali

Patanjali

@INbreed312 I agree with Dunge, keep it simple. My main ingredients are kelp meal, neem meal, crab meal; and then a mineral mix of GRD, oyster shell, bentonite, and basalt. It is a waste of money to add mykos to a soil without plants - especially when you are adding salt. Leave the epsom salts out imo, add mykos at transplant. Add the rock dusts. They do have soluble ions, among other benefits.Keep the top feeder roots covered with mulch.

Good to see this thread hopping! ;)

Confidential Cheese

Confidential

Peace!
P-

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

My first batch was without areation (compost + peat = something akin to a tightly packed rapid rooter).
So started adding ~8 ft3 of high quality pine shavings (bedding material).
Upped my blood meal, and so far, no deficiencies from N. Everything looks great (minus a few bug problems in correction), the larger size of the shavings seems to really be helping to loosen and lighten my mix. I'll update the recipie when I get it all sorted out in the next few months. But so far, no composting of shaving causing N def, have a feeling they only use up so much nitrogen.

For beneficial bacteria, I only use one for my tea. http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/product/mycogrow-soluble-1-lb.html
Try the rest, then buy the best. Plus, these aren't just people getting rich off the 'movement', they are tree hugging hippies. Worked wonders on friends DWC after all other BBs failed.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Huh, I've been afraid to use the shavings from my chicken coop because I thought the wood would fix too much N during decomposition, but if it only takes a bit of blood meal that's fairly doable. Cool!

TheSmoker

TheSmoker

there seems to be a ton of soil recipes on a ton of threads.

Anyone recommend a good simple base organic soil for first time organic grower?

From readings I can see the base would start

1/3 peat moss
1/3 EWC
1/3 rice hulls.. being in Colorado I can find it cheap and local

Dolomite lime to stabilize Ph.. 1 cup per cubic foot

Here is were my confusion has begun.

Do I start with a organic dry fert like Dr Earths All purpose 5-5-5 for a good base then add kelp, alfalfa and rock dust

or

Do I try and source everything without the ALL purpose base? if I do, what amendments would be recommended?

Very interested in creating a great base soil before I move on to a " super soil", something that will sustain growth/life while I figure out how to also create a good tea regiment.

Thanks for the help or feedback

Patanjali

Patanjali

1/3 peat moss
1/3 EWC

Do I start with a organic dry fert like Dr Earths All purpose 5-5-5 for a good base then add kelp, alfalfa and rock dust

or

Do I try and source everything without the ALL purpose base? if I do, what amendments would be recommended?

Very interested in creating a great base soil before I move on to a " super soil", something that will sustain growth/life while I figure out how to also create a good tea regiment.

Woot CO growers! ;)

Couple things, EWC/compost is the life of your soil - don't skimp. Keep in mind rice hulls are going to break down pretty quickly. If you could source a little pumice or lava rock to go in there, might be a good thing. For amendments I would suggest the following per cu ft:

1/2c kelp
1/2c neem
1/2c crab meal
1/2c oyster shell
1/2c gypsum
3-4c rock dust (glacial rock dust or basalt works well)

Done...
P-

TheSmoker

TheSmoker

Woot CO growers! ;)

Couple things, EWC/compost is the life of your soil - don't skimp. Keep in mind rice hulls are going to break down pretty quickly. If you could source a little pumice or lava rock to go in there, might be a good thing. For amendments I would suggest the following per cu ft:

1/2c kelp
1/2c neem
1/2c crab meal
1/2c oyster shell
1/2c gypsum

Done...
P-

Thanks for the reply, my buddy actually was just telling me he had a bunch of lava rock for his soil, I will grab some off him.

Go Colorado!!!

TheSmoker

TheSmoker

Woot CO growers! ;)

1/2c kelp
1/2c neem
1/2c crab meal
1/2c oyster shell
1/2c gypsum

Done...
P-
Forgot to ask....is there a cook time to this recipe or does that only apply when using things with blood or guano?

Patanjali

Patanjali

Forgot to ask....is there a cook time to this recipe or does that only apply when using things with blood or guano?
I usually try and let it sit for a week or two, but I've been told that isn't necessary. I just mixed up a cu yrd of this mix with a friend a couple of days ago, and we planted directly into it. No problems so far. Just to stress this, the EWC/compost are the most important part of the mix. Fresh is better. Search out the best you can. Peat moss (Canadian sphagnum) can be bought at lowes or home depot for about $12 for a 3 cu ft' bale.

Peace!
P-

TheSmoker

TheSmoker

I usually try and let it sit for a week or two, but I've been told that isn't necessary. I just mixed up a cu yrd of this mix with a friend a couple of days ago, and we planted directly into it. No problems so far. Just to stress this, the EWC/compost are the most important part of the mix. Fresh is better. Search out the best you can. Peat moss (Canadian sphagnum) can be bought at lowes or home depot for about $12 for a 3 cu ft' bale.

Peace!
P-
I am going to Rocky Mountain Worm Company here in the Springs. Ive heard great things about there EWC, so im hoping to be getting some of the best around.

Do you use a tea or anything to help with microbe life?

W

Werkish

Hey guys,
Does this mix look okay to you?

to 1,5 cu ft soil
50/50 Goldlabel Specialmix(hot mix) and Goldlabel Special mix costom(Light mix. with coco)

Or should i just go with the light mix?

16 lb EWC
1/2 lb High P Batguano
1/2 lb Blood meal
5 oz Fish Bone Meal
5 oz Bone Meal
6 TBSP Oyster shell flour
6 TBSP Kelp meal
6 TBSP Alfalfa meal
1,5 TBSP Epsom Salt
2 TBSP Dolomite Lime
3 TBSP Azomite Powder
3 TBSP Silica Rich Pyrophyllite Clay
1 TBSP Humic Powder

I also got Diatomaceous Earth, shoult i put some of that in the soil or will it just be overkill?

Then let it cook for a month , let it sit in a bucket and stir it every day?

Thankful for all help, this is my first try on SuperSoil.

-Werkish

Last edited:
W

Werkish

Done some reading, some people seems to ditch Subcools supersoil and recommend ITG supersoil
Have anybody here grown with subcools and ITG's and noticed any difference in the yield and quality?
He have a big thread over at Grasscity
http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

Instead for blood meal, bone meal and guano he uses all natural fertilizer, epsoma tomato tone (3-4-6)
Is that really enough?

Last edited:
Patanjali

Patanjali

I am going to Rocky Mountain Worm Company here in the Springs. Ive heard great things about there EWC, so im hoping to be getting some of the best around.

Do you use a tea or anything to help with microbe life?
A large percentage of the humus material I mixed up on Sat was EWC from rmwc. I like to add 15% EWC and 15% compost to my mix. In addition to being a little easier on the wallet, I like the diversity of the compost.

I do use compost teas, and I follow Microbeman's directions pretty closely.

Peace!
P-

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

1/3 peat moss
1/3 EWC

or

Patanjali's made a good list to start, however, I am a real fan of Dr Earth as they make it VERY easy. That said, I also like to DIY and have stuff on hand to make additional tweaks if I feel it's necessary (which is to emphasize that I grow much by feel).

I've begun adding fish meal this year, we'll see how it does. Haven't been any hornets around to be attracted to it, otherwise in other years I have had problems with such amendments. You can also use Cal-Phos for additional Ca and P.

Out here the hulls take 2-3 years to break down, depending on soil life, moisture, etc.

Consider adding some form of char to your mix, and if you do so, consider making something like a fermented plant tea or nutrient solution to "charge" that char with.

Woot CO growers! ;)

1/2c kelp
1/2c neem
1/2c crab meal
1/2c oyster shell
1/2c gypsum

Done...
P-
Would you be including the oyster shell with the dolomite, or instead of?
I also like to add at least a cup of alfalfa (pellets or hay sweepings) to that mix, per foot/cu.

Patanjali

Patanjali

Patanjali's made a good list to start, however, I am a real fan of Dr Earth as they make it VERY easy. That said, I also like to DIY and have stuff on hand to make additional tweaks if I feel it's necessary (which is to emphasize that I grow much by feel).
Would you be including the oyster shell with the dolomite, or instead of?

I also like to add at least a cup of alfalfa (pellets or hay sweepings) to that mix, per foot/cu.
I would be adding the oyster shell instead of dolomite. I don't use lime in my mixes, just my preference.

Why do you feel it's important to add alfalfa in your soil mix? I always like to hear others' opinions. I consider it tolerable, but not preferable to put directly into the mix.

What do you need from Dr.Earth that you can't do yourself? I find once I built a good soil, there isn't really much I can do. Plants are pretty much on auto pilot. If anything I make an SST once a week. Maybe once every couple weeks an act or a kelp tea. Aloe foliar spray/ipm not nearly as often as I should. Life is good. ;)

With respect,
P-

Last edited:
Top Bottom