Pot And Pets: Should Dogs Get High?

• Thread starter Storm Raven
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Storm Raven

Storm Raven

by Marc Lallanilla

Miles, a 12-year-old Labrador retriever mix, was slowly dying of cancer. His owner, after seeing the effect that narcotic painkillers such as tramadol were having on Miles, decided to try something else: medical marijuana.

Within hours of taking a tincture of marijuana from a medical pot dispensary in Los Angeles, Miles' appetite returned, he stopped vomiting and began walking and running around. "It couldn't have been a coincidence," his owner told the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.

As marijuana's once-ironclad restrictions become more relaxed, and researchers begin to find more therapeutic uses for the formerly banned substance, pet owners around the world may be wondering: Is pot good for my pet?

Pot's health effects

Since 1970, marijuana has been classified by the federal government as a Schedule I controlled substance, meaning it has no recognized medical uses and a high potential for abuse, placing it in the same category as heroin and LSD.

Many medical authorities, including the American Medical Association and the National Association for Public Health Policy, scoff at pot's Schedule I designation. So do legions of people who openly buy the drug at pot dispensaries in the dozens of states and countries that allow medical use of marijuana.

But veterinarians warn that marijuana — despite its potential therapeutic benefits — isn't always a good choice for dogs, cats and other animals.

Two dogs died in Colorado from marijuana toxicosis after ingesting butter laced with medical-grade marijuana, according to a 2012 report in the Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care.

Puppy see, puppy do

The study's authors report that Colorado — which recently legalized the recreational use of marijuana — had experienced a fourfold increase in the number of pets seen in vet clinics for pot ingestion between 2005 and 2010, commensurate with an increasing number of licenses for medical marijuana during that period.

The problem is compounded when a pet eats marijuana contained in a food, such as chocolate brownies or raisin cookies, that is also unhealthy for pets. "If you give a dog a stick of butter or a bowl of cooking oil — marijuana or not — it's going to get sick," Colorado State University veterinarian and associate professor Timothy Hackett told Coloradoan.com.

"If you called me up and said your dog ate a whole tray of regular brownies, I'd be concerned enough to tell you to bring him in and induce vomiting," Hackett said. "If the dog ate one cookie or something like that, I'm not worried. I'm worried about you turning your back and a shoebox full of pot brownies being gone."

Is my dog stoned?

Marijuana doesn't affect dogs, cats and other animals exactly the same way it affects humans, according to experts. They may stumble around, look or act confused, appear sleepy or just dopey, Hackett said.

But in severe cases, dogs have reportedly shown symptoms like vomiting, tremors and incontinence, and rarely, some can die from marijuana toxicosis.

However, in the vast majority of cases involving marijuana ingestion, the animals simply get over it in a matter of hours. "I've seen many stoned dogs and most of them do just fine," Hackett said.

S

Seed Buyer

When I was in college I had a female Weimaraner eat a huge pan of pot brownies. She spent 2 days at the vet with a Valium IV in her leg. Vet knew exactly what the score was. Those dogs are indestructible.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Vet knew the score. Dumb ass college kid doesn't know that the dog will be just fine, but this vet bill will be really expensive. An IV of Valium? You couldn't just pet your dog to calm it down? That vet got you good.

Pot and animals don't mix. They don't understand why they are "off". It's cruel.

Last edited:
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
One of my dogs is on a hydrocodone cough syrup ( For the rest of his life ) prolly cpl more years..Long story.

And i know he was getting high off that shit at first lol

So i dunno if they can have opium i don't see why they can't have cannabis, But like humans they can have TOO much and over due it.. I think people forget how small they are they need FAR less then a human would need, and they have no tolerance so the dose would have to be beyond ultra small.

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

I never get my dog high. I just saw the article and thought people might be interested in this subject. I have had friends get their dog high but I have never done so with my animals.

I had a horse once that liked beer. If you walked out in the pasture or up to the fence with an open beer my horse would try to take it from you. Again I never gave my horse a beer but he did think he wanted one.

B

brimck325

I give my dog infused butter when she's hurting. The dosage is very important....what ever you think would be a small dose for the size of your dog, cut into at least 5 pieces. A tiny, tiny bit goes a long way. It's supposed to help em, so please don't over do it n scare the shit out of em and make em feel horrible.
I see the effects in about 45 minutes with my dog. She starts running around n playing, then grubs and a short nap. It usually keeps her feeling good for 3-4 days depending on the weather.

S

Seed Buyer

Vet knew the score. Dumb ass college kid doesn't know that the dog will be just fine, but this vet bill will be really expensive. An IV of Valium? You couldn't just pet your dog to calm it down? That vet got you good.

Pot and animals don't mix. They don't understand why they are "off". It's cruel.

Yeah, he got me for about $2,000 if I remember correctly. The brownies were stronger than any acid or micro dot I had ever eaten and I never made them again. I would never give my pets anything like that on purpose. If you ever had a Weimaraner you would understand their craziness. The dog is 14 now and I think I am about $12,000 into emergency vet bills thus far. Still would not trade her for the world!

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

@Seed Buyer Vet get me also, don't feel bad. Dog tipped over the garbage that had a full tray of pot brownies. Didn't know what she ate until we were already 1 grand deep at the e-vet. As soon as I figured it out, I stopped all treatment and took her home. As soon as she got home she slept for a good 18 hours. Was more worried about the chocolate than the pot.

alaskind

alaskind

I was livin in willits ca. (mendo) when my pitty got ahold of a small button of water hash... I didnt know what was up, cause he was acting waaaay off: was sitting quietly, hanging his head, and when would flinch at noise.... wierd , cause this was a young male pit that hardly noticed anything that wasnt food or a plaything. So I ran him down to the local vet, and she took a single look at him and asked "has he had acces to marijauna recently?" no BS, she had seen it plenty of times... told me to take him home, give him a quiet room, some water in a bowl, and a comfortable place to sleep it off... never charged me a dime... good stuff from vet.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Almost killed my homies 2 dogs. First it ingested butter dripped on the floor. He was out of it for 3days shitting and pissing on himself.
the second time it was 4 cookies, fucking dog has no table manners, we induced vomiting with h2o2 and he recovered in a few hrs.

jimmy the hat

jimmy the hat

iv had dogs my entire life..... seen them eat brownies, mushrooms, blow, and once a few drops of blotter acid(he stared at the bushes for hours, recovered nicely)... saw a pit eat 3/4oz and 250 cash never even flinched(except the ass whoopin his owner gave him), also had a pup eat half a joint and get crazy tremors....different dogs, different reactions... in response to @Bulldog11 comment about pets and pot not mixing..... I have seen many dogs follow the joint around the room and bark when they are skipped, and most recently my 5yr sheppard/collie who likes a hit blown at him time to time and lets you know when he does, so while not for all pets I have come across a few recreational users who I don't think would consider it cruel

alaskind

alaskind

I have a cat that will sit on my lap when Im puffin bubble.... doesnt think much about flowers tho.... think Ima try to find some catnip to grow for him.... hmmmm

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I have a cat that will sit on my lap when Im puffin bubble.... doesnt think much about flowers tho.... think Ima try to find some catnip to grow for him.... hmmmm

Shit if you lived closer my backyard has been taken over by catnip, Becareful if you do plant it the shit will GROW and GROW and keep fuckin growing lol before you know it your gonna have a row of catnip lol

Which would explain why all the cats seem to prefer my yard.. :\

F

FooDoo

My pit likes to lay by my feet when I trim and eat anything that misses the bucket and falls on the floor. I've never seen her high tho like where she's stumbling around. In hs my buddy had this little lap dog and when his older brother and a few guys would roll a blunt and smoke the lap dog would jump from person to person and follow the blunt around the rotation.

Morally I wouldn't blow hits in my dogs face but if she chooses to eat some sugar leaves off the floor then that's on her lol

Top Bottom