• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Pot Clinic Opens In Monterey Without City's OK
Clinic Started Dispensing Marijuana 4 Days Ago

POSTED: 4:55 pm PST January 5, 2010
UPDATED: 8:35 pm PST January 5, 2010

MONTEREY, Calif. -- A medical marijuana dispensary has opened in the heart of Monterey, and that is news to people at City Hall.

Nestled between restaurants and a beauty parlor in the 500 block of Lighthouse Avenue, the My Caregiver Cooperative started dispensing marijuana to patients just four days ago.

Officials at Monterey City Hall said they were surprised to learn a pot clinic had opened in Monterey.

Although My Caregiver Cooperative registered their operation with the city, operators failed to mention that they would be distributing medical marijuana. Instead, the business was listed as a health care cooperative.

Officials with the marijuana dispensary said they do offer herbal supplements and vitamins, but never told the building's landlord or City Hall about the marijuana.

Although medicinal marijuana dispensaries are not allowed in the city, City Manager Fred Meurer said he is taking an administrative approach before the issue goes before City Council.

"We'll see what happens," said Monterey City Manager Fred Meurer. "We'll take a look at it and will respond appropriately. We're not going to over respond one way or (the) other. I don't have a SWAT team on the way."

Operators of the marijuana clinic, meanwhile, said they are operating legally.

"We checked the entire city charter and (there is) no wording in there that actually says anything about medicinal cannabis (or) any prohibition to medicinal marijuana," said clinic director Jhonrico Carrnshimba. "Instead, there are exceptions for a cooperative entity to establish business in this area, which (is) what we've done."

The situation Monterey now finds itself in is similar to what Gilroy faced in November, when a medical marijuana dispensary opened without the city's OK. In Gilroy's case, the situation has turned into a legal fight that is now making its way through the courts.

The Monterey City Council is set to meet Tuesday night, but it is currently unclear if they will address the medical marijuana dispensary.

"It's not a good idea. I don't want neighbor selling marijuana to people here and I thought that supposed to be illegal," said Eli Saliba, who owns a business near the dispensary.

"I tell you what, if it helps people and really helps them I have no objection for them doing it," said Norma Tucker, who works near dispensary.

The medical pot club was opened by the same man who tried to open clinics in Seaside and Marina. A legal battle may now play out between him and the city of Monterey and on Tuesday Action News learned that Pacific Grove may be the next target for a medical pot clinic.

The person who tried to open a dispensary in Sand City, a couple of months ago, will go before the Pacific Grove City Council on Wednesday with his plans for a dispensary there.

C

communithc

monterey

hopefuly the dispensary will work everything out

A

ARTofMAKINGfire

Interesting world you guys live in out there....

SWAT would be on the way in Brooklyn....

We're still living it out here.

Hope that works out for you guys.

Cali smoke

Cali smoke

News update

Monterey marijuana dispensary told to cease operation

The City of Monterey has issued a cease-and-desist letter to a medical marijuana dispensary which opened last year, but whose actual business was unknown to city staff until last week.

The letter to halt all operations was sent Monday to MyCaregiver Cooperative Inc., at 554 Lighthouse Ave.

A director of MyCaregiver Cooperative has disputed the city's claim that the dispensary is illegally operating. The business is a private club, he said, meeting the needs of its members. The dispensary is the only one of its kind in Monterey County.

In the letter issued by Fred Cohn, the city's assistant manager, the dispensary's owners were notified that the information submitted to the city about the business was incomplete. According to the city, the cooperative was listed on the business license as a health-care-related operation and a retailer.

According to the letter, owners of the medical marijuana cooperative have 10 days from the date of the cease-and-desist order to appeal the decision to the Planning Commission.

M

marijuana9

Find Medical Marijuana Dispensary Listings

I have an idea about this information, medical marijuana dispensary and the nature of the business was not fully disclosed when a business license was applied for. The application listed MyCaregiver Inc. as a "Healthcare Cooperative/Individual & Family Services,"

Carnack

Carnack

Premium Member
Supporter
He's not going to be allowed to operate. Monterey is Draconian and run by the "Good Old Boys"..never, ever happen.

fractal

fractal

he just neeeds a good lawyer. Cities cannot do anything about stopping pot clubs when it is a statewide measure.

S

SRHninja

well im jus glad to hear them say "WERE NOT SENDING THE SWAT" im suprised... they need to chill out.. prosecuting a bunch of hippies crossing imaginary lines... hahahaha

I truly believe that American Law Enforcement uses the Drug War to cover up the fact that if they weren't out here harassing the shit out of the marijuana culture they would have their finger up their ass..... (They use the BIG POT BUST's to sweep all the murders and unsolved rapes and missing persons under the rug...) "its a cop out" what an irony...

Whats sad is that one day our culture that has been slandered and prosecuted for decades is going to be relied on and embraced by the same people who fought against us on the other side.....

All those politicians who denied us over and over will be using marijuana as a way to campaign i will not vote or support anyone in the future who wasnt with us in these days of persecution! we must ALWAYS remember the fight!

O

oldhand

He's not going to be allowed to operate. Monterey is Draconian and run by the "Good Old Boys"..never, ever happen.

Do I know you from somewhere Carnack? or do you go by another nick somewhere else?

P

potgirl420

Fight for our rights to medicate

I am a loyal member of Mycaregiver in Monterey, CA. This whole issue is very sad to me. There are so many medical marijuana patients in this area who have a real need for this collective. These patients are disabled and are not able to fight for their rights as others can. Mycaregiver is a collective, and a growing community that offers more than just medicinal marijuana. We are not a dispensary, and we are in no way distributing marijuana. We are not a distributer, we are a club and function as a club.

This medicinal marijuana movement is so much more than just medicinal marijuana. This movement is about human rights, our right to make our own decisions about how we medicate ourselves. People medicate themselves everyday with alcohol, and yet alcohol causes many deaths and illness and suffering in many, and yet alcohol is an accepted remedy.

I could go on and on about my beliefs about this issue. My parting words are that we all have to keep fighting so we can lift the stigma that has been put upon marijuana.
:damnhippie:

D

Doomsterx

damn wonder what happened hope it stayed open i am from santa cruz right by there would be tight if monteray allowed that

Carnack

Carnack

Premium Member
Supporter
We do indirectly...

Do I know you from somewhere Carnack? or do you go by another nick somewhere else?

I think we have common friends old hand.

I have just started posting on this site so until my post count improves its a bit of a slow process to communicate.

PM me and maybe I can respond...lol!

Cheers!

Carnack

Carnack

Premium Member
Supporter
Unfortunately I knew this was going to be the outcome.

I am VERY familiar how the corrupt Monterey Court system operates. Its payola and under the table legal decisions of the very worst kind. 100% corrupt. 100% Nazi.

It's unfortunate about the clinic's demise, but absolutely predictable.

Top Bottom