Pot in diff rent pots ?

• Thread starter Alwispy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Alwispy

Memphisto beans Sour Stomper, hatched same day, both treated exactly the same growing side by side. Just starting week three. Guys at the shop said the textured not the smooth sided plastic pots grows better than felt pots. I laughed and thought they were kidding, so I’m decided to do a test. Is this just a coincidence ? 🤔
Both filled with Pro Mix HP that’s it. I am watering the fabric twice as much as the plastic. Let’s see how things continue.
Cheers

Pot in diff rent pots
Pot in diff rent pots 2
Pot in diff rent pots 3
Pot in diff rent pots 4
Pot in diff rent pots 5
Pot in diff rent pots 6
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I don't think you have enough data to come to a firm conclusion, because there can be so much variability within the same strain/cross. But certainly you might be leaning toward hard sided pots with textured sides now.

I have found no differences between them, over the years, but others swear by cloth pots.

A

Alwispy

I don't think you have enough data to come to a firm conclusion, because there can be so much variability within the same strain/cross. But certainly you might be leaning toward hard sided pots with textured sides now.

I have found no differences between them, over the years, but others swear by cloth pots.
Your totally right about the “data” , I just thought it was kinda funny after what the guys said. I shared this more as kinda of a laugh, but it has got me thinking a bit. Perhaps down the road I will do more “Pot” testing… now where did that lighter go, I need to do a test right now I think 🧐
Haha cheers !

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Your totally right about the “data” , I just thought it was kinda funny after what the guys said. I shared this more as kinda of a laugh, but it has got me thinking a bit. Perhaps down the road I will do more “Pot” testing… now where did that lighter go, I need to do a test right now I think 🧐
Haha cheers !
I've grown in both and I like how the roots growth through the soil in fabric pots. In plastic the roots hug the sides and coil the bottom....I've broken open 5 gal plastic pots root masses with almost no roots growing in the center. That makes it easy to use in the garden...But with fabric pots the roots grow through the soil, zero roots wrap or coil the bottom. and its harder to bust them up.........It has to be better for nutrient absorption for he roots in fabric than in plastic imho

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I've grown in both and I like how the roots growth through the soil in fabric pots. In plastic the roots hug the sides and coil the bottom....I've broken open 5 gal plastic pots root masses with almost no roots growing in the center. That makes it easy to use in the garden...But with fabric pots the roots grow through the soil, zero roots wrap or coil the bottom. and its harder to bust them up.........It has to be better for nutrient absorption for he roots in fabric than in plastic imho
Ive grown in both as well and at the end of the day, i prefer my fabric pots for the same reason. My plastic ones look just like the ones OP posted, 2 gallon nursery pots. They're decent for autos but i wont put anither photoperiod in one.

Last time i transplanted from solo cups to 2 gallon nursery pots i only got 1 week before they needed to be potted up again cause they were already so rootbound i had to cut the bottom 2 or 3 inches of soil and roots off. So now i just go solo cup to 5 gallon fabric bags plus the fabric bags air prune roots which is wicked helpful.

A

Alwispy

Your totally right PC , I have experienced the same results as you. The only problem I have with fabric is outdoors in hot weather. When it gets hot 🥵 out I was watering sometimes 2-3 times a Day. Way too labour intensive for me, I do have a life (I think haha) . For the hot summer months the best I find for me anyhow, is to get the plants directly into a nice soil bed and forget the pots altogether.There’s something about see cannabis planted directly in the ground gently swaying in the breeze. 🌴Awwww so peaceful ✌️
Cheers!

Last edited:
Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Your totally right PC , I have experienced the same results as you. The only problem I have experienced with fabric is outdoors in hot weather. When it gets hot 🥵 out I was watering sometimes 2-3 times a Day. Way too labour intensive for me, I do have a life (I think haha) . For the hot summer months the best I find for me anyhow, is to get the plants directly into a nice soil bed and forget the pots altogether.
Cheers!
Next outdoor grow just plant the fabric bag in the ground, roots will grow right through them. I had that issue last summer when it was 95-103 for 3 weeks, i was watering 3 and 4 times a day. Even my garden bed thats 3'x6' and had 30 inches of soil in it was being watered twice a day cause plants were just wilted right up.

A

Alwispy

Next outdoor grow just plant the fabric bag in the ground, roots will grow right through them. I had that issue last summer when it was 95-103 for 3 weeks, i was watering 3 and 4 times a day. Even my garden bed thats 3'x6' and had 30 inches of soil in it was being watered twice a day cause plants were just wilted right up.
Haha , I hear ya. Reminds me of the ol’ gorilla grow days when we used to blast the seeds directly into the ground . Those were some crazy times, and talk about work ! What a riot ! 😎

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Haha , I hear ya. Reminds me of the ol’e gorilla grow days when we used to blast the seeds directly into the ground . What a riot ! 😎
Tried that once, didnt work so well, never tried it again. Plant grew like i inches and died. Ground is to hard around here.

A

Alwispy

Tried that once, didnt work so well, never tried it again. Plant grew like i inches and died. Ground is to hard around here.
Tough ground is crappy alright. One of the biggest issues we had wasn’t with soil but rather with predators, rodents, animals and everything else that was foraging for food. The wild is so peaceful until you set out some nice green “food “. Haha

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Your totally right PC , I have experienced the same results as you. The only problem I have with fabric is outdoors in hot weather. When it gets hot 🥵 out I was watering sometimes 2-3 times a Day. Way too labour intensive for me, I do have a life (I think haha) . For the hot summer months the best I find for me anyhow, is to get the plants directly into a nice soil bed and forget the pots altogether.There’s something about see cannabis planted directly in the ground gently swaying in the breeze. 🌴Awwww so peaceful ✌️
Cheers!
100% agree last year I had a heck of a time keeping them in water. 2 days and that was it, I'd come down in the AM and they'd be hanging like dead.....I'm going to try putting the fabric pots inside of my plastic bucket that are well aerated if I have flowering through July Aug this year...

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Ive grown in both as well and at the end of the day, i prefer my fabric pots for the same reason. My plastic ones look just like the ones OP posted, 2 gallon nursery pots. They're decent for autos but i wont put anither photoperiod in one.

Last time i transplanted from solo cups to 2 gallon nursery pots i only got 1 week before they needed to be potted up again cause they were already so rootbound i had to cut the bottom 2 or 3 inches of soil and roots off. So now i just go solo cup to 5 gallon fabric bags plus the fabric bags air prune roots which is wicked helpful.
I go from Solo - 3/4 - 1 gal then 3 gal...I'm done with 5 gal indoors , I don't need them.

A

Alwispy

100% agree last year I had a heck of a time keeping them in water. 2 days and that was it, I'd come down in the AM and they'd be hanging like dead.....I'm going to try putting the fabric pots inside of my plastic bucket that are well aerated if I have flowering through July Aug this year...
Every year I usually get three runs of autos outdoors but the past few years it’s been so friggin hot that I’m constantly fighting mould. Regular seeds don’t kick into flowering till the second week in August which puts them into October or November. It’s not only colder temperatures but rain and mould again. I have lost far too many outdoor plants due to mold. It’s frustrating to have an awesome crop only to have it ruined in the final weeks. So this year I’m focussing on indoors, and I’ll probably just quit in the middle of the Summer. 😎

Last edited:
A

Alwispy

I go from Solo - 3/4 - 1 gal then 3 gal...I'm done with 5 gal indoors , I don't need them.
I agree indoors I use too go up to five gal but I have long since switched to 2-3 gal. Not only are they easier to move but I can pack more in. Haha, sides I find that 5 gal is overkill unless you’re saving moma’s.
🥸

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Every year I usually get three runs of autos outdoors but the past few years it’s been so friggin hot that I’m constantly fighting mould. Regular seeds don’t kick into flowering till the second week in August which puts them into October or November. It’s not only colder temperatures but rain and mould again. I have lost far too many outdoor plants due to mold. It’s frustrating to have an awesome crop only to have it ruined in the final weeks. So this year I’m focussing on indoors, and I’ll probably just quit in the middle of the Summer. 😎
Is that a copy paste of one of my older posts?....except for the auto's I've never grown outdoors. We get damp cold dreary weather in Oct most years, last year was an exception and I can't count on an outdoor grow to be harvest-able. I did grow some outside a few years back but they got pm and pulled around 7 weeks...so ya crappola. I've been indoors now 20+ years growing crap mostly until I found this place and started learning how to be successful consistently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom