pot size = bud size

• Thread starter greenthumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

greenthumb

im doing a experiment at the moment.
i got to wondering the other week which set of roots was more important when it comes to fat chunky buds. The lateral roots or the depth the roots get to.
So i have got 3 different size planters.
1 10ltr tub for washing pots which is wide but about 15cm tall
a 10ltr round pot which is about 20cm tall and not as wide and a 10ltr square hydro pot which is not as wide but taller.
all the plants are the same strain (northern lights)and the same age and size all potted in coco with clayballs and perlight with added mycorz fungi.
what do you think is more impotant hieght or width?

G

greenthumb

probably but when you re pot the roots are around the outside of the pots and not as many in the acutal middle part of th substrate.
it might not make any difference but im curious and the only way to find out and to advance your knowledge and skill level is buy asking questions and always challenging what people tell you and doing it yourself .

H

hoki2test

:smokeReally great idea...im interested to know the outcome myself,please keep us updated and keep up da good work:smoke

P

paco666

gonna vote height.....i think the tap root is more important to the overall growth of the plant....than again i've grown rather large indoor plants in boxes much wider than tall.... by not flipping my sog when i should have...

G

greenthumb

thats it you see i think the plants will get taller with a longer tap root but im hopeing that a wider pot will be the key to fat dense buds.because if thats the case i will be getting one of those large 400ltr hydro tank its 220cm x 120cm x 25cm and that would make a perfect size planter for my room.
ill take some pics of the plants and pots when lights come on ok.

purpleberry

purpleberry

You need many plants in each size pot to get information on what size they like best. Plants know how much space u give them above and below the soil. Ive done 2 grows with the same strain flowered at the same time, one was in 1.75 gallon rose pots 7x10" and the other in 3.5 gallon 10x10". In the rose pots they were a little taller and skiny buds with some side branchs reaching taller then the main bud, with 16 plants in a 3x3 area. With 3.5gallon I used 9 pots and plants were about the same hieght but the buds were fatter with side branchs staying lower and getting fat. Yeild was same either way.
My guess is your planst will like the wider pots, its like a drip line on a tree, the branchs will go out as far the roots if they have the space above the pot also. Id figure out how many planst u want under the light and get the biggest pots that will fit.

G

greenthumb

i know that only 3 plants is not conclusive proof and i would need to do lots of grows but then again im not a scientist and this is just for fun as i will be using 11 ltr square hydro pots whatever the out come as i can fit 36 in my flower room and i wouldnt be able to fit as many in with the other pots.
and the hydro tray is to expensive at the moment.
12 big plants fits very nicely in 30ltr pots.but i suppose it doesnt matter in the end as 1200watts hps and a 10uvb strip light will only yeald 1200 gram max anyway.

P

Professor P

definitely think it's both depth and width.. because if a pot is too deep it dries out unevenly, when a pot is wide as well as deep, the roots seem to drink more even.

here's a pic of an oregon medicine man in a 14 gallon rubbermaid tub. I've yielded 14 oz. out of one of these pots. 1 oz. per gallon :)

MenMan full plant
B

bluejay

The only way to get detailed proof is that the plants need to be all the same clones...

The variable of 3 seed grown plants wont tell you what you are looking for...You will not know what is genetic induced...

Love science...

G

grizz

there is so many varibles to consider, veg time, strain, watts. temp, humidity, on and on. I have grown big buds in a 1 gl pot and small buds in a 15 gl pot,

K

Kushtard

I am working on something similiar. I am checking lst versus topping versus leaving it alone.

I am in two tents. 4z4z6. I am using two cool tubes and two Lumateks. A 600 and a 400.

I am using seven gallon grow bags of heavily amended soil. Basically a super soil recipe like the ones you find on google. Sub cools is popular I know but I add kelp and am branching out to peat. BIG CHUNKY PERLITE. Water only as the grow progresses.

ANYWAY< lol, I have topped one at the second node and created four tops. The first and two nodes. Next I doubled the next plant at about eight nodes and zip tied it to it's own stalk. (my personal favorite so far, my origanal try), next I have one that is growing naturally! This is all in fun. I am in the mids of what seems like a lot of work for my day off all oif the sudden. Lol, nah.

So any way only the lst'd plant and the four topped plant are in flower so far. It is awesome as the one with the lst has eight tops or more, I forget and it is their dark period. Now here it get more interesting. The one with the eight tops has the same size buds so far as the one with fewer tops! So basically I can conclude so far that these plants can handle a lot of asking. I mean I have one trained for 8+ colas and it is doing it and one trained for 4 colas max and it is the same size!

The thing is this is all being done with white widow skunk. So my results are cool to have but now I have other strains to learn. I have og skunk the 18 and I have THE OG FIRE! It has been a happy day for a slow year. ty all.:)

G

greenthumb

the 3

they all have the same amount of coco and have been grown in the same place from germination.
i would have used clones but the only clones i have have gone into a little breeding project im doing anyway these are the plants and pots.

Sink tub 10ltr
Round pot10ltr
Square pot 11ltr
Top Bottom