Pot sizes

• Thread starter Rockstars
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Rockstars

I'm starting my 1st grow very soon and was wondering why people transplant multiple times. I;m starting from seed and was hoping that i could just transplant once. Would if be bad to go from a 16oz cup straight to a 5gal? Or should i take the steps to get there? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

J

johndeere

That will work fine , just make sure you have utilized the 16 oz cups soil and have an outer root mass that way it will instantly take to its new home. this will make the transition smooth as a babies butt.

hiboy

hiboy

One reason to go small first is if your hatching from seed like you are,, you might be wasting all that dirt and nutes for a larger container and the result could be some males in the group, . Also room for vegging can be tighter, lots of little reasons. Got to see what works for you
hiboy

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Starting small, and transplanting into gradually larger containers will allow the root ball to grow more dense as you go.
Say you pop a seed in a seed starter or rockwool, once the roots have taken over that media, you repot into a jiffy pot- or 16 oz beer cup with drainage cuts works just as well- and the roots have new boundaries within which to grow as densely as possible. Dense roots make healthy, strong plants. Once the new media is overrun with roots, and they have circled the container a bit, you can move it into a larger pot, generally 8 to 10 gallons at most- then on up into the 50's and 100's if you get there.

Popping a seed in an 8 gallon container for example will result in a stringy, sparse system of roots whereby a strong gust of wind or not so gentle handling could probably rip the plant away from it's roots.

And as Hiboy said, you don't want to be be watering and nutrifying 8 gallons of soil that houses a seedling whose totality encompasses the size of a jar of peanutbutter

R

Rockstars

thanks for the advice ill probably take the steps to the 5gal.

H

heshani1999

I have an idea of start growing in pots.After growing plants in small pots is it ok to change the pot size ? Can it harm the roots while it changing the pots ?

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
I have an idea of start growing in pots.After growing plants in small pots is it ok to change the pot size ? Can it harm the roots while it changing the pots ?

just be gentle, and everything will be fine. Squeeze the sides of the pot and dislodge the soil from the pot, and it should slide out when you upturn it

Top Bottom