Potency decreasing in cold climates. True or false?

• Thread starter CasperJesperOch
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CasperJesperOch

Hi there! I was thinking about posting this thread in the outdoor-section, but I figured the expertice to answer the question would be found here.

The thing is that I've heard this rumour on a Swedish website. Can't remember which one though. Nobody seemed to neither disagree nor agree in the thread as I remebered it.

In any case the claims was that: no matter how potent the strain, it will eventually degenerate potencywise over time untill it's someting close to hemp if grown outdoors in colder climates.
Obviously this decline in potency can be easily avoided by combining indoor and outdoor efforts.

Still it would be kind of fun to know if there's any truth to this claim?
Especially if one were to try and develope a nice hardy, selfsowing strain for producing hash.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'd be interested to see upon what this claim is based.

D

djonkoman

I think I've read something somewhere that if you let weed go it's natural course without human selection, all weed will go to something like fiberhemp, so you need to always do a selection for the effect, and in tropical countries they're already doing this for thousands of years(selecting the plants they like)
don't know how much truth is in that tough

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Djonkoman, that sounds completely plausible.

So, very quickly perusing that linked thread (thanks convex), looking at the latitudes of these countries makes me think of how people evolved white skin. So I'm wondering if there is indeed a loss in potency due to the angle of the sun and the fact that UV levels may (are? I don't know for sure) be significantly lower. UVB has been tied closely with THC and other cannabinoid production.

Fascinating.

I wonder what would happen to tomatoes if we just let them go.

Top Bottom