Potency Theories!

• Thread starter caveman4.20
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I am no scientist but I would like to make a few wild statements that may or may not be true;
I did alot of reading over the years and U know there is alot of BS out there I use to have a US govt. manual on Cannibus science performed at a major university. This maual stated that crossed genitcs cannot exceed the sum of the parents so they say no chance of a Frankenstien monster in the possible types. And that every plant has its own maximum limit of Enzyme production so there fore they claim that when U branch or grow a plant beyond its normal or natural size or range it lowers potency via increased distribution of the plants enzymes.
There is no info on Brix levels in cannibus but I wouuld imagine it applies all the same. AVT or ACT can significantly improve brix levels and I would imagine have an impact on potency and quality of potency.
My two cents worth. DrBudaCola
Depends on many things but mostly whos growing it and whos smoking it
i used to think that was true about ten clones all treated the same or best attempt and the smallest was the potent but
my buddy did the same thing and his smallest was as potent as my biggest

squiggly help me out if im on to something because i have no imperical data just keen observation ;) atleast i think so

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Seen 6pound plants outside just as potent as the same genetics grown 1 ft tall in a 2 gallon container. The same genetics have the same potency, now if the larger plant had more stressors or didn't fair as well maybe the smaller plant could be more potent. This theory has no theory....Why do you think smaller plants are more potent???
Im not sure myself and others included have seen this a few times so i was wondering what others thought and i officially changed the Theory part to Hypothesis

Baba G out of curiosity what have you observed that has caught your attention as far as potency? Wether its breeding or environmental factors and such?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Genetics and the environomental factors play a role for sure, some varietals are prone to heavy potency. Doesn't always have a direct lineation though, for example we have all seen 2 parents have a large child that maybe weight trained and became a mini arnold shwarzz...lol
The only way to breed for potency is to test a strain in a lab and get a high thc % or have people test it and find out that universally people find it potent and then breed with it. I wouldn't worry about much else, cooler temps and don't overfeed help with potency and don't overflush!! Flushed herb is slightly weaker than not as flushed herb! NOt to say you don't need a flush but if you flush for 2-3 weeks versus 7-10days, and didn't seriously overfeed during the cycle the 7-10days IME is always more potent and tested higher at labs...
There isn't one simple detail to hone in on this potency angle, it's complicated like life :D

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Really the flush part is new to me id love to hear more on convincing me that there is a casual relationship there.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
it's proven science bro, I don't waste my time on b.s.
Again I don't feel like searching for the proof but I know tis true and I've tested it for over a decade personally. fwiw

edit: If I came across where I read that I'll gladly share it with you but it was a few to several years ago and it reinforced what I had experienced for a long time, fwiw

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

eey bs hmmm its cool noones hurt and i find it hard too believe you would waste your time on anything so this smoke bud dry theory

like how dry our you talking cuz that indeed affects POTENCY and it still is on the subject jus curious how dry we talking after how long being harvested...

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
the WHY ASK WHY, SMOKE BUD DRY is humor mocking DRINK BUD DRY, since I prefer herb to alcohol big time. And obviously you can't smoke wet bud, you could vape it maybe but smoke it, no. It has to be dry. Drying is dependent on variables such as RH, temps and how one cuts down plants or trims dry or wet And on strain variation. I like a plant dried for 7-10 days, trimmed and I'm smoking it from then on but it's prob best at about 3 weeks off the plant. That gives it a nice week to two to dry and than it cures for a week or two and I like it til I run out of it...

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Nice Lol it got me going :D me too on the herb to alchohol and smoking wet bud bit depends on whos definition of wet ive smoked mine way before cure and the bud is hella sticky and still burns and the joint dont turn off like you think it might...and to vape is the opposite the drier the better it vapes and thats my opinion brother not talkin shit....ya i like it till i run out and have you ever endulged in slowly cured bud where all of the above factors are control ya know via rh, temp, darkness and such?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
all my herbs are controlled, slow cured pretty much. Can't really burn a bud til 2 weeks off the plant and then I smoke it til 2-3months it runs out. Burped jars every few days, I turn buds every few days always keeping jars fresh and never leave anything stored for too long.

I can't stand vaping besides my dabbing! But All I meant is that you physically can't burn 2 day dry buds but I know they will vape.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
55% RH, 67degrees, dark :D

Don't get me wrong, I smoke it from day 7-9 when I can chop it with scissors and sometimes it tastes better than than a period after that until it finally cures up. I love smoking it every day from then and noting the changes and such:)

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

yUh im uh smoker i love all buds even some pretendo buds catch my nose and i blaze so much its hard to tell when its not that potent i probly have to go a half day or so not blazing to let my levels drop to test buds for potency but on the other end of the spectrum to get higher when your already high has a potency level to watch out for...and im not on that dabbing tip YET cuz i dont know enough about those extracts and whats left behind when its not done right

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

ANd on the curing room i like it a lil dryer like 45% and a lil cooler 60 degrees if i can but thats just being picky of me and the dark ya thats just a whole nother grow room you know how it is

P

PurpleSticky

Smoking wet bud sucks. If it doesn't grind in my grinder, it tastes like dirt when I smoke it.

A little back on topic, is potency over quantity of trichomes which contain THC, or is there actually differences in potency within the trichome?

I'm no breeder, but I am a grower. How deep does the selection go when you're breeding? I'm just curious as to how picky you can be to stabilize just a certain trait that you find.

Does potency just come mostly from the abundance of trichomes?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

lol sorry to hear your wet bud taste like dirt....and no it does not parallel to number of trichromes.....
My most potent genotype or whatever the science term is for it is the Dj shorts FLO
It my fellow farmers grows purple trichs from week 5 on.... and that is a good sign of potency but their are many more im sure but that one i explained i stand by

Reactions: B.a
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

i wish i had a magnified pic but i dont i do have growing and cured pic though
Photo 35

View attachment pic 1 (1).pdf
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

not really color but getting trichromes other than clear ones so soon is something to look at just putting it out there!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

ive grown buds with various colors of trichs other than clear cloudy amber and violet ive seen pink orange yellow blue.....its a beautiful thing get a loop or something quick to see the trichs up close

squiggly

squiggly

So i give environment 80% of the credit and 20% DNA

While this analysis might seem the best way to go from the onset--if we look deeper into the science of what's happening we find that these two are inextricably linked (environment and DNA/its role) such that its not really proper to discuss their contributions independent of one another.

This is really what I try to get at mostly when I'm discussing genetics with people.

Yes genetics play an important role, and so does environment--but ultimately when you look at the results what you're getting is a DNA/environment combo. Previous environments affected the DNA that made it here in the first place, and the current environment will dictate which genetics you prefer for ANY living thing.

There is not 80/20 split. It's both of them, together.

You might take that potent weak plant down the street to a buddies environment and it will suck dick--while you take your unimpressive strong strain down there and it shits on yours.

See what I mean?

The DNA is what it is, and its going to do what it's going to do--but the environment is going to change that expression--and thus its going to change which strains we prefer and ultimately choose to breed with.

In this way trying to find the "perfect" environmental values (temp/RH/etc.) is going to greatly reduce the genetic diversity of the plant. We're picking plants for idealized environments and that might not always turn out as well as it has for us in the past 50 years.

Top Bottom