Potential light bleach?

• Thread starter Psyko694
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Psyko694

I was a nimrod, and put my plants outdoors in the sun, without thinking of breaking them in a few hours at a time. Luckily it was only yesterday. Today i moved them into the shade. What appears seems to be the beginning of light bleach, but a confirmation would be nice. Paired with curling taco leaves. Me bringing them outside being the only change in what were decent growing plants before i saw these symptoms today.

Potential light bleach
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Plants can get badly sunburned in one day, much like a person. Depending on how sunny it was, the plant might lose most of it's leaves and just about die before recovering slowly, or it might recover quickly. It all depends on how much UV light the plant got and how much, if any, conditioning the plant had before it's day in the sun. At least Cannabis grows quickly... my wife did the same with a huge Christmas Cactus. 75% died off and 5 years later it is still slowly recovering.

P

Psyko694

Plants can get badly sunburned in one day, much like a person. Depending on how sunny it was, the plant might lose most of it's leaves and just about die before recovering slowly, or it might recover quickly. It all depends on how much UV light the plant got and how much, if any, conditioning the plant had before it's day in the sun. At least Cannabis grows quickly... my wife did the same with a huge Christmas Cactus. 75% died off and 5 years later it is still slowly recovering.
How should i go about this. Leave them in a shaded area for a week then direct sunlight? Or a few hours of sunlight a day, then back to shade for the rest, for about a week.

420galgrower

420galgrower

Heat can definitely cause "taco" leaves. Just don't overcompensate by overwatering them. A shade tarp might be the perfect thing for you. It allows some light, but it will also protect your plants.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
How should i go about this. Leave them in a shaded area for a week then direct sunlight? Or a few hours of sunlight a day, then back to shade for the rest, for about a week.
A shade tarp works well, as mentioned. If you are going to have a few days of cloudy weather, that is a good time to put them out, since you still get UV during cloudy days, just not as much. This should harden them fairly fast. Usually they only need a few days, but once they are burned, they can be slow to recover. Either one of your suggestions is great, with an increasing exposure to direct sun being preferred. Cloudy days really work good, but you also seem to need a little direct sun for an hour or two in order to get them sun hardy. New growth is usually immune, so once the existing leaves are hardened, the remainder of the plant will be ok.

Top Bottom