Power Generator, What brand to Buy????

• Thread starter Giddeon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Giddeon

Giddeon

Looking into getting a Desil Generator anyone have any Expertise into what would be a good brand to buy??

I had a little 7000watt that ended up never working for me and had to send it back.

I'm looking for models that are easy to contain sound, <70 db preferably.

D

DazedNconfussed

i was also curious about info on genny's.....like their fuel consumption, and getting info on certain models to calc how many kilowatts per hour and fuel consumption....

Giddeon

Giddeon

Great Generators for sure but the only way to order is to correspond with a sales rep. Are they going to drill you with constant questions about how this generator will be used and others or is it a pretty hassle free process?

D

dusty

You're going to give them money so it's usually pretty easy to get a generator out of them.

They only thing they're going to ask you about is what you need to hook it up...transfer switches etc.,

I'm real happy with my MQ85..

S

ShorelineTex

is it possible to use a generator in an apartment?

Maybe not a diesel generator, but in like 5 years I bet fuel cell technology will be at the point where you can get one for home use. Just add hydrogen, and vent the hot water-vapor out somewhere that won't look too suspicious.

Giddeon

Giddeon

You're going to give them money so it's usually pretty easy to get a generator out of them.

They only thing they're going to ask you about is what you need to hook it up...transfer switches etc.,

I'm real happy with my MQ85..

What Routine maintenance does the MQ85 require? Is it just basic things such as oil changes every so many hours of run time, changing the glow plugs when needed, fuel and oil filter maintenance, or is there more to it then that?

I'm totally new into electrical shit I had just planned to run a line from my gen into a Breaker panel then split the power from there would this work? If you have any suggestions about a safer way to hook up generator power please fill me in.

D

dusty

That's all you need to do to keep it running. I use a twist lock plug to jack in. I have 3 units and swap every 18 says and then do the upkeep on them all while the crop dries

Giddeon

Giddeon

How long does fuel last? I see it says it has a 24 hour tank. Is that at full load? or would external fuel tank work to let it run for say a few days to a week on one tank of fuel?

D

dusty

I buy enough fuel for one crop and have a fuel cell that fills the day tank.

P

Punk

How realistic would it be for a diesel gen to last years if only ran for 13 hrs a day year round? With all maint done of course.

Seen a few remote lodges here use MQ power setups. The 56kw is pretty damn quiet. Lodge worker said it ran them 25,000 though. They had it pretty trick, ran the engine coolant through a heat exchanger the in turn heated the hydronic in floor heat system. Also has some sort of heat exchanger to use the heat from the exhaust.

If I only had the money lol.

Giddeon

Giddeon

I buy enough fuel for one crop and have a fuel cell that fills the day tank.

Is that system hard to set up?

Is that the way to go or is filling the Gen by hand easy just time consuming, or is filling it by hand really not an option?

D

dusty

If you have experience with fuel pumps, fuel line and fittings it's pretty easy.

The whole set up is very expensive. What's wrong with using the grid?

Giddeon

Giddeon

If you have experience with fuel pumps, fuel line and fittings it's pretty easy.

The whole set up is very expensive. What's wrong with using the grid?

Why do you run generator power and not grid?

B

Back Attack

Grid is waaay cheaper and safer! But if a gen is ur only option, MQPower is definately the way to go. Most reliable and super quite...

M

mrdizzle

whats up with natural gas generators? in reality, with the tier system out here in cali, natural gas would probably be cheaper than electric, my electric bill works out to about $80 a day, thats almost 25gal of fuel worth

D

dusty

Why do you run generator power and not grid?

There is no grid where my grow is and the amount of wattage I need is a lot..

Denyo/MQPower is the best.

No natural gas / propane generator will be able to stand up to powering a grow room for a whole cycle.

M

mrdizzle

I was going to PM you dusty for some more info. Ive read so many threads over on ICmag but its exhausting and I have found anyone whos actually doing it. I was planning on running just the lights on the generator, 8,000w and run everything else on the grid. would a 20kw unit work? whats your opinion. I realize its expensive but spending more to keep it of the grid is worth every cent

could you give any more info on your set up thanks brother

D

dusty

You can run 12K in lights plus all your A/Cs and extra shit on a 21kW MQPower.

If you want to run a genny grow you need multiple generators so you don't have an interrupt in power when you pull your unit for maintenance. You also want a whole unit for backup. At least 3 to have it be 100% off the grid and reliable...

Fuel cell too, can't be hauling fuel to the site every day, there is a diesel delivery truck up here that comes to fill my cell for each grow and I smoke a few fatties with the delivery driver.

Even though these are WhisperWatt units, they're still loud and unless you put them in a pit or an insulated shed, or have a few hundred acres ( even then your neighbors will hear that shit..trust me ) every one is going to know you're running your grow on a generator because NO ONE needs to run one for that long to do what you'd do with one normally which is charging batteries...

PM me with any questions about my actual set up.

Top Bottom