Power Loss Problem

• Thread starter mstngmusic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mstngmusic

So here is a question? I am sorry if there is another thread on this subject, but I couldn't find one.

With running MH and HPS lights, if you turn them off and try to turn them back on without giving some "cool down" time, the lights will not power back up and the ballasts make a loud humming sound. I understand that these lights need to cool down before they try to be re-lit.

If my home looses power for a split second in a storm or something due to a power serge when I'm not home, and my lights go out and try to re-start right away, what is the risk?

The last thing I want to have happen is to have a fire start because of something like this. I do have good power serge protector strips on all of my equipment for the record.

What will be the best way to handle this kind of situation? Is there a device that can automatically shut off all of my stuff until it is manually turned back on? I would rather loose a few plants rather than my home, lol!

Any suggestions...

Kosmo

Kosmo

what you are looking for is a 15min on-delay, a CAP HLC-2e
HLC-2.S.gif

or better yet, the HLC-3e. High Temp Shutdown & 15min On-delay
HLC-3.S.gif

get yourself a controller, if you dont already have one. Hook the trigger cord to the HLC-2e or 3e and your worry of "Hot Starts" are over..

W

wantaknow

my light just wont strike all the way for some time after an outage ,it does come on all the way it just takes a little longer ,with no problems ,the ballest are diamonds 1000 hps x3

M

mstngmusic

what you are looking for is a 15min on-delay, a CAP HLC-2e
HLC-2.S.gif

or better yet, the HLC-3e. High Temp Shutdown & 15min On-delay
HLC-3.S.gif

get yourself a controller, if you dont already have one. Hook the trigger cord to the HLC-2e or 3e and your worry of "Hot Starts" are over..

Good Stuff! That is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks!

M

MyRelief

options

I love the CAP products and you cant beat the pricing....for another option and more expensive is the ultimate though it is digital as some don't like that and some do but has many options and customization options.

scroll down to the second unit...

http://www.growgps.com/timers_lightcontrol.html

MDT-1 Master Digital Timer
Watch Demo Video

Download Catalog Page

Download Instructions

Click Here to Enlarge
Click Here to Enlarge
Coordinates 2 main timing functions in one convenient unit. It combines the function of the DRT-1 with the ability to control the photo period of HID Lighting in a 100% digital timer

Connect up to 1200 watts of HID lighting directly or use with HPH-4 or HPH-8 to connect as many lights as you want to control

Control HID lighting schedules with 24-hour time clock.

Integrated digital recycling timer can operate daytime, nighttime or 24 hours a day.

Digital recycling ON & OFF times can be programmed in hours, minutes and seconds.

Press and hold to display current temperature.

HI-Temp protection will disable HID Lights if the temperature exceeds the maximum level set by the user

If overheating happens, the unit logs the max temperature and the time it occurred.

Hot start prevention monitors the incoming power and will disable the HID lights in the event of a power failure. After a user adjustable delay, the HID lamps are permitted to re-start.

Remote Probe can be located up to 4 feet from unit

Re-settable circuit breaker built in

S

Sunshinegrower

It's not really a big deal unless you are always losing power. Think of how many buildings, streets and etc have MH/HPS and they don't catch on fire because of power cycling. Don't worry about it it 100% fine. I have way too much time in the electrical world and I can't ever remember a HID ballast catching fire and I have seen some f'd up shit out there. Your $$ would be better spent on something that you really need.

M

mstngmusic

It's not really a big deal unless you are always losing power. Think of how many buildings, streets and etc have MH/HPS and they don't catch on fire because of power cycling. Don't worry about it it 100% fine. I have way too much time in the electrical world and I can't ever remember a HID ballast catching fire and I have seen some f'd up shit out there. Your $$ would be better spent on something that you really need.

After posting this thread, I was thinking the same thing as you, lol! Thanks!

I

InvisibleM

Some of the newer digital ballasts I think have some kind of delay before re-strike. Even with the power on, older ballasts won't light up until they have cooled down... so does it shorten the lamp life, I'm not sure but I don't worry about it.

M

mstngmusic

Some of the newer digital ballasts I think have some kind of delay before re-strike. Even with the power on, older ballasts won't light up until they have cooled down... so does it shorten the lamp life, I'm not sure but I don't worry about it.

I have actually switched back to the analog ballasts after having a bad experience with a digital one. I purchased a 600 watt switchable ballast and was having problems where the casing was shocking me. Come to find that it was a cheap Chinese knock off that I picked up from Amazon. I do not completely doubt digital ballasts, but when that happened, I just went to the local "ponics" store and bought the good ol' traditional analog ballast, lol!

I appreciate the heads up though, I was not aware of that feature on a digital.

Top Bottom