Power OUTage

• Thread starter smokestack23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

smokestack23

So the other day my wife asks...what if the power goes out? I tell her than for the veg room it doesnt matter but if it happens when the flower room lights are on, we have to unplug everything and leave it off until the next on cycle.

So naturally, since it was fresh in my mind, last night I had a dream. In my dream my wife was shaking me saying..baby wake up..the power went out. BABY..WAKE UP..the power is out! I go..SO? She says..well what should I do? I say.."just close the door." ....?? Close the door?? WTF??

At like 5:30am I get up to go pee. I go to the shroom..click.....click.....CLICK CLICK...no lights!!...OH SHIT...I wasn't dreaming...the power really IS out.

I run downstairs and stumble around trying to quickly unplug all the lights before it comes back on. I go back to bed and get up alater and still no electricity.
I call the company and they say they'll get someone to our street to check it out.
by noonish there were a few electric company trucks outside. I go out to chat and it turns out that a tree fell and our tranny blew up. It's gonna be several more hours.
No biggie...lights don't come on till 9pm anyway...BUT...yikes...I do RDWC! It's been at least ten hours with no air bubbles and no circulation!
I fired-up the generator and plugged the water pumps and air pumps in.

Power came back on in the mid/late afternoon.

What's the moral of the story you ask? When you have a dream that the pow...uhhh..wait..that's not it...
GET A GENERATOR!!!

I bought this 3000W (4000 surge) unit the year before last for camping. This year we bought an RV that has a built in gen. I was gonna sell this one. Thank GOD I didn't.
It's a cheap brand. Regular like 500 bones but they go on sale all the time for $299 and...when I bought this one, something fucked-up and they only charged me $199 (didn't notice until about 2 weeks later when I got my VISA statement otherwise I woulda said something..really I would).

It isn't unreasonable to think that we could realistically have an outage that lasts for days. Especially in the winter.

A 300W generator isn't gonna run your HID lights but it WILL keep your pumps, fans, and if necessary..a bunch of CFLs going just to keep the light cycle intact..as well as your fridge and modem and router and computers and shit.

I was gonna say that a generator is inexpensive peace of mind..but now that I think about it...500 bucks isnt busfare.
You CAN get a 1kW or 1200watter for under $200 though and that would keep you safe too.

Anyway...just wanted to share my goofy scary story and let everyone know that it CAN happen to YOU and if you're doing DWC, RDWC, NFT, Aero, E&F etc...well..without power for your air and water pumps...I recon you could be completely wiped out in like 24 hours-ish?.
Now 2 or 3 or even FIVE hundred $ doesn't seem so bad if you're saving tens of thousands or more worth of plants does it!

PEACE and sweet dreams.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Whoa..!

We got our 6125W gennie off Craigslist and have used the living HELL out of it. It runs everything except our clothes dryer.

Are you sure that was a dream?

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
>>>20KW<<<home standby LP generator:) I can run everything with it, my well washer, dryer, all my lights fans pumps>>everything<<>>Power went out a lot last winter<<At one point I lost power for 6 days because of the snow snapping trees limbs and falling on power lines etc<<< Luckily I was still in veg when this shit happened, I only had a 8000watt generator at the time. Constantly filling up 5 gal gas cans and having them ready for that thing was a pain in the ass>>I knew it was time after that to be ready for the next big one:)>>bring it, I say:giggle

>>i recommend the briggs and stratton 20kw home standby LP generator for those tired of fucking around with power outages:banana1sv6:

:passingjoint:

gtd

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Greenthumb,

how is the reliability of your generator?

I haven't had the power out since the last storm>>kinda eager for a power outage now:giggle
It does a weekly test cycle, so i know its workin>>>at the event of a power outage full power is restored in as little as 30 seconds>>its got a 993 big block:banana1sv6:operates producing 68dB>>8 safety shutdown features<<transfer switch is 200amps:)
I ordered it from northerntool.com

gtd:passingjoint:

the ones that costco carries, which i just happened to look up cause i know they have them, are air cooled. even for the ones rated at 200amps. i'd much prefer a water cooled version, plus i noticed those ran at a high rpm... like 3600

S

smokestack23

WOW!!
What's one of those worth?

Is it way expensive to use LP to make your power with a big gen like that? I mean compared to buying electricity?

I know you have them as backups..not to actually run your stuff but...I'm just wondering...like what would a KWhour cost using a big lp gen like that?
Interesting.

Anyway..yeah..even with my little puny...it sure feels good to have a backup. I too am kinda sitting here saying..BRING IT!!

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
My power went down for about three hours last night..luckily the girls were already in the dark but i tell you what, my fatass about died with no AC. I had no candles or flashlights and must have stubbed my toe on every object in my house.. what a horrible night.
Glad to hear you got things back up and running.

it isn't technically a true 200 amp, rather it is 140 amps but the breaker for it is rated at 100amps. price... $5700

S

smokestack23

Wow..I think my whole house has only a 100 amp service.
Doesn't go far.
I can either have lights or A/C and chillers. Not both.

Well..I COULD...if my lazy ass would wire-up some 240 and run my lights off that but..yeah.

100 amps? ouch! i have 2 100 amp sub-panels in my house, along with a 200 amp main. of course i am an electrician so it is easy to do

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Damn..! Even the solar array that we're having installed (installation guy from Beutler just arrived a little while ago to get started) is only 12kw, and the LP back-up gennie is 'only' 8kw.

We looked at the Costco units, they looked to be a great option. Hell of a lot better than gas or diesel, having to go back and forth to the gas station. And where we are there's just as much a chance that the gas station won't have power, either, and then you have to go downcountry trying to find a gas station with power to get fuel.

I am SO flippin' excited that we're getting this solar array! I almost squealed like a little girl.

Top Bottom