Power plug feels very warm

• Thread starter CheebaMonkey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CheebaMonkey

I've been running my 400W electronic ballast for 2 months with no problems. Today I unplugged it and noticed the plug(not the cord) was very warm. Not hot enough to burn my skin or cause discomfort, but it was very warm.

If I remember correctly the plug never got this warm before. What do you think? Should I get a new light?

R

Rolln J

2 month old ballast?

how long is the cord, are you using an extension? is your bulb old?

I always remember thinking my mag ballast cords were too hot, and they would scorch the housing of the timers, I would always throw the timers away after a grow or 2 because of it.

I have been using electronic ballasts for a couple years and the cords just dont get hot at all.

seems like the power cords that come with mag ballasts should be thicker and rated for 20 amps

D

DrugleyDoRite

They do get a bit warm but they shouldn't get real hot. Make sure the prongs are clean and try it in a different socket. It could be the socket may be a bit corroded and not making good contact.

I agree with Rollin J about the size of the wire. 14 ga should be the minimum size but 12 ga is better A good heavy duty plug is best as well.

C

calibob

My 400 watt digital plug gets hot with a MH conversion bulb but not with HPS. 400 watts is less than 4 amps and any computer type cord should handle it. My plug also ran cooler with a digital timer rather than mechanical contact type.

C

CheebaMonkey

interesting I changed out my MH for a HPS last night and noticed the same thing. No more heat. I'll keep an eye on it thanks guys.

iamgrowerman

iamgrowerman

If the plug is warm you definitely need to fix something. It could be any number of things, but first try to determine whether the source of the problem is on the plug side or the outlet side.

Whichever is hotter is the source. If the outlet is heating the plug you have a problem there. Track it down, get it fixed, and don't hope you have things resolved until you've done that. Electrical fires are a big, big danger.

Top Bottom