Power Question

• Thread starter Greengiant11
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Greengiant11

Another question. Should my main 200 amp lines coming in be a lil warm. There not burning hot to the touch. Just a lil warm

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Another question. Should my main 200 amp lines coming in be a lil warm. There not burning hot to the touch. Just a lil warm
No, it shouldn’t be “warm”, but with heavy load it will get towards 80-100dgF. A good flir camera is usually used to check lines if suspicious overload is being hunted for. But no the breakers nor the line should get hot. Warm say ambient temp is common. Without a thermal view it’s hard to gauge what’s hot and not. I’d be on the safe Side and turn off some lights that you can, like every other grow light. A day or so off wouldn’t hurt the veg cycle, as long as they get indirect light. Be safe bro. I suspect an issue with either ballasts or contactor or even an overload situation. As the more you draw the higher the cycles and thus heat. Also improper gauge of wire and higher loads are the factors in most fires. I do own a electrical company and I see that a lot. Just be safe brother. Get that electrician out ASAP

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
No, it shouldn’t be “warm”, but with heavy load it will get towards 80-100dgF. A good flir camera is usually used to check lines if suspicious overload is being hunted for. But no the breakers nor the line should get hot. Warm say ambient temp is common. Without a thermal view it’s hard to gauge what’s hot and not. I’d be on the safe Side and turn off some lights that you can, like every other grow light. A day or so off wouldn’t hurt the veg cycle, as long as they get indirect light. Be safe bro. I suspect an issue with either ballasts or contactor or even an overload situation. As the more you draw the higher the cycles and thus heat. Also improper gauge of wire and higher loads are the factors in most fires. I do own a electrical company and I see that a lot. Just be safe brother. Get that electrician out ASAP
Most wires will handle up to 180dgF safely. So not gonna say you need to panic, but I’d take steps to ensure safety of the family and self.

Some light reading :
https://www.schneider-electric.com/...5/en_US/Wire Terminations 0110DB9901R2-02.pdf

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Ya I just turned off a few lights. I checked with a thermometer and it read 105.
That’s good bud. Leave em off till you find out what’s causing the overload. Could be as simple as loose lugs or bad ballasts. And bad as undersized wires. Let’s hope it’s the simple stuff.

G

Greengiant11

Any news back mate?

No I just got home. I forgot I had to help cut down at a friends house today. So I’ve just been running minimal lights until I can get someone out hopefully tomorrow

G

Greengiant11

No I just got home. I forgot I had to help cut down at a friends house today. So I’ve just been running minimal lights until I can get someone out hopefully tomorrow

I did look at it today and it looks like one of the controllers breaker is running hotter then the other. So I think it might be a mix between a bad ballast and to many amps.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I did look at it today and it looks like one of the controllers breaker is running hotter then the other. So I think it might be a mix between a bad ballast and to many amps.
Could very well be but a proper diagnosis from and electrician would make you sleep in peace. Hope you get this done soon so that there isn’t any risks of overload.

Olyver

Olyver

Get a custom flip box and loadcenter built, a good electrician can do that or send me a PM, I'm an industrial Red Seal electrician, I can build anything you need, cheerz, have a ton of pics of controllers I've built.

Olyver

Olyver

Pull the main breaker and see if the bus has any arcing on it and check the bottom of the main breaker, also tighten the lugs where the power wires connect, heat causes expansion and made need to be tightened and add some antioxidant compound if required.

P

PharmHand

I’ve had friends use the flip boxes and they had nothing but problems with them
If it’s sized correctly and built to code there should be zero issues. Never used a prefab one only custom built ones. Some ballasts require a shutdown period but that’s only an issue if you’re using the same “remote” ballasts for both rooms. That too tho is an easy work around with a simple timer to allow for a short power down. But you’ve got enough ballasts tho so no worries. Get at olyver he’ll hook u up

Top Bottom