Pre grow and during grow pH adjustments

• Thread starter TryingToGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Hi

I have some organic soil I made and I made it to high ph (6.7+).

I already have a few plants in it (not doing well at all), and I wanted to bring the ph on the rest of it down to 5.9-6.0ph before starting any more plants.

how can I lower the ph on the ones in the pots already and what are any good ways to bring down the rest of the soil (outside in a pile, about 40 gallons).

also any tips on keeping ph in check are very welcome

thank you

Moshmen

Moshmen

Hi

I have some organic soil I made and I made it to high ph (6.7+).

I already have a few plants in it (not doing well at all), and I wanted to bring the ph on the rest of it down to 5.9-6.0ph before starting any more plants.

how can I lower the ph on the ones in the pots already and what are any good ways to bring down the rest of the soil (outside in a pile, about 40 gallons).

also any tips on keeping ph in check are very welcome

thank you
I’m gonna bump ur thread here - post up your soil mix, especially if ya did it yourself there are plenty of organic guys Here in the farm look around find a mentor

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
What's in your soil?

Pull the plants, remix your soil and replant.

That is what I ended up having to do. I ended up using a variety of things to lower the pH of my soil, some from that list. Pretty sure not all that I used are considered organic but I use tap water anyways and there are much worse things/non organic chemicals in that.

The most effective things that got the fastest results were organic vinegar, epsom salts, organic powdered gypsum, citric acid, vitamin c., organic low pH compost. Some of the slower things, organic elemental sulfur, organic wood chips/dead tree parts.

I think from now on, for plants that are already going, I will just use 5.7 pH waterings always and if needed, make holes in the medium (since I plan to bottom feed, top dressing won't always work I think), and insert one of the above listed for pH down or limestone for pH up.

Maybe best to stay organic would be make the hole in the soil and spray some diluted organic vinegar in there for pH down (I do have a pretty good idea of the ratio of vinegar needed to lower the pH in a gallon of my soil). And for up, the same thing with limestone (the limestone I have is peletized, so I can just brush that into a hole easily or can let it break down in water and water it in a hole as well).

I did get my soil down to ~5.8 pH though and it is staying there. Using the above and my plants are starting to grow really well.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

I’m gonna bump ur thread here - post up your soil mix, especially if ya did it yourself there are plenty of organic guys Here in the farm look around find a mentor

Thanks for the bump, I just ~put every organic thing I could find in there, so it's a bit.

I started with at least a few different organic e.b. stone premix bag soils (all had pH to high), random nursery brand organic top soil, organic coco coir, organic wood shavings, vermiculite, organic cow manure, organic chicken manure, organic worm castings, organic spirulina powder, organic dirt from my back yard (lots of worms since it's been raining), organic humic acid, organic vinegar, epsom salts, organic powdered gypsum, citric acid, vitamin c., organic low pH compost, organic dead tree parts, organic fresh squeezed apple juice, organic fresh squeezed pomegranate juice. For longer term 'feeding of the soil', I added organic dried cannabis leaves/stems and organic alfalfa pellets to the soil.

All the 'base ingredients' or premix bags that I got have pH way to high for cannabis, or anything else that I grow, lol. At least I am better at adjusting it now.

Top Bottom