Preparing First Grow: 3x3 Tent 1000w HPS

• Thread starter SloppySpackler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SloppySpackler

Howdy folks. I am planning my first grow. I have searched several forums a ton, and still have many questions about what is reasonable, and what are my best options for my first try growing and for the future. I will list all of my planned equipment and methods, let me know if anything sounds unreasonable, and what my best options would be instead.

Grow Space: 3x3 Tent With Propagation Chamber on Top: http://www.secretjardin.eu/index/catalogue/objet-33/lang-en
Light/Ballast/Hood: 1000W HPS Air Cooled Hood:
Cooling: Stanley Blower Mod:
Strain: Most Likely Nirvana Northern Lights + Big Bud: due to low odor recommendations:
Growing Medium: Undecided!

My conditions: I rent a townhouse; up and downstairs is mine. Upstairs master bedroom has large walk-in closet with washer/dryer utilities inside. So I have the dryer exhaust vent in that room which exhausts out the side of roof; 20 feet up. I plan to exhaust out the dryer vent.

My questions/concerns:

Heat: With the tent being 3x3 and very short in height as well, would 1000w still be possible?
I realize heat will be a big issue, so I would use cooled hood and the stanley blower.

Odor: Can anyone verify/vouch for the low odor properties of Northern Lights?
If odor becomes an issue, I will build a scrubber.

Veg Room Lighting: The small chamber on the top of the tent can be used for mother/clone. Will flouros work for mother/cloning?
I will also veg the plants as needed in the tent before flowering.

SCROG or SOG: Which is the most likely method for highest yield?
I have seen great results for both in small spaces, but wonder if the extra work for SCROG is justified.

Hydro or Soil: Is hydro recommended on my first try? Or should I stick to soil/perlite on my first run? Will hydro most likely increase yield?
I am considering these 2 configurations: DWC Bubbler, or perlite in juggs; check the links:
Soil SOG:
DWC SCROG: http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-grow-journals/379836-rumples-collage-harvests-bud-shots.html

Thanks

phenotyper

phenotyper

Heat: With the tent being 3x3 and very short in height as well, would 1000w still be possible?
I realize heat will be a big issue, so I would use cooled hood and the stanley blower.
I wouldn't recommend a 1000w light. That's ~111 w/ft^2, way more than your plants need. And you have to deal with heat, which will be overwhelming in a 3x3 space with height restrictions. I would get a 600w light for that space.

Odor: Can anyone verify/vouch for the low odor properties of Northern Lights?
If odor becomes an issue, I will build a scrubber.
I cannot, have one growing from seed but I haven't put it into flowering. But I use OnaGel which comes in a 1 gallon bucket. Does a fantastic job and should be more than enough for a 3x3 tent. Smells like laundry exhaust. ()

Veg Room Lighting: The small chamber on the top of the tent can be used for mother/clone. Will flouros work for mother/cloning?
I will also veg the plants as needed in the tent before flowering.
Yes and they will work really well. I have a 2x2 200w 8 bulb CFL setup and I use it to get plants large before they go into the 1000w tent. I use smaller CFLs for cloning and early stages.

SCROG or SOG: Which is the most likely method for highest yield?
I have seen great results for both in small spaces, but wonder if the extra work for SCROG is justified.
I don't know what phenotype of NL you have, but it really depends on how branchy they are. For SOG, If they branch a lot, you'll have to lollipop them (cut off all lower branches) and that can be a pain. Personally, I like the idea of a SCRoG in this space. You could fit 1 or 2, 5-8 gallon plants in there and make a very nice canopy. Otherwise, 4 trained, 3gallon plants would be a nice option as well for that space.

Hydro or Soil: Is hydro recommended on my first try? Or should I stick to soil/perlite on my first run? Will hydro most likely increase yield?
I am considering these 2 configurations: DWC Bubbler, or perlite in juggs; check the links:
I would say soil is far more forgiving than hydro in most cases, but I would also say there is no real general recommendation. It's all about how much time you want to dedicate to the task. If you want to do a hybrid, try looking up Hempy buckets, I've been using them with great results. Also, hydro won't increase yield until you've got everything dialed in for the strain you are growing. Pick what you are most interested in, gain some experience, and the yield will follow.

S

smokestack23

You're using one of those blowers you linked to? Overkill is always good but that's overmurder..as is the 1K light.
3X3 is very small for a 1K. You COULD probably control the heat from it (with cooltube and that great big fan you have) and I don't ever usually have to worry about TOO much light but...that IS too much light. Believe me..you CAN hurt your plants with too much light. You might be able to get away with it if you kept it far away from the plants but...a 600 would be much more efficient.

I also can't really comment on the NL. I've grown crosses of them and they were always stinky. Either way...you'll want to get a scrubber I'd say.
Everything phenotyper said is bang on.

If you have access to a bunch of rooted clones now...SOG will be the fastest. If you only have a couple, or you have to root and veg anyway...SCROG might yield you more??. Someone else would be better to comment on that though.

Just remember..when renting...expect the unexpected. Assume that there will be a leak or something..or that the landlord will let himself in one day when you're not home for WHATEVER reason.
Expect and prepare for him to call the cops and know what to say to them when they come..which is of course..I wanna call my lawyer.
Expect a letter that could come anytime saying that the landlord wants to do his regular inspection in 3 days...

Growing in a rental..especially an attached one presents a whole new batch of potential problems. If you expect and are prepared for the worst you'll know what to do when it happens. If it never DOES happen...no harm done.

Not trying to scare you...just be prepared.

J

joker0077

i have a 3x3 tent with a 1k light. also 2, 4 inch blowers 165cfm each. put ur light on at night to pull in cooler air. and a 12 inch osolating fan. no heat issues just space issues...lol

S

SloppySpackler

You're using one of those blowers you linked to? Overkill is always good but that's overmurder...

I din't know these fans were very strong, I thought they were just an inexpensive option. Cheap inline fans that I saw have SUPER low output. And I think that blower that I linked has 3 settings, one for low.

Just remember..when renting...expect the unexpected. Assume that there will be a leak or something..or that the landlord will let himself in one day when you're not home for WHATEVER reason... Not trying to scare you...just be prepared.

Thank you for this advice. I have considered many variables. I rent in a large complex, so no "landlord" per say. We have already had a leak from the same room, it was my washing machine. Since I have the upstairs AND downstairs, it just leaked onto ME haha. I came home and had to6 deal with it myself. SO in that case the management wouldn't even know.

The room is my walk in closet, and the washer/dryer are the only things in there. So it's not like the water heater or circuit box is in there and would require access from management/maintenance. So the room is ideal for these things.

Also, when I buy the setup, I am going to get everything I need to grow, store the seeds somewhere else, and basically do a "practice grow" to be sure things are safe. I will grow tomatoes for a few months. So if I were to get raided, I would know it was not safe, and no harm done. So I have thought about this alot.

i have a 3x3 tent with a 1k light. also 2, 4 inch blowers 165cfm each. put ur light on at night to pull in cooler air. and a 12 inch osolating fan. no heat issues just space issues...lol

Hmm interesting. Seems everyone else thinks I would run into trouble with 1000w.

Question: If I go with 600w, do you think I still need an air-cooled hood with this space?

P

papadop

Question: If I go with 600w, do you think I still need an air-cooled hood with this space?[/QUOTE]

Better to have it for sure. Wouldn't want to burn your girls

J

joker0077

a 600 can get closer to ur plants, but the outsides will not get as much light as 1000 higher up...more light = less shade. my hood is about 2x2 in the 3x3 tent

MitchyNugz

MitchyNugz

Id run a 600,i do one in a 5x3 space and have great results a 6 will give u plenty of light u need,i suggest a carbon filter no matter what especially if ur in a town house,ive grown nl that has stunk before so id be cautious,im in an apt and i have no smell issues with the carbon, if i didnt have it id be evicted fast,ill post a pic of the setup i use to give u an idea, bigger then 3x3 but gives u an idea,i have my inline fan attached to carbon scrubber blowing threw a cool tube i keep my temps perfect yr round,gets a lil hot in summer but i manage,but a grow tent is perfect for ur situation!

Yes flouros will work for moms and vegging,i use t5's and t8's for vegging with daylight bulbs and i use t12's for cloning dont know why just have way better results cloning with t12's,i suggest the plant and aquarium bulbs can get them at any home depot,rona,canadian tire.

now soil or hydro is your choice really,when i first started hydro was last thing i was thinking, get a bail of pro mix and add some perlite and worm poop and u have a good mix to start out,id say soil or soiless mix is way easier then hydro,but ppl will argue that,i guess its just getting everything set and dialed in thats tricky about hydro but then u sit back and relax and let it do the work,but ive never grown hydro so i cant really say for sure,well soil mixes are a lil more hands on,but allows u to work with each individual plant especially if your doing multiple strains that react different,and with soil remeber u have to bring it into your townhouse without being to obvious,and u also have to dispose of the soil when done(one thing i hate doing) crop,hydro saves u this mess,but i like getting dirty lol!

I like the sea of green method but depends on how many u wanna grow,if u only want a few plants then s.c.r.o.g,with a lil more veg time,but i like s.o.g,i like to be able to pull my plants out and move around i think with s.c.r.o.g once they grow throw screen u aint moving them.You have to clone alot more with s.o.g something u might not want to do? its all really personal preference once u do a few u should get a feel for what u like and be smoking dank nl in no time!

good luck!

00663.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom