preparing rockwool slabs HELP!

• Thread starter Kilo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kilo

I heard that you need to prepare rockwool slabs before using it. What is involved? and best way to do it? pretty please

tia

D

Donk Frog

I just soakem in ph balanced water with a little vitamin b for 3-4hours

then put seedling or cuts in em

HortiLab

HortiLab

IMO make sure to soak the slabs for aprox. 24h and aim for a final pH of 5.5. Dont squeeze them after soaking as this will destroy the airy structure.

F

FastForward

I'm guessing it's the same as for all rockwool - pre-soak in pH'd water because the rockwool has a high pH naturally (24 hours?). I hate rockwool AND hydroton! :) I've just seen that they're now making 3" and 4" coco cubes, so you don't have to go rockwool (check progrow).

D

Donk Frog

IMO make sure to soak the slabs for aprox. 24h and aim for a final pH of 5.5. Dont squeeze them after soaking as this will destroy the airy structure.

That's bullshit myth:mad0223:
I used to do that but I get 99% rooting success(with cuts) and all my seeds are always healthy, why waste time:time:fighting0040:

P

Pyro G.

^^^^Good point Donk, i soak my rockwool for a couple of hours in 5.5-5.8 ph'd water & i've been doing that for over 3 years w/ great success.

K

Kilo

ok im goner try ph balance water in the bath and then throw the slabs in to soak... whats best ph for the initial soak 5.0-5.2 ?? thanks all :)

HortiLab

HortiLab

Hey Donk Frog,

first of all I think you are confusing cubes and slabs. :fighting0040:

I used lots of rw slabs in the past and definitly opt for the longer soaking to get a more stable pH witin the slab during the whole growing period.

For smaller pieces of rw shorter soaks might work but I still prefer to soak all my rw for 24h.

To each his own!

:fixed:

K

Kilo

so horti ....what do u start of with in the water ?? 5.0 and then let it raise and then adjust gradually ?

thanks

HortiLab

HortiLab

what do u start of with in the water ?? 5.0 and then let it raise and then adjust gradually ?

Exactly...depending on your amount of rw and water you can even start a little bit lower then 5...should automatically settle in the 5.5 range after 24h.

K

Kilo

thank you :) ...i take it you are running slabs or have in the past...ive got some aqua trays and wanted to know how often u feed on 1mtr slabs with 4 ladies to a slab..i got open end stakes if that helps.. have you any shots? im a bit

thanks again

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

hey man I'll show you how its done.. must get the cam out.. its easy.. 24 hours 5.5 ph that just the rule ... sit your slabs in there trays ready to go.. fill the tank with PH 5.5 roots and A/B... EC 1.0.. now the fun back breaking bit.. get a pump with a garden hose and use it to fill up the slabs sitting in the trays .. tear a hole to fit in the hose and just pump the water- good idea to have a stopper connect to the hose- until it is full.. i test it by slapping the slab.. it should sound like your hitting a wet ass.. keep it sexy!!! hope you understand this its like 123.. good luck bro .. I'll take some pix remind me later

HortiLab

HortiLab

Yes, ran them in the past...these days would go for coco slabs.

You need to have an even pressure in your drip system and need to know the exact amount of flow rate running thru your drippers.
A 1l measuring cup in combination with a stop watch are recommended.
Then start with 150ml and raise up to 500ml(max depending on thirst of your plants) per plant per day spread out over aprox 5 watering cycles.

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

coco is better man I'm just starting to see that and you can reuse them 4 times

K

Kilo

hey man I'll show you how its done.. must get the cam out.. its easy.. 24 hours 5.5 ph that just the rule ... sit your slabs in there trays ready to go.. fill the tank with PH 5.5 roots and A/B... EC 1.0.. now the fun back breaking bit.. get a pump with a garden hose and use it to fill up the slabs sitting in the trays .. tear a hole to fit in the hose and just pump the water- good idea to have a stopper connect to the hose- until it is full.. i test it by slapping the slab.. it should sound like your hitting a wet ass.. keep it sexy!!! hope you understand this its like 123.. good luck bro .. I'll take some pix remind me later

hehe i got ya bro ...keeping it sexy lmfao ..

I got the slabs here and nutrients so may as use em.. thanks PIC would be great

nice one horti/dh :)

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
I heard that you need to prepare rockwool slabs before using it. What is involved? and best way to do it? pretty please

tia

I've been wanting to ask this same question for a bit now. My hydro store sold me some rockwool conditioner, pricey stuff, and when mixed by the directions it came out at 4.8ph. I ran out and hadn't picked up any but have cloned twice since then and see no difference in the clones. Just another one of those products they tell ya that you can't live without.

Sweet looking tent ya got BTW, it's gona :rock

jj

T

the Rock

i always put some superthrive in the water i am soaking the wool in/been doing it a couple years and have had superb results (at least 90% survival rate) and i never use clone gel/powder either

S

surfershine

I've been using Gordan rockwool slabs and cubes for a few years now. I've had much success by flushing the RW with a low 5.8 ph nutrient solution then immediatly planting with seed or clone. I also found if your using benifical bacteria, its better to make your 1 gal concentration then hand water so it absorbs into the RW better.

Top Bottom