Preping Hydroton for re-use.

• Thread starter VapeIt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

VapeIt

I am about to start another run. This will be the 3rd time to use my Hydroton. First run was pretty good, second use - not so good - sad actually.

What steps do I need to do to get it ready to re-use? I want to make sure that if I start having troubles this round, that it is not because of the Hydroton.

Thanks for any help.

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
I would start by rinsing away all root matter and debris.
To disinfect I like a strong solution of H2o2 (29% @ triple the recommended rate will kill the baddies) followed by a extra rinse for precaution.
As the Hydroton breaks down it becomes more problematic and harder to disinfect, a fresh bag may be the best route.
FJ

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Why not just go with some new? Its not THAT expensive. And if it gives you a better run then the last, it should pay for itself. GL -PDX

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I soak mine in a flushing agent (Clearex, Floraklean, etc) to dissolve the salt buildup, then rinse as much of the root debris away as possible. Then they get a peroxide bath (29% h2o2 @ triple strength). Be careful with strong peroxide. Serious skin irritant. Don't ask how i know. :)
One more final rinse, and they are ready. I make sure to use an enzyme to break down the remaining root debris- either on a pre-use soak, in the actual systems with plants, or both.
I also use Roots excelurator (H&G) in my hydro systems; it also helps prevent disease.

Hope this helps. Hydroton is a pain in the ass until you figure out a system for cleaning it. Even the new stuff needs to be cleaned before introduced into a system. But I like it way better than rockwool or some of the other mediums available. Personal preference, that's all.

Peace

V

VapeIt

Thanks for the info guys.
PDX,
I am not blaming my bad run on used Hydroton, just want to make sure I do everything to make sure it is not the/a problem. Also, I need 6 bags and it was a PIA to secretly get that much into my spot and clean it the first time. I also have no place to get rid of 6 bags of old rocks.

Thanks again.

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Ahhh, Makes a lil more sense. I have the same problem figuring out different ways to secretly get bags of soil in my apt. Sucks. If my neighbors noticed, they musta wondered why I needed a few boxes of diapers, a few days in a row. Now my new prob is what to do with all the used soil.
Vapelt, I hope you get the answer/s you're looking for. GL bro. -PDX

S

smokestack23

How much hydroton are you using? You can fill a lot of 6" netpots with a large bag.
if you're doing hundreds, how are you sneaking the nets and totes or buckets and everything in?..assuming you're doing UC or RDWC?

I'm growing trees in hydroton filled netpots. I was using the 6inchers and had to use some 10" units this time. Seems like a waste. My roots are all in the tote anyway and the plants are supported by tieing and caging and shit.

So yeah...I'd say..use smaller netpots or less hydroton and just buy new stuff.
Now if you have 3 or 5 gallon pails filled with the stuff in an ebb-flow table that's a different story.

If you have to re-use it why not put it in a big plastic garbage can, fill it with water, add some bleach, H2O2, Physan20...then get one of those paint mixing paddles, attach it to a variable speed drill and slowly stir the shit up.
Not too fast or you'll smash it up but fast enough so you get good movement so the "tumbling action" cleans the balls.

Maybe then rinse it in 5gal pails or another garbage can with holes in it?..hyrdoton is pretty good at plugging the holes though.

Good luck.

V

VapeIt

Smokestack,
48 Ebb & Gro bucket system from GreenTrees.

It is very difficult to keep my activities on the DL. Completely bad idea to set up where I did, but I did and I got to make the best of it.
Once supplies are in the spot, I have to stay as self contained as possible.

As little garbage/waste as possible. Can't step out the door without 2 or 3 pairs of eyes staring me down. You should see my process for bringing Co2 bottles in and out. Boxes for everything.

I veg in 5" nets to @18", then move to Buckets full of Hydroton.

Thanks everyone.

J

jointsallday

I been wanting to try one of those cheap, plastic bodied, cement mixers that spin by electric motor ...
...& lots of bleach...

even now,.. while its the biggest PITA it still is only a few hours work every 9 weeks right?

The Joker

The Joker

I used to use a 5 gallon bucket with many 1/8 holes drilled in the bottom. I would fill it half way and then take a hose and rinse off the rocks. Most of the roots would come out the bottom. Wear heavy rubber gloves as stirring the mix will wear the skin off your fingers. When I refilled my system, I would run a 2% bleach solution through everything for a day, rinse and many more fine bits would come off. Then I would run vinegar through the system to neutralize the bleach.

Such a pain in the ass, that's why I grow in soil now. Better yields, but more babysitting.

Good luck.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

. Then I would run vinegar through the system to neutralize the bleach.

Good luck.

Very important step if you use bleach. I stay away from bleach, as it can get inside the pellets and never rinse out properly. I only use bleach on my plastic equipment, as it's easier to rinse.

J

Jalisco Kid

When I ran hydroton I would have two sets of buckets and hydroton. I would soak my buckets in carefree's pond protector and I would spray the hydroton with 35% peroxide. Now I give my chow mix to my local nurseryman who mixes it in with his topsoil. JK

Top Bottom