Presto Chango Rosin/glycerin/cannabutton/hash Press

• Thread starter Graywolf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Graywolf

Graywolf

I just picked up a 12 ton H press from Harbor Freight and will be assembling it today and working out the mountings for the heated Rosin pressing platens I've designed for it. I will also be developing adapters to allow pressing glycerin, cannabuttons, and hash, like the previous press we built.

Here are the prints for the platen machining and the control P&ID. I'll update as the project progresses:

Rosin plate machining detail
Rosin plate pid
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I'd the shitty HF hardware is as janky for the 12t as they give you for the 20t press, upgrade to grade 10 hardware asap. My buddy sheered the top bolts clean off his 20t HF press.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I'd the shitty HF hardware is as janky for the 12t as they give you for the 20t press, upgrade to grade 10 hardware asap. My buddy sheered the top bolts clean off his 20t HF press.

Yeah, minimalist might be a good description. The shear on 3/8" steel Grade 5 bolts is 75KSI, so four 3/8" bolts would have a shear of about 33,134 pounds or about 16.6 tons. Grade 8 bolts have a shear of 91KSI.

I had to take two runs at it because they have them made by more than one manufacturer, and they gave me mixed parts boxes from two different ones, which was both short parts and had different bolt patterns.

Got it together now and thinking I might just make a new cross beam to hold the dies, rather than adapting to the center post or cutting it off. If I eliminate the post, I also have to redrill the uprights to allow the table to be moved closer to the beam, but it is the clean way to do it.

I do like the design from the stand point that the hydraulic ram is isolated from the heat.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

My buddy has his top rail welded after he sheered the oem bolts. Reason why I just went grade 10 for safety. Great 27.00 investment.

jaybodankly

jaybodankly

Could you do some kind of continuous feed process with two large heated steel wheels rolling and pressing against each other. Like a extra-large "English Wheel" used in sheet-metal work. Would need a feed hopper and rosin collection method. Kinda thinking the size and width of two truck tires. Have them slightly dished so the outside edges can make solid contact and keep the rosin flowing in the center and captured with a wiperblade lower on the wheel. Maybe one wheel has some toothing to pull material thru the gap. The other wheel can be heated and have a low speed/high torque motor.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Could you do some kind of continuous feed process with two large heated steel wheels rolling and pressing against each other. Like a extra-large "English Wheel" used in sheet-metal work. Would need a feed hopper and rosin collection method. Kinda thinking the size and width of two truck tires. Have them slightly dished so the outside edges can make solid contact and keep the rosin flowing in the center and captured with a wiperblade lower on the wheel. Maybe one wheel has some toothing to pull material thru the gap. The other wheel can be heated and have a low speed/high torque motor.
Maybe for raw buds, with the devil in the collection details. Wiping hot resin off a hot wheel, so as to keep it clean, could be a challenge.

When pressing kif, the material is typically bagged and lightly pressed and heated before slowly increasing pressure so as to not blow out the bag before the rosin is molten enough to flow.

Maybe a series of rollers might work?

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I wouldn't think so. Imo, your wanting a flat surface like the current plate, vs a round wheel, that will more or less "roll" your product vs just squishing it on a flat surface. Even if you adjust the wheel pressure/height, it's the "rolling" vs a straight down squish the this your enemy.

I've done much metal.work.in my.day with English wheels.

King Julien

King Julien

If all plant matter were exactly the same thickness and density and all had the same moisture content and was all broken up to the same size it would work perfectly. Sadly it's not. So something like that, while I'm sure possible, would either mangle or miss out on a lot of product I would think.

Top Bottom