Pretty sure it's a cal-mag def. Help me make sure?

• Thread starter bowlpacks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bowlpacks

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?Clones
2. How old are your plants?4 weeks from clone
3. How tall are your plants?3-4 feet
4. What type of hydro system are you using?Ebb and flow, Coco
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using?House and Garden full line plus Great White bennies
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution?5.8 allowed to drift to 6.3
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water?RO was being used, currently using tap at 120ppm
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution?800ish
9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution?68-70ish
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check?Not significantly but falls
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check?Rises
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?Green stay, nitrozyme
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")HPS 7k
14. How close are your lights to the plants?Hoods are air-cooled, usually around 30" currently 38ish
15. What size is your grow space in square feet? flowering area 20x7, room dimensions are 20x50 with two tents for veg and mother plants
16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?70-78F RH around 40%
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?Not anymore, springtails and gnats. Taken care of with Go Gnats
18. How much experience do you have growing?7 years
These photos are of the more mature leaves. Strains are Bubba Kush and Maui. New growth curls downward almost looking over/under watered, but leaves are curled regardless (immediately after flood and 12 hours after flood). Flooding twice a day. Maui DOES NOT curl, just shows def in leaf color.
Im pretty sure its a cal-mag def but wanted to check with you guys.
P.S. Roots are bright white and firm. :thinking:
photo3.jpg
photo-2.jpg
photo-1.jpg

B

bowlpacks

Yeah. I added cal mag to the res a few hours ago and am waiting to stabilize ph and water temp, since the tap is cooooold. You agree its cal-mag though SkyHi? K+

S

supasticky

It looks like a potassium def. Magnesium does also discolor the tips though...

-Supa

beezleb878

beezleb878

I am not overly experienced but I would not let your PH drift passed 5.8 much if you can help it. I did this dance for a few crops until I became a 5.8 fanatic. I will live with 5.75 - 5.8. The plants need 5.8 to suck up the calcium otherwise adding lots and lots calmag will not help. I would typically run into this issue in flower.

If you have not seen this chart perhaps it will help.

Good luck and happy growing.

B

bowlpacks

So how would I get this deficiency in a hydroponic application when using a complete feeding program? I saw it said "high salinity" so i should just drop the ppm? This is only my 2'nd run with coco, I've never seen this before.
Thanks for the input guys. :help:

K

KushMaster707

btw with that type of leaf curl i would first flush your gals really well, i had the same type of curl in my plants from not initially flushing my coco. and when i did flush a week later it didnt have to high of ppm runoff so my best guess was ph lockout.

M

mysophilia

Its Mg defencicy which will lock out your p ( red in stems )... The leaves are also curling up showing signs of more mg defencicys.. More down the road you will lose all color in leaves and will only have green veins left... See how your loosing the color in the leaves but still have green veins.... Use Epsom salt for a fast fix via some folliar feeding ... Or just add it with your watering next go around

B

bowlpacks

I've added cal-mag and backed off the nutes a bit. I'll foliar feed tonight too. I was talking to a buddy asking him about my problem. When I told him a ran a day with no nutes he looked at me like I ran over his dog. Hahaha. Im pretty sure thats what did it, now I just gotta fix it. I'll be running cal-mag at 200 ppm along with diluted nutes, cal-mag, and a foliar with kelp. Thanks for them help guys, It really helps to have a few people to concur with. Then I stop second guessing myself.

B

bowlpacks

Alright. Goddamnit. The leaves continue to curl. Certain times of the day they look healthy, most of the time they look like this. Time between floods doesn't seem to matter. Still running cal-mag and lighter nutes. Foliar feeding nitrozyme. Just transplanted some plants in rockwool cubes into the system and they are now starting to curl too. Whatthefuck. Can anyone help me out.
DSC09185.JPG
DSC09184.JPG
DSC091831.JPG

N

newbiewitskillz

How often do you feed? Don't know much of what's going on but it looks like overfeeding could also be underfeeding depends on your feed schedule. Leaves look kinda light colored so I don't think that your nutes are too strong. I would flush with ro to remove excess salts in your medium and come back with your base nute and cal mag.

B

bowlpacks

The nutes were at 1000ppm now its at 550. Im hoping the Lighter nutes even things out and restore the balance or whatever. I'll probably ramp up the nutes after this res goes dry. I will say that they started drinking alot more after the cal mag was added.

I never did check the run off but it wasn't a problem last time. If I do Coco again, I heard Canna is pretty clean. This is B'cuzz.
This is what I was talking about earlier. These photos were taken 10 hours after the first ones. The look almost better. Then I'll walk in 12 hours later and they're fucked up again.
58.jpg
415.jpg
323.jpg
235.jpg
126.jpg

Any Ideas? Im hoping the light nutes do the trick. What do you guys think, about a week to tell for sure?:sign0065:

I

InvisibleM

Alright. Goddamnit. The leaves continue to curl. Certain times of the day they look healthy, most of the time they look like this. Time between floods doesn't seem to matter. Still running cal-mag and lighter nutes. Foliar feeding nitrozyme. Just transplanted some plants in rockwool cubes into the system and they are now starting to curl too. Whatthefuck. Can anyone help me out.

The plants in the rockwool were healthy until you put them into the system? That should tell you a lot. Can you tell me if you have anything at all in the reservoir that could be toxic? Liners?

Also I never try to figure out a nutrient deficiency, if you are using a balanced fertilizer you won't have any....

Stop Foliar feeding nitrozyme, old timers don't put anything on their leaves unless absolutely necessary.

I

InvisibleM

The plants in the rockwool were healthy until you put them into the system? That should tell you a lot. Can you tell me if you have anything at all in the reservoir that could be toxic? Liners?

Also I never try to figure out a nutrient deficiency, if you are using a balanced fertilizer you won't have any....

Stop Foliar feeding nitrozyme, old timers don't put anything on their leaves unless absolutely necessary.

How many hours of light a day? The burnt tips are usually a root problem.

Good luck bowlpacks

S

supasticky

How often do you feed? Don't know much of what's going on but it looks like overfeeding could also be underfeeding depends on your feed schedule. Leaves look kinda light colored so I don't think that your nutes are too strong. I would flush with ro to remove excess salts in your medium and come back with your base nute and cal mag.

I agree with the over/under feeding. It could be either, but it looks like overwatering.

-Supa

S

socalsinner

Check everything to be safe. Verify your PH meter is accurate.. calibrate it again and change the batteries. Check the Leafs for bugs( look real close for very small white dots, check the roots for bugs. How is your co2 or fresh air intake and if its fresh air is it clean. Check watering amount.. dont overwater. How hot is the hottest it is getting in there? Did you spray your plants with anything before this happened? Let us know what you find.

B

bowlpacks

Check everything to be safe. Verify your PH meter is accurate.. calibrate it again and change the batteries. Check the Leafs for bugs( look real close for very small white dots, check the roots for bugs. How is your co2 or fresh air intake and if its fresh air is it clean. Check watering amount.. dont overwater. How hot is the hottest it is getting in there? Did you spray your plants with anything before this happened? Let us know what you find.

Checking temps, looking for mites, taking care of root bugs (springtails, aphids, gnats), calibrating ph and tds pens etc was where I started. Everything is fine. It looks like over watering to me too but they look the best shortly after watering. I've stopped watering for 24 hrs. They dry out and the pots are super light but no change. Checked the roots and they're healthy and white, no smell and new vigorous root growth coming out of the pots. Just went down to check em and they're wilting again. Too late to scrap em.
When it comes to foliar feeding, I always feed either kelp or Bills Perfect. I was hoping it if was lockout it would help correct it. Sonofabitch

B

bowlpacks

Do you think that letting em dry out to the point of wilting will hep or hinder?

Latest posts

Top Bottom