Prevent siphon - pipe setup diagram

• Thread starter Feggy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Feggy

Hello everyone, I am just putting together a small automated room. I am worried about siphoning due to the height of the tank. Can almond with experience tell me if this would work
I apologize it’s not to scale, I have not included all the shutoffs and unions.
Thanks
Prevent siphon   pipe setup diagram

CertifiedRefugee

CertifiedRefugee

I think if you had the HYDROTRONIC installed on the leader pump it would prevent the siphoning from even happening it also has a built-in non return valve.

Last edited:
F

Feggy

I think if you had the HYDROTRONIC installed on the leader pump it would prevent the siphoning from even happening it also has a built-in non return valve.
I was seriously thinking about getting it. Do you own it? I wanted to know if you could bypass the feature where the pump starts when is senses incoming water.
I am going to be running these off timers instead

CertifiedRefugee

CertifiedRefugee

I was seriously thinking about getting it. Do you own it? I wanted to know if you could bypass the feature where the pump starts when is senses incoming water.
I am going to be running these off timers instead
I'm put my parts together also but your layout has some similarities to mine are you also trying to use the pump to mix your nutrients and if so why two 55gal barrels? also the bucket company layout looks sweet🤓

CertifiedRefugee

CertifiedRefugee

☝️this will be the timer and irrigation controller for the 3 nylon valves i think you would need

CertifiedRefugee

CertifiedRefugee

if you install the HYDROTRONIC on the leader pump you don't need timers the controller i showed you up top do all that you program it how long you like the valves to be open or close if that be seconds,minutes,hours...the hydrotronic has sensors built into it so it picks up the change in pressure in the line it automatically cuts the pump on and off according to the valves open and closing...

F

Feggy

I'm put my parts together also but your layout has some similarities to mine are you also trying to use the pump to mix your nutrients and if so why two 55gal barrels? also the bucket company layout looks sweet🤓
Yes it’s to mix the nutes.
I just realized that the shutoff on the vertical pipe should be up higher, that way I can close it for just recirculating the tanks. The valves on top of the tanks will hopefully let me adjust the pressure of system and help with siphoning

I’m not sure what I’m going to use 2nd tank for, maybe ro water or nutes, I can close it off to the system if needed.

I got the tanks for a great deal
In Toronto so I bought 4 just in case.

F

Feggy

if you install the HYDROTRONIC on the leader pump you don't need timers the controller i showed you up top do all that you program it how long you like the valves to be open or close if that be seconds,minutes,hours...the hydrotronic has sensors built into it so it picks up the change in pressure in the line it automatically cuts the pump on and off according to the valves open and closing...
Thanks this is what I’m eventually going to get to. That would be the ideal setup for me

CertifiedRefugee

CertifiedRefugee

Yes it’s to mix the nutes.
I just realized that the shutoff on the vertical pipe should be up higher, that way I can close it for just recirculating the tanks. The valves on top of the tanks will hopefully let me adjust the pressure of system and help with siphoning

I’m not sure what I’m going to use 2nd tank for, maybe ro water or nutes, I can close it off to the system if needed.

I got the tanks for a great deal
In Toronto so I bought 4 just in
Thanks this is what I’m eventually going to get to. That would be the ideal setup for me
yes the cutoff should be higher but if your going to be there to manually to open and close the vales why you need a timer?

F

Feggy

I won’t always be there, the valves will always be partially open to help dial in pressure and recirculate the tank. Also to aid in taking apart system if I have to make any changes- as they are quick connect as well.

I think I’m going to try it like it is assembled for now. The only thing I have to do is raise valve on the vertical
section so it’s above the horizontal branch, that way I can close the system off and just recirculate when mixing the nutrients or if for some reason I want to attach a hose and water by hand.

I also have to decide if I should raise the 35psi pressure reducer up higher above the horizontal branch or leave it where it is.
My thoughts on where I put it is that it will reduce the pressure quite a bit and then I can adjust the rest with the valves above the tanks. Once I have it set up I don’t plan on adjusting them

I have a Niwa grow hub I’m going to try out running the pumps on timers and an acinfinity fan/wifi controller for temp etc.

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone’s input. I am a new member and I really appreciate it. I have no experience in this sort of design process, I’m just asking a bunch of questions

All the best

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom