Preventing bugs outdoors

• Thread starter Unclespider
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Unclespider

Unclespider

Any help with natural ways to keep bugs away I’m not having problems now but the hot humid temps are on their way and usually bring bugs

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Any help with natural ways to keep bugs away I’m not having problems now but the hot humid temps are on their way and usually bring bugs
Go on the offense. Take it to them before they get a hold of your plant. Spinosad, rotated with neem oil, and healthy fertile soil. Diatomaceous earth helps but rain is a PIA and have to reapply. That's all I can think of naturally. Stop the neem in flower. Others like sulfur. I hate getting it on me. Stinks lol

Unclespider

Unclespider

Thank you I’m definitely just trying to get ahead. My soil is excellent. I kinda wanna avoid sulfur for the same reason.

R

redshift75

so for soil things i run mykos, that helps keep my soil healthy among other techniques. Like my sprouts this year got exposed to WPM in pete pots and the soil was spotting. That kind of was consumed by a more powerful Fun-Guy. Then to what borgart said I pretty much just run neem oil. I use the dynagro neem oil as a leaf polish as well. If i need to kick it up spinosad like he said which my goto brand is captain jacks just cause its on shelves locally.

For my neem oil mix to get it to be in the water
I mix neem oil, dyna gro protekt, Aloe Vera shake well in a mason jar. it stays good all season. Just take a butter knife scoop it in my sprayer and put in some hot water from the tap shake and wait til its room temp to apply. works like a champ.

I do run certain things outdoors as preventative, bee traps, I have various plants like milk thistle and the lot to keep the moths from trying to cocoon in them. Fly strips, And i put the pests stakes around my grow areas that help with the random underground beetle infestations. But i also go directly into my soil vs pots. so is some things i do just to mitigate natural occurrence same as you would in any situation in life. Im also not opposed to go the pyrethrin route if need be.

I buy my pyrethrin from a certified organic supplier yada yada. But honestly short of flower stage once over with pyrethrin for a season for the grow area. + exterior/surrounding. Keeps pretty much everything away. if i was dealing with a year with above normal circumstances to infestation. Which some years just in general can be worse than others.

its not so much about what you use.... But how you use it (***properly) and when you use it (more often then not preventative). Im no expert, but its my belief that the majority of problems we face we can deal with preventative measures. Which is far easier then having to treat them. I like to pray for the best and Prepare for the worst. But outdoor its not that hard to keep it managed. The weather, the bugs and most of all your plants tell you everything you need to tackle any issue.

B

Burned Haze

Biocontrol !

The key is to prevent and never have a high population, so spray/drench the biocontrol/biofungicide on a schedule way before you have the issue and assume pests will always be outside

so if something is just , and if not cheaper and can even repel the bugs ( the biocontrols repel 100+ soft bodied and never hurt bees)

‘if it was me (product wise, than spray based on your prevention preference like spider mites are 3 days (if no mites attacking yet just do 7-15 days)
Grandevo:

than rotate with back and forth every foliar spray, the reason for applying two is the two products are attracting two different smell fungi and working biocontrol to kill em ( and never having resistance issue
Venerate

than to for your mold and bud rot and give the plant a natural boost of immunity for 15 days apply this every 10-15 days to guratee it has it in the plant ( mix with ethier the Grandevo or venerate and your set)

Regalia (biofungicide )

R

redshift75

Biocontrol !

The key is to prevent and never have a high population, so spray/drench the biocontrol/biofungicide on a schedule way before you have the issue and assume pests will always be outside

so if something is just , and if not cheaper and can even repel the bugs ( the biocontrols repel 100+ soft bodied and never hurt bees)

‘if it was me (product wise, than spray based on your prevention preference like spider mites are 3 days (if no mites attacking yet just do 7-15 days)
Grandevo:

than rotate with back and forth every foliar spray, the reason for applying two is the two products are attracting two different smell fungi and working biocontrol to kill em ( and never having resistance issue
Venerate

than to for your mold and bud rot and give the plant a natural boost of immunity for 15 days apply this every 10-15 days to guratee it has it in the plant ( mix with ethier the Grandevo or venerate and your set)

Regalia (biofungicide )

thats a nice list. How does that compare to pyrethrin? now im interested in these. As ive seen the venerate before in shelves at my supply store. but never looked into it or the others.

edit: just saw the prices and had sticker shock. bout 10x my treatment cost.

B

Burned Haze

thats a nice list. How does that compare to pyrethrin? now im interested in these. As ive seen the venerate before in shelves at my supply store. but never looked into it or the others.

edit: just saw the prices and had sticker shock. bout 10x my treatment cost.

That’s not true I can do my whole veggie garden and cannabis and never worry of my penny. It’s saved mygrow and vs per gal ratio of even pesticide you mentioned it’s cheaper and that’s the synthetic crap version and unregulated .

the Grandevo and venerate are cheap (stuff is concentrated and long 3+ year shelf life vs 1 year life competition brands ) compared to Pyrethrum based ( brand like pyganic 5.0, and that product for a pint for $150 bucks) the con (for pyrethrum ) all ingredients with it is just like spinosad it’s limited on cycle spraying , your not allowed to spray it beyond 3-4 week of flower ( you can spray up to harvest on all of bio control. That’s the pro) another con towards prythrum is they have shown many pest do gain resistant towards it, you can’t from biocontrol. It’s all about IPM, I’m not saying you can’t use other products but if you use biocontrol as your main products and the main only product for flower based for safety , it will work and keep everything clean.

R

redshift75

That’s not true I can do my whole veggie garden and cannabis and never worry of my penny. It’s saved mygrow and vs per gal ratio of even pesticide you mentioned it’s cheaper and that’s the synthetic crap version and unregulated .

the Grandevo and venerate are cheap (stuff is concentrated and long 3+ year shelf life vs 1 year life competition brands ) compared to Pyrethrum based ( brand like pyganic 5.0, and that product for a pint for $150 bucks) the con (for pyrethrum ) all ingredients with it is just like spinosad it’s limited on cycle spraying , your not allowed to spray it beyond 3-4 week of flower ( you can spray up to harvest on all of bio control. That’s the pro) another con towards prythrum is they have shown many pest do gain resistant towards it, you can’t from biocontrol. It’s all about IPM, I’m not saying you can’t use other products but if you use biocontrol as your main products and the main only product for flower based for safety , it will work and keep everything clean.

do you need all of it? like if i just went with Grandevo or venerate to switch away from Pyrethrum, etc? seems like they are both listed as near same product from the manufacturer? or am i missing what one is better for the other over?

i feel like maybe the small bottle of regalia and venerate is doable to try them out this year. but if i have to go all 3 to be worth it i cant do the 6lb bag of grandevo for $200+

quirk

quirk

Years ago my nurseryman turned me on to Liquid Seaweed and molasses as a preventative foliar spray, once a week throughout grow on my tomatoes and vegetables to toughen leaves for insect resistance and increase brix. It works great on cannabis as well. I use Medina brand because it's local. Good for an 8hr. pre-germ soak as well.

IMG 20200315 001224629
Madbud

Madbud

BTK, nothing worse than losing big buds to caterpillars. I use it into flower before and after rain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom