"Prime" by seachem, removes chlorine from water

• Thread starter boxmunch9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

boxmunch9

is anyone using this product in there water to purifiy it? does it harm plants, one cap ful treats 50gals of water.

F

FastForward

I think this is the chloramine stuff that was chatted about in another thread....maybe even the same stuff in Canna Flush.....

B

bicycle racer

i worked in the aquarium industry for many years prime is one of my favorite dechlorinating products on the market. i have not used it for watering plants but its harmless to fish invertebrates beneficial bacteria aquatic plants and algaes. that said i cant imagine it would have a negative effect on terrestrial plants.

M

Mr.PurplePumpkn

Yeah I posted about this is another thread, everything the bicycleman said is true

Its a basic dechlorinating chemical and has no adverse affects on aquatic plants, inverts, or verts... all my java ferns, java moss, algae shrimp, ghost shrimp, mystery snails, and goldfish tolerate it great. I have a 25 gallon tank and if i miss a weekly water change i just drop in a whole capful (treats 50 gallons) and it does the job with no stress to any of them. The chemical works by redoxing chlorine, ammonia, and nitrate (whats in fish poo) to nitrite (main form of N absorbed by plants and adsorbed by nitrosomonas bacteria ). If anyone in here ever plays with aquaponics this stuff will be your best friend

I will admit I do not use it in my hydro set up b/c my "pure" water filter seems to work perfect, drops my 300ppm tap water to about 60... never seen any of the goldfishes tails get red veins (indicates stress) because of it...

If you dont wanna deal with all them chems and applications, hit the homedepot up and score one, like 40 bones..... that way you and your girls will be drinking healthy water

You'd be amazed whats in what city water these days, pharmaceuticals, diaper fibers, cyrptosporidium, I even heard a trailer park in a town near Jacksonville Fla. where getting drinking water from a well directly pulling from the aquifer unfilterd, which the EPA was studying, and where getting "high". When the EPA ran the chemical tests, they found synthetic derivities of heroine, a semi synthetic itself. They called it Happy water

:icon_dizzy:

B

boxmunch9

your post got me thinking about "prime" so i went out and bought some, i would rather drop a cap full of that in my water in the morning, run 2 massive airpumps all day then water at night, instead of using a hydrologic,. maybe ill water one plant with it. i dont know why i stare at the $200 tall boy filter sitting in the unopened in the box day after day.

M

Mr.PurplePumpkn

I hear you Box, im a freak show about filters when it comes to my aquarium but believe me, its all about the Carbon and Biological Filtration, that puppy your looking at is no different than the small ones they sell for 20, just a lot more moving parts to f* up...

Activated Carbon is what does the job, i visited countless aquaculture farms and many have homemade filters, tote boxes filled with bags of activated carbon and pea stones, that work just as well as there 2000 dollar nitrification filters...

Its the carbon which catches and bonds to the super small stuff while the foam catches the larger stuff... then the microbes do your chemistry homework, thats it

Prime works great though, hope you get ur stuff dialed in

:scared0016:

G

GDS StonerBoy

Yeah in that other thread i already stated that it doesnt harm plants because i have been using it for over a year! I no longer need it now because i recently picked up an R/O Filter from Lowe's but i still use a little tap water from time to time.

Check my gallery all of the plants in it were watered with this product or something similar.

B

boxmunch9

stoner boy thats exactly what i want to hear. that it wont hurt plants, i have a tall boy i just would rather take it back if this shit does the same thing, because san frans water is like 60ppm without filtering, so i figured i could get rid of the chlorine to stop killing my beneficials

T

tophmaster

oh hell yeah box munch is in the bay too thats pimp. but yeah thats really cool u can just use that istead gotta try this

Top Bottom