Pro Grow LED

• Thread starter Do Be
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Pro grow 400 or 2 180's?

• Total voters
Do Be

Do Be

How's everyone doing at the farm today? I've been a longtime lurker but this will be one of my first posts on this forum, I spent my early years on OG and have expanded my resource base to a few other forums out there since.

I've been growing for about 7-8 years at this point, for years just whatever bagseed I could get but now I'm rocking some Divine Genetics as well as some Alien gear, couldn't be happier.

Today I pose a simple (haha, nothings simple with growing, right?) question about the Pro Grow series of LEDs from Hydroponics Hut http://www.hydroponicshut.com/pro-grow-led-grow-lights.html.

I'm looking at getting one or possibly two of their lamps but can't decide on what route to go, maybe some farm insight might help.

I run a 2x2 SJ tent, normally with a 400 watt switchable and I have a veg/clone tent running a 4 tube PL-L from HTG. Temps are just unmanageable in the tent with the 400 but those harvest #'s are undeniable. I'm very interested in the Pro Grow 400 with an advertised actual draw of 240 watts at $579. However, I could also purchase 2 of the Pro Grow 180's with an advertised draw of 160watts (this has been seen as 150 watts on a kill-a-watt meter) at $289 a piece with their "bulk" purchase deal adding up to $578 for 300-320 actual draw wattage.

Now, does anyone have any experience with one or both of these lamps and if you do, or even if not, can you offer any help in what should sway my decision?

Thanks in advance for the insight on this topic as well as all the knowledge I've siphoned off the farm in the past.

reeldrag

reeldrag

i have heard good things from people that use them there will always be some haters out there thou that will just hate till the end of time. I ran led's for awhile but it was some of the first generation ones and can say I was very unhappy. With that being said i find my self looking very closely at the new ones I have seen one room in person that was running some very high end ones and those plants looked F-ing awesome. room specs were 8000 watt equifilent for the cost of 2000 watt halides but the cost was lower then that becuz no A C was needed and no inline fans ect so all told total power cost was alllot cheaper and according to the guy his plants were gonna yield more but you pay dearly up front for good LED

T

tenthirty

I have been using a 180 and a 260 for a little less than a year. They work well.

J

john carlisle

I have just finished curing my second crop with pro grow 400. I used 2 400's in a 4x8 room with 16 big buds and 16 jack herers. absolutely no problems. 2 months vegging and 75 to 80 days flowering. Great production with 3.5 ounces of dried cured product per square ft average

tags420

tags420

I have just finished curing my second crop with pro grow 400. I used 2 400's in a 4x8 room with 16 big buds and 16 jack herers. absolutely no problems. 2 months vegging and 75 to 80 days flowering. Great production with 3.5 ounces of dried cured product per square ft average
So you pulled 7lbs out of a 4x8?? with 800w??

ttystikk

ttystikk

I don't have experience with these LED lights specifically, but I'm always of the opinion that spreading the wattage over more sources is generally better, just for light distribution and efficiency reasons alone.

Kebz

Kebz

I don't have experience with these LED lights specifically, but I'm always of the opinion that spreading the wattage over more sources is generally better, just for light distribution and efficiency reasons alone.

As above I have no experience with these specifically but do run a multi panel LED grow and agree with ttystikk.

For the less money, it seems like a no brainer to go with the 2 x 180's. This would give you more power (another 60-80 watts of LED lighting) and you'll achieve cooler temps than the 400w HPS.

Lit Reflex

Lit Reflex

You guys need to keep in mind that if you're going to use two 180's and you intend to use the most efficient spectrum for vegetative growth or bloom you will only be utilizing half of the wattage available in full spectrum mode.

Here is a breakdown of the units up to a cost of $700-some. You may be like myself and cannot quite do the $700-some for two 260's so the X5-300 will have to do. Remember that the X5-300 has some features that these other models simply do not have, including one that enhances the growing ability of the lights through their lenses.

Also keep in mind that these units consume 1/3 the electricity of an HID lamp.

2x Grow Pro 180s (total of $618) @ 165 watts each IN FULL SPECTRUM (sometimes listed as "full illumination") MODE = 330 watts in Veg and Bloom spectrums combined. Each unit is 82.5 watts per lamp for veg or bloom by themselves (that's what we want, right??) leading to a max wattage of 165 watts in total with both units if you want to use a specific spectrum to enhance a given stage of life.

2x Grow Pro 260s (total of $778) @ 195 watts each IN FULL SPECTRUM MODE = 390 watts in both spectrums combined. Each unit is 97.5 watts in individual spectrum modes, totaling 195 watts with two units.

1x Pro Grow 400 ($539) is 250 watts in FULL SPECTRUM MODE and 125 watts for veg or flower modes.

1x Pro Grow X-5 300 ($649. it's the new model number for the X5) is 289 watts in FULL SPECTRUM MODE with 144.5 watts for veg or bloom modes.

Lit Reflex

Lit Reflex

Maybe so but I've seen a successful grow on Youtube with just a Pro Grow 400 (6 plants!) so I'm going where it's tried and true.

I got word back from the company that the Pro Grow 400 can grow as many plants as the X5-300 but you need to do some LST and/or SCROG while the X5-300 is designed for people who want to just plant a seed and forget it.

Nobody is recommending 5 watt LEDs for anything but that purpose. You have to keep a minimum 18 inch clearance over your plants and it's just not acceptable for a 6 foot grow tent.

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

M8 try these i rekon one will do a 2x2 almost half price i run there older series and this will be on my next shopping list .

Lit Reflex

Lit Reflex

I don't know about Mars Hydro man.... First of all it's made in China. Secondly it has terrible heat dissipation as they don't even have fans blowing out the top in the direction heat travels but out the side and they say you shouldn't touch the unit while it's on. Pro Grow units are warm to the touch (they claim zero thermal image) and engineered to dissipate heat not only through fans but through the very construction of the unit itself (plus the fans blow out the top instead of sideways)! The entire point of LEDs for me is eliminating the need for air conditioning.

Did you know that Mars Hydro recommends this unit not be left on longer than 12 hours? Probably due to its horrible heat dissipation. This unit at least simply isn't meant for growing cannabis.

I'd say you get what you pay for but you're 4/5'ths of the way to the Pro Grow I'm going to buy... Why don't you consider a Pro Grow 400 with switchable spectrums for vegetative growth, bloom and both? It won't pack the punch of a 300 watt LED (in full spectrum it is a worthy 250 watts however!!!) but it is apparently sufficient to veg and bloom 6 plants without supplementation.

You probably won't like the fact that it uses half its energy capacity when in a specific spectrum (as half the lights are blue and the other half red) but I've seen the video showing six plants vegging quite nicely under the unit in veg mode. That's all I need and that's all I know.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

you too m8 . I can just about guarantee u every led on the market has some chinese components . Some have there own factorys in china others get the parts made there and then assemble them in their own country . How many leds are in your 400

KarmaKingz

KarmaKingz

I don't know about Mars Hydro man.... First of all it's made in China. Secondly it has terrible heat dissipation as they don't even have fans blowing out the top in the direction heat travels but out the side and they say you shouldn't touch the unit while it's on. Pro Grow units are warm to the touch (they claim zero thermal image) and engineered to dissipate heat not only through fans but through the very construction of the unit itself (plus the fans blow out the top instead of sideways)! The entire point of LEDs for me is eliminating the need for air conditioning.

Did you know that Mars Hydro recommends this unit not be left on longer than 12 hours? Probably due to its horrible heat dissipation. This unit at least simply isn't meant for growing cannabis.

I'd say you get what you pay for but you're 4/5'ths of the way to the Pro Grow I'm going to buy... Why don't you consider a Pro Grow 400 with switchable spectrums for vegetative growth, bloom and both? It won't pack the punch of a 300 watt LED (in full spectrum it is a worthy 250 watts however!!!) but it is apparently sufficient to veg and bloom 6 plants without supplementation.

You probably won't like the fact that it uses half its energy capacity when in a specific spectrum (as half the lights are blue and the other half red) but I've seen the video showing six plants vegging quite nicely under the unit in veg mode. That's all I need and that's all I know.

Good luck.

Your correct, I Have A mars2 Fixture. Sucks for budding, unless you like airy buds. Blasts my veg though, I would use them for veg only, just my opinion. I have two p600s from platinumled and whoa, the difference is night and day. I haven't even used them yet, but the intensity is unreal. Check those out please. For the money they can't be beat. The Mars sun series seems OK but a lot of my buddies are saying they get too hot and use same pull from wall as most hid units 400w. So idk, but research and research and do it some more you can't go wrong with gathering knowledge, also. Check out the little tomatoe concepts Phillips led fixtures rocking that cob luxeon oooh weee. Talk about next l3vel.
Cheers

GeorgiaZ

GeorgiaZ

Good luck.
Hi ,
Usually the recommendation time is relationg to the product's life. Just like what Mars Hydro website says, the life time of this light is 50000 hours, so if you keep it on less than 12 hours, it will keep longer life time even closer to 50000 hours. LED light produces less hot than HPS, but it doesnt mean no hot at all.

As everyone know, most products in the world were made in China, including LED, even though its American company or no matter where, they probably r just resellers...I guess that's the reason why Mars Hydro can give low price, coz they have their own factory and just sell it directly.

I have seen some people's review about using Mars Hydro, seems like that light works good, even with good after sale.
Anyway, if I'm gonna grow indoor, I will definitely choose Mars Hydro.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Wow!
It's like she didn't understand you, Lit reflex.
Or Karmakingz.
Must be a language barrier.
Oh well.
Pearls . . .
Aloha y'all
Been reading some uncommon sense here, carry on.

Weeze

GeorgiaZ

GeorgiaZ

Wow!
It's like she didn't understand you, Lit reflex.
Or Karmakingz.
Must be a language barrier.
Oh well.
Pearls . . .
Aloha y'all
Been reading some uncommon sense here, carry on.

Weeze
Sorry if I misunderstand his meaning.... Not from English-speaking country... awkward...:oops::oops::muted::muted:

GeorgiaZ

GeorgiaZ

Good luck.
Sorry, seems like i have misunderstood your meaning? Ahhh, English is not that easy as I imagined...:(:hungover::(:hungover::hungover:

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Well, that's understandable.
In short, the mars light is a bad choice.

Aloha,
Weeze

GeorgiaZ

GeorgiaZ

Well, that's understandable.
In short, the mars light is a bad choice.

Aloha,
Weeze
Thanks for letting me know that... I am still considering which light to buy, coz I have read many good reviews about Mars light, so, I am really confused now...:confused::confused::confused:

Top Bottom