Pro mix or Fox Farm soil

• Thread starter burnalot420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
Hey guys, currently i am using pro mix in my grow and have heard and seen a lot of great things come out of fox farm, i believe it was a ocean forest, light warrior mix that was recomended. I would like to get some other opinions and personal preferences, all help is appreciated

U

uefear

I use FFOF and it seems to be working great. I didn't cut it with anything so I have a little nute burn but nothing that bad. My plants are growing like crazy other than the minor burn and I have not had to add anything to my soil. I water every few days when they need it and that is it.

Everyone is gonna recommend you cut the FFOF with FFLW so that it has better drainage and you can make the FFOF weaker (nute wise) by doing this which can benefit the strains that tend to burn easier.

Since I didn't cut it with anything it allows me to water my plants and then wait another four days or so before watering again. Personally, I like this because I can be gone for a few days and not worry. If you use a lot of LW you will have to water more often.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
Yea thats what i have heard, which is why i was told to cut it with the light warrior. Honestly i have been usin the pro mix because that is wah tis available locally. Really i want to start using fox's because i have hyeard and seen nothing but good things

D

DevilsAmongUs

always had excellent results with ffof, stick with what works for YOU, everything is worth at least 1 shot, but really its up to the user in the end

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
yea i have to try it ive never use ffof or fflw so i think im gonna mix em both up and give em a try

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
fox farm is good stuff, I just think its a lil hot for tender youngins.
I cut about 50/50 Black Gold or Roots organic potting soil to sunshine mix #4.. At least this is what I use to house my mothers.. They love it. i feed every watering.
:passingjoint:

GTD

D

darookie2000

I have been switching to Canna's bioterra plus from FFOF, I'm liking it a lot so far, but I think it will be even better when I can get my hands on some Canna bio nutes. I had issues with FFOF at the start but I figured them out by switching away from the fox nutes line. I just don't like how messy FFOF is at this point.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
In the past i have used rockwool and now am using pro mix, but i want to use soil and i hear fox farms is the best, but everyone says that it will burn young plants and must be cut with fflw, im just nervous about switching from the pro to fox's, Would anyone be able to tell me where ill see the difference in the switch, taste,smell,yeild, etc.

MileHighChic

MileHighChic

I have been using ProMix Sunshine..it has been great, drains and retains water well. I like adding my own nutes to it and then reusing the soil for my flower garden..double the use!

K

koopa troopa

promix bx has a mostly peat composition if i'm not mistaken. could use some additives/ammendments as well along with extra perlite.

promix hp means that it is high porosity and will drain quickly.

i like the FFOF and have tried many variations of it with other mixtures. some of my best results come from the revised moonshine mix, but i have since switched.

my most current mixes are 75% OF and 25% big & chunky perlite, but i think it would be better to cut with light warrior which seems to be a consensus. man o man does OF have a wonderful smell to it...

DJXXPLATINUM

DJXXPLATINUM

i was thinking about pro mix but i think i will use the ffof/light warrior mix!!! peace djxx

K

koopa troopa

ya dj try it. it costs about $40 to get both bags, but could be less depending on where you go. toss in some dolomite and other extra goodies too.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
the only reason i haven't used fox farm is because i have to order it, as they dont carry it locally and didn't want a pallet of dirt dropped at my house

D

dhhbomb

i have been using ff of for years without any prob just give it water for first 2-3 weeks and then it will be ready for nute i have been considering making the switch to sunshine mix 4 cus its cheapier than ff

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
yea i think that i am going to stay with pro mix for now, i love the stuff and i am getting really familiar with it..been using it for bout a year and a half, i think my next switch will be to hydro, and then i wanna do so true living organic(tlo)

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
I use the HP costs $25 a big bag and I use it twice before sending it of to my bro's farm. Only thing I add besides liquid nutes is 20% worm castings

I

ismokepot

When using Pro Mix make sure it's the BX which has added mircobes in it. There is also another item the same co. makes that has added chucky perlite in it that aids in airation- but it's a difficult find.

w00dy

w00dy

Premium Member
Supporter
I use Pro-Mix HP with great results.

C

Calimad

just my 2cent... ffof has never been to hot for my youngsters, seeds or cuts...

But i would like to go promix one day, seems like many good greenthumbers go that way...

Top Bottom