Pro-Mix Problems

• Thread starter Smoking Gun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

So I have been using Pro-Mix BX recently and have been having issues with the pH of the run-off. The run-off pH is reading just under 5.0 which is too low. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems as though it is a new problem with Pro-Mix. I have tried using dolomite lime to bring the pH up, but still the readings are not where they need to be. Does anyone have any suggestions to deal with this issue?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't use Pro-Mix, but if I recall it's a mix of coir and sphagnum. The sphagnum can and will cause a low pH of the run-off. In fact, I've used it as a filter media to naturally soften and acidify a water column for delicate freshwater fishes.

You can use much harder water, that should help alleviate and elevate the pH.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
What size are the pots that u are using & how old is the plant ? I ues Pro-Mix BX by the pallet never had the problem.

catdaddy

catdaddy

i used to have the same problem until i started ph'ing my water/solutions around 6.6-6.7.

squiggly

squiggly

When working with peat/sphagnum--sometimes it can be beneficial to soak your media and pH it prior to planting. While it naturally acidifies--it will hold it's pH fairly well if you adjust it initially.

Be prepared to add an ass ton of pH up--it would be best probably if you used a natural solution for this rather than the chemical stuff.

If you're working with a ton of media, obviously this doesn't help--but if you're on a smaller scale it's probably your best bet (in the future).

As for now, just water with higher pH--and slowly drift the pH down as your runoff measurements stabilize where you want them. I usually have to do this from the other direction (as my media is generally very basic).

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I always ph my water to 6.5, have used Tons & I really mean Tons of that BX with out any problems, you can top dress the pots with Dolimite Lime, it will bring the PH back up over a few weeks time.

squiggly

squiggly

Consider amending with oyster shell flour, or chipped oyster shells.

Top Bottom