• Thread starter organix4207
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
organix4207

organix4207

Found this info online
Very interesting read
Why Cannabis Grown with the Addition of LAB Might Produce a Superior High

Hypothesis: Mode of Actions for the increased trichome / calyx ratio, increased terpene content, and how this might affect our perception of the potency of probiotic cannabis.

My current hypothesis as to why cannabis grown in a system that utilizes homemade LAB (lactobacillus serum), produces a perceivable increase in potency when compared to non-probiotic cannabis. The LAB in question should be homemade, and from the highest cream source possible, for excess ruminant milk fats. In other words, why puffing probiotic seems to get you more stoned.

First, to understand this I’m expecting you already know a little bit about cannabinoid biosynthesis, and its relationship to terpene biosynthesis. These are phytochemical reactions that occurs in plant tissue that eventually lead to cannabinoid and terpene we all know and love. If you aren’t yet familiar, here’s an incredibly simplified crash course.

Picture one is a basic look at cannabinoid biosynthesis. It begins from Geranyl Pyrophosphate & Olivetolic Acid (The olivetolic acid production of a plant is what increases when subjected to UV-B) and ends with the acidic cannabinoids (the ones found in fresh material, with the additional carboxyl (-COOH ) group. Getting rid of this COOH group is why we cure our smoke, or decarb our hash.

This is a great place to start, but we want to go a little more in depth. So picture two, is the more robust description of the biosynthesis we’re concerned with.

Hexanoyl-CoA, which is derived from the short-chain fatty acid hexanoate, is used as a primer for a polyketide synthase (PKS) enzyme that forms olivetolic acid (OA) (which as you can see above is the precursor to most forms of cannabinoids)

So Hexonate (Hexonic acid) -> hexonyl-CoA -> olivetolic acid

"Hexanoic acid (caproic acid), is the carboxylic acid derived from hexane with the general formula C5H11COOH. It is a fatty acid found naturally in various animal fats and oils, and is one of the chemicals that give the decomposing fleshy seed coat of the ginkgo its characteristic unpleasant odor."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexanoic_acid

"Hexanoic acid (6:0) comprises 1-2% of the total fatty acids in ruminant milk triacylglycerols, where most of it is esterified to position 3 of the triacyl-sn-glycerols. It is also found as a minor component of certain seed oils rich in medium-chain saturated fatty acids..
Medium-chain fatty acids, such as octanoic (8:0), decanoic (10:0) and dodecanoic (12:0), are found in esterified form in most milk fats, including those of non-ruminants, though usually as minor components, but not elsewhere in animal tissues in significant amounts. They are never detected in membrane lipids, for example. They are absent from most vegetable fats, but with important exceptions. Thus, they are major components of such seed oils as coconut oil, palm kernel oil and Cuphea species.
Odd-chain fatty acids from 13:0 to 19:0 are found in esterified form in the lipids of many bacterial species, and they can usually be detected at trace levels in most animal tissues, presumably having been taken up as part of the food chain. In particular, they occur in appreciable amounts (5% or more) in the tissues of ruminant animals."

Ruminant milk triacylglycerols, are milk fats, of a sort.
“Ruminant milk fat is of unique composition among terrestrial mammals, due to its great diversity of component fatty acids. The diversity arises from the effects of ruminal biohydrogenation on dietary unsaturated fatty acids and the range of fatty acids synthesized de novo in the mammary gland.”

This hexonic acid is our catalyst for increased fatty acid biosynthesis, as well as increasing a variety of plant defense systems.

"The data presented in this review reflect the novel contributions made from studying these natural plant inducers, with special emphasis placed on hexanoic acid (Hx), proposed herein as a model tool for this research field. Hx is a potent natural priming agent of proven efficiency in a wide range of host plants and pathogens. It can early activate broad-spectrum defenses by inducing callose deposition and the salicylic acid (SA) and jasmonic acid (JA) pathways. Later it can prime pathogen-specific responses according to the pathogen’s lifestyle. Interestingly, Hx primes redox-related genes to produce an anti-oxidant protective effect, which might be critical for limiting the infection of necrotrophs. Our Hx-IR findings also strongly suggest that it is an attractive tool for the molecular characterization of the plant alarmed state, with the added advantage of it being a natural compound."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25324848

My current hypothesis is that the distribution of terpene / cannabinoid content would be more even when testing different bud sites on the plant, as well as having increased trichome coverage. This would lead to greater cannabinoid ingested per hit. When testing with GC, if showing the same high cannabinoid content as before, it would be nice to see test from lowers / upper bud sites and see the relative difference in content between them, and see if this difference shrinks in probiotically grown cannabis.

"The psychoactive and analgesic cannabinoids (e.g. D9 -tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)) in Cannabis sativa are formed from the short-chain fatty acyl-coenzyme A (CoA) precursor hexanoyl-CoA. Cannabinoids are synthesized in glandular trichomes present mainly on female flowers. We quantified hexanoyl-CoA using LC-MS/MS and found levels of 15.5 pmol g)1 fresh weight in female hemp flowers with lower amounts in leaves, stems and roots. This pattern parallels the accumulation of the end-product cannabinoid, cannabidiolic acid (CBDA). To search for the acyl-activating enzyme (AAE) that synthesizes hexanoyl-CoA from hexanoate, we analyzed the transcriptome of isolated glandular trichomes. We identified 11 unigenes that encoded putative AAEs including CsAAE1, which shows high transcript abundance in glandular trichomes. In vitro assays showed that recombinant CsAAE1 activates hexanoate and other short- and medium-chained fatty acids. This activity and the trichome-specific expression of CsAAE1 suggest that it is the hexanoyl-CoA synthetase that supplies the cannabinoid pathway. CsAAE3 encodes a peroxisomal enzyme that activates a variety of fatty acid substrates including hexanoate. Although phylogenetic analysis showed that CsAAE1 groups with peroxisomal AAEs, it lacked a peroxisome targeting sequence 1 (PTS1) and localized to the cytoplasm. We suggest that CsAAE1 may have been recruited to the cannabinoid pathway through the loss of its PTS1, thereby redirecting it to the cytoplasm. To probe the origin of hexanoate, we analyzed the trichome expressed sequence tag (EST) dataset for enzymes of fatty acid metabolism. The high abundance of transcripts that encode desaturases and a lipoxygenase suggests that hexanoate may be formed through a pathway that involves the oxygenation and breakdown of unsaturated fatty acids."
- The hexanoyl-CoA precursor for cannabinoid biosynthesis is formed by an acyl-activating enzyme in Cannabis sativa trichomes ( http://themodern.farm/…/The hexanoyl-CoA precursor fo… )

Additional Aside: What if the benefit of exogeneous application of LAB is due to lactate breaking down into large reserves of pyruvate. Possibly Lactic Bacteria keeping reserves of pyruvate?

In the absence of oxygen, many cells use fermentation to produce ATP by substrate-level phosphorylation. Pyruvate, the end of glycolysis, serves as an electron acceptor for oxidizing NADH to NAD+, which can then be reused in glycolysis. The end product is lactate, the ionized form of lactic acid.

During lactic bacteria fermentation, pyruvate is reduced directly to NADH to form lactate as an end product, with no release of CO2.

Easy example: Human muscle cells make ATP by lactic acid fermentation when oxygen is scarce. This occurs when we exercise, the sugar catabolism for ATP production outpaces the muscle’s supply of oxygen for the blood, causing the cells to switch from aerobic respiration to fermentation. The lactate that accumulates was what we used to think caused muscle pain / fatigue, but recent research suggest it’s actually increased levels of potassium ions (K+), while the lactate actually enhances muscle performance. In any case the excess lactate is gradually carried away by the blood to the liver where it is converted back to pyruvate by liver cells. Because oxygen is available, this pyruvate can then enter the mitochondria in liver cells and complete cellular respiration.

Further, this is almost how alcohol is produced. With ethanol, pyruvate releases some CO2, which is converted to the two-carbon compound acetaldehyde. Then the acetaldehyde is reduced by NADH to ethanol. This regenerates the the supply of NAD+ needed to continue the glycolysis part of the process.

Glycolysis is a HUGE part of why this planet is inhabitable. Ancient Prokaryotes are thought to have produced most of the oxygen in the atmosphere (The Great Oxygenation). Cyanobacteria produced O2 as by-product of photosynthesis, so they used glycolysis for ATP generation. Glycolysis is the most widespread metabolic pathway on earth’s organisms.

Ecompost

Ecompost

I and this guy http://themodern.farm/ agree mate, my LAB grown bio veganic cabbages wreck giants. No one here gets away without making serious effort to leave :-)

Al jokes aside, LAB have so many benefits to be exploited, from the expression of active CO2 which tracks up soil profiles from sources of organic material in decomposition via microbes, releasing in to the canopy of plant structures through worm tunnels, root gaps and bio film channels acting as huge collaborative snorkel systems, drawing O2 in to the media, and pushing CO2 out.
LAB are known to increase rates of Gamma Interferon, a major component in antibiotic systems, so the use can increase rates of ISR in plants and humans.
I use lots of Bokashi and I grow locally sourced functionalised microbes which I use in my own grows. I have a bunch of products that we have made for markets and general useage, but its hard to do anything other than offer a known base without increasing some risks to the world imo. Hence we researched global microbes and only packed those found on every continent not on one if you get me.

I work in this field of bio ag, but I have concerns about it and about how we act before we think traditionally. Where I am personally focused is in local AM species into a root-organ culture for inocula production, but I am a big fan of LAB, SIP and other techniques supporting sustainable planting.
Local Bio - This is in my mind, a precursor for the direction i want to see all people head in the future. There are many people (me- LOL) raising concerns about the biogeography of these species and whether it is "ok" to inoculate plants with a species, which is for instance, only found on another continent. If you try to bring a teaspoon of soil with you from a foreign country - good luck, if you say it is soil you are done.. In this light, it is interesting that fungal spores can be shipped wherever without too much hassle and everyone believes what you say on the label.

Nice post bro
Eco

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Is it vegan if the starting culture requires milk? And why the high milk fat/cream, in your opinion, @organix4207 ?

I use LABs for making my sourdough and my lactofermented foods, I haven't really done much in the way of purpose-grown LABs for my plants. I do make and use a lot of fermented plant juices/teas, usually without added sugars, but sometimes with. I haven't yet done one using salt to help select out for the LABs, though. Shouldn't be tough on the plants, the highest percentage brine I EVER see anyone use is 5%, and that's not even really required most often, 2%-3% is sufficient outside high sugar ferments.

Top Bottom