Problem Diagnosis Help

• Thread starter Dr3wsky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dr3wsky

Dr3wsky

Please help diagnose my issue!

These guys have been hearty, but are definitely a victim of my growing pains - as evident from the purple stems.
As a project I tried to start indoors, moving out to my condo balcony for the summer months.

1st time grower, and in a condo. Started indoors from seed @ end of March.
transplanted from jiffy pot, then to 3L pot and most recently to a 15L pot for the rest of the summer.

I fucked up and used "vegetable soil" when re-potting most recently. Which I thought was soil with nutrients for flowers and vegetables but is actually a 1"3 additive to normal potting soil. So I basically re-potted & watered, then did the same 24hr later as they were not perking up as expected. I've had droopiness and discolouration in the past which I fixed by correcting watering and repotting due to root binding.

I also hardened off for 2 weeks before this and now they are living on my balcony. Moderate wind, and temps 15-25 deg C. However it's now been 4 days and they are STILL not perking up as expected.

Any thoughts to save my crop?? They get ~5hr of direct sunlight, 3 of indirect and then shaded until sundown.

Problem diagnosis help 4

Problem diagnosis help 3
Problem diagnosis help
Problem diagnosis help 2

Dr3wsky

Dr3wsky

Thanks, that's my thought (and hopes).
Mainly just a lot of shock over a few days from a combination of overwater, 2x transplant with a bit hotter soil, moved outside 24/7 but trying to limit the direct sunlight to help them out.

Good for some reassurance though that they're not a lost cause.

Madbud

Madbud

If you can drill about fifty 3/8” holes in the pots it will help with cooling and aeration.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks, that's my thought (and hopes).
Mainly just a lot of shock over a few days from a combination of overwater, 2x transplant with a bit hotter soil, moved outside 24/7 but trying to limit the direct sunlight to help them out.

Good for some reassurance though that they're not a lost cause.
Good idea limiting sunlight for a while

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

All good advice. They are also hungry it's looks like that soil may not have any nutrients added. Probably a good idea to give them a balanced synthetic nutrient at about 400ppm or 1/3ish of the manufacturer recommended amount.

Dr3wsky

Dr3wsky

I'd just been using a general purpose house plant fertilizer (10-15-10 ?) And gradually upping the dosage before transplant. Will do next watering but I think they definately need to dry out before then.

Any thoughts on temperature and wind? I'm growing outdoors in Toronto. At night it's getting down to 15ish, and up to low 20s (celcius) in the day.

Also have about 25km winds often. I,be nestled them in a corner to shelter as much as possible, but the odd day they get some stronger winds blowing. Nothing near enough to uproot though.

Madbud

Madbud

I'd just been using a general purpose house plant fertilizer (10-15-10 ?) And gradually upping the dosage before transplant. Will do next watering but I think they definately need to dry out before then.

Any thoughts on temperature and wind? I'm growing outdoors in Toronto. At night it's getting down to 15ish, and up to low 20s (celcius) in the day.

Also have about 25km winds often. I,be nestled them in a corner to shelter as much as possible, but the odd day they get some stronger winds blowing. Nothing near enough to uproot though.
Just keep them from whipping into anything. Cold will make them claw at night but its more a clench than a wilt, semi-normal. I pinch off the bottom branches since they grow thin and long. Just my preference.

Dr3wsky

Dr3wsky

I figured I'd have to do that with the lower branches now anyways because of the yellowing. They're not full 5+ fan leaves anyways (so probably won't produce bud?)

I just want to see them all perky again!!!! They were thriving indoors for a while before wilting from being root bound. Figure it's just an adjustment period to the fluctuating outdoor temperatures.

We've got an overcast rainy week right now Toronto. . .

Dr3wsky

Dr3wsky

If you can drill about fifty 3/8” holes in the pots it will help with cooling and aeration.
Instead I lightly aerated the soil (carefully) with a chopstick.

And also started misting 2x a day as we have dry air in Toronto and in-case the roots are having troubles absorbing the soil moisture due to the osmotic gradient.In their old pot the roots had burrowed down into the bottom rock layer where excess water drained and excess nutrients would pool.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Instead I lightly aerated the soil (carefully) with a chopstick.

And also started misting 2x a day as we have dry air in Toronto and in-case the roots are having troubles absorbing the soil moisture due to the osmotic gradient.In their old pot the roots had burrowed down into the bottom rock layer where excess water drained and excess nutrients would pool.
Your 100% going to need drain holes in the pots. Drainage is very important

Dr3wsky

Dr3wsky

Thanks for all the help!! They're starting to perk up now Any tips on knowing when and how much to feed?
I'm not looking for mutant bud, if anything I prefer the weaker stuff that you can smoke more of enjoyably without leaving planet earth. I'm just using a general-purpose houseplant fertilizer.

Also, how do I deal with the damaged lower leaves that are yellowed or seem to have nutrient burn? (2 images below). I'm pretty sure those won't recover. Are they even useful in producing buds or are they just taking energy from hthe rest of the plant?

101330745 899625330449936 8037165643805491200 n
101215156 252123309348262 3404075569959141376 n

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for all the help!! They're starting to perk up now Any tips on knowing when and how much to feed?
I'm not looking for mutant bud, if anything I prefer the weaker stuff that you can smoke more of enjoyably without leaving planet earth. I'm just using a general-purpose houseplant fertilizer.

Also, how do I deal with the damaged lower leaves that are yellowed or seem to have nutrient burn? (2 images below). I'm pretty sure those won't recover. Are they even useful in producing buds or are they just taking energy from hthe rest of the plant?

View attachment 981283 View attachment 981284
The damaged leaves will not get better. Just pay attention to new growth. Water with 1/3 to 1/2 what the directions say on the ferts for this stage. Let the pots get light before watering again

Reactions: Ina
Madbud

Madbud

The very bottom leaves and branches, i would pinch off since they take more than they give. The branches will grow long with small tops, just not worth the energy they take from the plant.

Dr3wsky

Dr3wsky

Thanks for all the tips and tricks boys (and girls?).
I think my main problem other than this shock has been slight overwatering. Will reduce frequency. Heard about a trick of using a same-sized pot of dry soil to compare weights to make sure you're not overwatering. I will definitely lean to the UNDERwatering side to compensate for my heavy hand.

Anyone have photos of their own grow - out of curiosities sake?

I'm thinking of topping them once they're bigger - for wind reasons. Promote outward growth and keep below the height of the balcony. It can get a bit windy here on the 28th floor.

Madbud

Madbud

Thanks for all the tips and tricks boys (and girls?).
I think my main problem other than this shock has been slight overwatering. Will reduce frequency. Heard about a trick of using a same-sized pot of dry soil to compare weights to make sure you're not overwatering. I will definitely lean to the UNDERwatering side to compensate for my heavy hand.

Anyone have photos of their own grow - out of curiosities sake?

I'm thinking of topping them once they're bigger - for wind reasons. Promote outward growth and keep below the height of the balcony. It can get a bit windy here on the 28th floor.
You may need to stake them later but the wind is always strong here too. I’ve topped and trained but these are au naturale this year.

4E5AB682 3EB5 46E7 8175 B9AB2A2ACEDF
12EB5078 DA6A 48D9 990F 31AB0E826B0A
Dr3wsky

Dr3wsky

What's the reasoning behind the coffee pots? to control the roots and make sure they're the ones that absorb the nutrients?

Just did my first re-watering of the new pots today. Let them get very light. Added 1/2 dose general plant fertilizer (10-15-10) and just a tiny drop of rooting hormone to help the new roots set -figured it can't hurt. These lads are THRIVING:
102644993 616130355662779 3661276528139695548 n

Madbud

Madbud

What's the reasoning behind the coffee pots? to control the roots and make sure they're the ones that absorb the nutrients?

Just did my first re-watering of the new pots today. Let them get very light. Added 1/2 dose general plant fertilizer (10-15-10) and just a tiny drop of rooting hormone to help the new roots set -figured it can't hurt. These lads are THRIVING: View attachment 983491
I’ve used them for a couple years. I give them to friends and they’re easy to plant. Thinking about switching to pvc with a cap next year.

Top Bottom