Problem with 1st organic try

• Thread starter Panhead59
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Panhead59

Panhead59

This is my 3rd grow, 1st organic. @ComfortablyNumb makes it seem so simple I thought I'd give the organic method a try. Ffhf soul with coast of Maine organic lobster compost added at beginning along with hf all purpose 6-4-5. 1st day of flower they got hf fruit + flower 4-9-3. Another dose of the later@ 30 days into flower. Now at almost 6 wks into flower it looks like something is off/lacking. It seems a little premature for the natural fade. Leaves have been very slowly yellowing for about a week. What should i do ? Environment has been excellent whole time. No issues at all till now. Blue dream plants (2) call for 9 wks flower approx.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
This is my 3rd grow, 1st organic. @ComfortablyNumb makes it seem so simple I thought I'd give the organic method a try. Ffhf soul with coast of Maine organic lobster compost added at beginning along with hf all purpose 6-4-5. 1st day of flower they got hf fruit + flower 4-9-3. Another dose of the later@ 30 days into flower. Now at almost 6 wks into flower it looks like something is off/lacking. It seems a little premature for the natural fade. Leaves have been very slowly yellowing for about a week. What should i do ? Environment has been excellent whole time. No issues at all till now. Blue dream plants (2) call for 9 wks flower approx.
Pics or we can't really say...

Panhead59

Panhead59

Ooops here's some pics
20220411 123401
20220411 123416
20220411 123325
20220411 123335
20220411 123311
20220411 123317
20220411 123302
20220411 123428

Panhead59

Panhead59

Thanks for replies. I used ffhf soil since I had, and still have, a bunch of it. I followed what the people at my "grow store" advised which is - in a 5 gal. Fabric pot mix soil and 1 handful of hf all purpose organic fert. W/active microbes 6-4-5 and 3 handfuls of coast of maine lobster compost. Mix well, keep moist for 2 wks. After 4 wks veg, add 1 more handful of each of the same two items. Day of flip (5 wks. Ago) add 1 handful of flower and fruit with active microbes, 4-9-3 and repeat every 30 days in flower. This is what has been added. So they got a second shot of the fruit n flower about 10 days ago.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Looks like a magnesium deficiency to me. Your cal should be good from those amendments but not sure if they have enough magnesium.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Just checked them. I now see some slightly burnt tips. They got plain water today, as usual.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Update. It's been a month since last post on this issue. Now A week or so from harvest. Amber trics Just showing up. I added FF big bloom which is listed as organic into watering schedule. Every other time. It stopped the yellowing and these blue dream are the healthiest plants I've grown so far. Still a rookie as this was/is only my 3rd grow over 1 yr. Reps from fox farms were at a training class in my town recently and suggested the big bloom throughout the grow. Pics are 2 blue dreams. I've read to reuse the organic soil. So should I amend as stated previously, like a new batch of soil ? Staying with organic, it seems to work for me. Very easy.

20220509 104938
20220509 104958
20220509 104947
R

rolandrog

Update. It's been a month since last post on this issue. Now A week or so from harvest. Amber trics Just showing up. I added FF big bloom which is listed as organic into watering schedule. Every other time. It stopped the yellowing and these blue dream are the healthiest plants I've grown so far. Still a rookie as this was/is only my 3rd grow over 1 yr. Reps from fox farms were at a training class in my town recently and suggested the big bloom throughout the grow. Pics are 2 blue dreams. I've read to reuse the organic soil. So should I amend as stated previously, like a new batch of soil ? Staying with organic, it seems to work for me. Very easy.
What town are you in, asking because of fox farm in town? What is your pH of soil? What is your TDS of soil/run-off water? Looks like the plant is nutrition locked out - drooping leaves - not enough water and not getting nutrients.

Personally, I tried to re-use my fox farm organic soil. I'm using very alkaline chicken compost. To bring down the pH, I have to use virgin peat moss. It will take buckets of pH Down to achieve correct pH. After adding the peat moss to adjust my compost, I have no volume to add recycled fox farm media lol. So I just added 1/3 perlite to my custom mix with worm castings and Mycorrhiza.

To re-use my old fox farm media, I'm not going organic - just media - peat moss and perlite. I soak my old media in water with 3 tbl dolomite lime and 1 tbl Epsom salt per gallon water. I adjust this to pH=6.8 and let the saturated media soak in this excess water mixture over night. Test pH of strained media a week later and its still at pH 6.8. I don't have to use cal-mag supplement right away.

Organic grow is good for outdoors soil. Not really needed and a waste of money for container growing.

I have some different compost from another source I haven't tried. If the pH is closer to neutral, I'll try adding it the fox farm recycled media. If not, organic-free grows for me now on. Those companies, Fox Farm included, just want to feed you bullshit to buy more of their needless products. P.S., Grow Big contains too much phosphorus after the 3 weeks into the veg stage. This excessive P will lock out your plant and decrease the pH. Just MY 2 cents worth. To each their own.

freezeland2

freezeland2

What town are you in, asking because of fox farm in town? What is your pH of soil? What is your TDS of soil/run-off water? Looks like the plant is nutrition locked out - drooping leaves - not enough water and not getting nutrients.

Personally, I tried to re-use my fox farm organic soil. I'm using very alkaline chicken compost. To bring down the pH, I have to use virgin peat moss. It will take buckets of pH Down to achieve correct pH. After adding the peat moss to adjust my compost, I have no volume to add recycled fox farm media lol. So I just added 1/3 perlite to my custom mix with worm castings and Mycorrhiza.

To re-use my old fox farm media, I'm not going organic - just media - peat moss and perlite. I soak my old media in water with 3 tbl dolomite lime and 1 tbl Epsom salt per gallon water. I adjust this to pH=6.8 and let the saturated media soak in this excess water mixture over night. Test pH of strained media a week later and its still at pH 6.8. I don't have to use cal-mag supplement right away.

Organic grow is good for outdoors soil. Not really needed and a waste of money for container growing.

I have some different compost from another source I haven't tried. If the pH is closer to neutral, I'll try adding it the fox farm recycled media. If not, organic-free grows for me now on. Those companies, Fox Farm included, just want to feed you bullshit to buy more of their needless products. P.S., Grow Big contains too much phosphorus after the 3 weeks into the veg stage. This excessive P will lock out your plant and decrease the pH. Just MY 2 cents worth. To each their own.
A lot of us grow organic indoors with great results, but you are right about to each their own.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Yeah it's water day so a tad droopy. Discolored leaves are from previous problem. Just need to learn about reusing soil or not.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

That last pic in your April 11 post shows some classic K deficiency symptoms. Most flower nutes and "bloom boosters" have a heavy does of P and K.

Looks good.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Once I added the big bloom, all was good. I think I threw in some cal mag also. Some of that discoloring I feel is natural, but I could be wrong. They are REAL close to being done. Tks for replies. Each grow is getting better and that's what counts!!!😎

Top Bottom