Problems With Keeping Tent Cool

• Thread starter Onetwothree
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Onetwothree

Onetwothree

I have a 4x2x5 grow tent with a 600w air cooled hood set up. I recently swapped out a Ven Tech 440 cfm fan for a Can Fan Max pro series 420 cfm. The Ven tech was super noisy but was doing a good job otherwise. Now, my issue is my area just got nailed with a pretty bad heat wave. The tent is in my garage where the temps are around 77, but the tent is getting up to 87 with lights on.

Now, you would think a 420 cfm top of the line fan would be able to handle such a small tent no problem right? I have the fan pulling the hot air from the light and spitting it out...so the set up is carbon filter-->light-->fan. Is my set up flawed? I should mention the filter is a 200 cfm phresh. The filter and light are obviously both in the tent with the fan outside the tent.

Any thoughts?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
You will need an air conditioned room to control the temp. The air inside the tent will never match the air outside with the light on.

Larger fans are actually quieter, and also cool better. A larger cfm fan and filter would get the number closer to 77 now but in the mid summer sun you will need a window unit for sure.

Last edited:
str8smokn

str8smokn

Do you still have the old fan?
What you need to do is cool the light off with fresh 77* air from outside of tent.
Tape up your light so no air leaks,bring fresh air from outside of tent straight through light and out of tent. No need to filter it since it's not removing air from tent.
Then use your other fan as a exhaust for the tent with your filter on it .
You can not cool off a light if your using hot air to begin with..
This is how it should actually be done..
STR8

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Ac is your only option with your temps. Can't cool hot air with more hot air. With fans, your just moving already hot air around, not cooling it. Since your in a small tent, you can make your own ac type unit. Using a cooler, ice, and a fan. There's a diy tek on it somewhere about it. Not sure how good itnis, but for a small tent, I'd check into it. Maybe use dry ice vs ice for longer cooling times. But again, if it were me I'd score an 8k btu portable ac, or build a cab and exhaust for a window shaker unit.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Thanks for all the advice guys. So yea I hooked up the fans in the proper fashion that STR8 described. It helped out a bit for sure but it looks like the only way to really solve the problem is an AC unit.

Fatty LIVES

Fatty LIVES

I'm not sure if this will work in your situation, but it worked for me. I was using too much EXIT air in my tent. I went with a shorter exit flow and upped the air intake and i dropped 4-5 degrees. sometimes my tent is cooler by 2 degrees than my room is.. Just using a good floor fan with like a cage fan inside.. duct taped a 6" duct and split it with a 6 to 6x6 for intake to both sides. 1 6" inline duct fan for exit.

Fatty LIVES

Fatty LIVES

basically the logic is to keep your ac in... rather than trying to constant flush it out.. creating a great negative pressure

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

So I've managed to keep my lights on temp at around 84, I know it's not optimal, but without installing a mini split AC unit, it's the best I can do.

Now my question to you knowledgeable folks is this: my plants will be harvested in 5 days...do I just wait out the summer months and fire up the tent again in the fall when it's cooler, or is 85 not all that bad? I know optimally I would like to keep the tent around 75 when flowering, but how much is it really going to effect the end product?

As always, all of your feedback is appreciated.

SpiderK

SpiderK

what size room is the tent in ?

say it's in a large room. you can build a " room " around the tent with 3 mil plastic. then control this environment and exhaust out of tent, past the three mil area and dump old air into larger room ..... so you only are cooling a small area around tent. could even use a swamp cooler for the small 3 mil room.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

what size room is the tent in ?

say it's in a large room. you can build a " room " around the tent with 3 mil plastic. then control this environment and exhaust out of tent, past the three mil area and dump old air into larger room ..... so you only are cooling a small area around tent. could even use a swamp cooler for the small 3 mil room.

That's a cool idea, I'll check that out. I'm in a garage, and have a small "room" inside the garage with my tent. Basically 3 walls and then a sliding door that barely fits the tent.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

You can't use a portable ac unit? Only needs a dryer vent sized area to exhaust. I'm in a basement setting, and I vent out a window.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

You can't use a portable ac unit? Only needs a dryer vent sized area to exhaust. I'm in a basement setting, and I vent out a window.

Negative, unfortunately there's no way to exhaust out in my garage. No windows at all.

Cryptic

Cryptic

i have a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 with a 400 hps and my tent runs hot. like 90 to 100 in the summer months. i have one exhaust fan running out the top and the door wide open with a fan blowing air in. the room is only like 75 and im not sure how to cool it further. any ideas?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
i have a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 with a 400 hps and my tent runs hot. like 90 to 100 in the summer months. i have one exhaust fan running out the top and the door wide open with a fan blowing air in. the room is only like 75 and im not sure how to cool it further. any ideas?

Sounds like you need to either:

Get a cooltube setup.

Buy a better day/night fan controller (this helps a lot by reacting quickly to environmental changes).

It's possible you need a higher capacity exhaust system? Bigger fan, wider ducting?

Reduce the temperature of the room the tent is in. Until tent temp hits where you want it.

Or all of the above because,
I have a 2x2 flowering chamber.
And with the 400 watt hps my tent sits around °80-°84. House a/c set to °75 now that outside temps are dropping.
During summer a/c needed to be set at °68

If I had a 2.5×2.5 tent I'd be rocking a 600watt hid it would give me around 2,200 lumens per cubic ft.

My 400 watt in a 2x2x6 gives me 2,750 lumens per cubic ft.

With the 2 supplemental led bulbs (1600 lumens each) puts my lumens per cubic ft @ 2,910.

Your tent should control that heat very well.

Fatty LIVES

Fatty LIVES

duct AC into there, blast a fan on the bulb if you don't have an independent. What I did.. dropped it 20 deg :). I went through the same jazz

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Hi I have had a similar problem I'm using 3'x3'x6' tent with 6" exhaust fan, carbon filter and silencer , 600 hps with a small shade hood . I had a spike in the heat which caused a bit of heat stress and sent some of the heads to foxtail , had to flush 3 days then harvest the affected heads then came back into bloom and I added some Seasol at recamended rates this has a good affect on helping the plant with heat stress ,to fix my problem I raised my light as far up as I could alowing a 6" gap and still being approx 2' above the existing heads then got some white shade cloth which is the best shade for flowering plants and cable tied it across the top of the crop this brought my temp down by 10 to 12 degrees . I hope that helps ✌️

Last edited:
Top Bottom