Problems with yield

• Thread starter RacecarRandy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RacecarRandy

RacecarRandy

I have been growing for a while and have not been getting the yield that I should be. The one thing I am not good at is training, thinning out and arranging everything efficiently under the lights.
My setup is 6 grow and flow buckets under a 1000 watt light with a magnum xxxl reflector.
I normally veg for about 30 days and top each plant once or twice. Then I try tying them down so the tops are all even.
I normally get about .5 grams per watt and I know this is way to low. Everything is of amazing quality and some of the buds are absolutely massive but there is a lot of unused space after about the 4th week of flowering. I just cannot get a grasp on how to properly arrange everything evenly to get a good yield.
I would greatly appreciate all advice/suggestions.

Matthewstever

Matthewstever

1. With only one fixture for that many buckets, being able to rotate the plants so they all get an equal share of the sweet spot can help.
2. My yields doubled when I stopped topping my plants and started using LST- tying the main stem and all the branches down horizontal. Topping slows down the growth, and unless you've got time to top, and then top, and then top again, I get way more main colas with LST than I ever did topping the plants, and I don't lose time.
Now, if I only had good lights......

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

1. With only one fixture for that many buckets, being able to rotate the plants so they all get an equal share of the sweet spot can help.
2. My yields doubled when I stopped topping my plants and started using LST- tying the main stem and all the branches down horizontal. Topping slows down the growth, and unless you've got time to top, and then top, and then top again, I get way more main colas with LST than I ever did topping the plants, and I don't lose time.
Now, if I only had good lights......

I prefer LST. I think it shortens veg time over topping. I also agree that unless you intend to spend the extra time vegging, LST methods give better yields.

RacecarRandy

RacecarRandy

How do you do arrange the plants and stems when doing lst? I am quite familiar with it and use lst along with topping but have the greatest amount of trouble with getting everything to take up an equal amount of space and stay at the same height.
My veg and flower room are separate so I have to do a lot of the lst during flower.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

How do you do arrange the plants and stems when doing lst? I am quite familiar with it and use lst along with topping but have the greatest amount of trouble with getting everything to take up an equal amount of space and stay at the same height.
My veg and flower room are separate so I have to do a lot of the lst during flower.

Have you thought about using a net?

I haven't put it in place yet, but I have a net I built out of pvc and eye screws. When it's time, put it in place and that should make keeping an even canopy somewhat easier.

Most people think of scrogging with a topped plant, but you can still use a net to train your plants whether they are topped or not.

RacecarRandy

RacecarRandy

I would prefer not to use a net/scrog unless it is a last resort. Space is really tight and it was quite a nightmare the few times I have done scrog in this room.

Matthewstever

Matthewstever

I put my net a few inches above the plants when I flipped to flower. I set my clones in their pots tilted. I start tying them down when they've about 12" tall, so they're branched like crazy when I flip. As they stretch, you weave them horizontally...you have to plan where they are going to go..and fill the net...
Next crop will have a second net above the first with the goal of a cola in each square of the net...I let mine go vertical too soon this time around tho...
I'm.still learning too...but I'm.seeing.my yields grow..

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I would prefer not to use a net/scrog unless it is a last resort. Space is really tight and it was quite a nightmare the few times I have done scrog in this room.

Scrog works best when there is room between plants. I've seen people use tomato cages for training. Not sure if that works for you, but it is a thought. Clothe line is another possibility, or pipe cleaners and bamboo sticks ... I bet if you put some thought into it, you will find a solution that works well for your grow.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Do you have any photos? 1000watts can mean very different things. Is that HPS, MH, LED, etc.?

Above statement is true ... If an LED light is advertised as a 1000 watts but it only draws 200 watts from the wall, it's not a 1000 watt light. It's a 200 watt light.

Watts from the wall outlet is the best indicator of the light. Many of us here are using Quantum Board LED lighting in various configurations. These are very high intensity panels! They produce a lot of light per watt.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Up your veg.to 45 days.

Space might limit veg time a bit, however he's right about using veg time to better utilize your space. Be sure to leave enough space to allow the stretch during flowering. You can also veg too long and over-fill your space.

Munch517

Munch517

Space might limit veg time a bit, however he's right about using veg time to better utilize your space. Be sure to leave enough space to allow the stretch during flowering. You can also veg too long and over-fill your space.

This. Veg your plants until they fill the space you need, not for any set amount of time. While not ideal, you can always trim some branches away during the stretch if the plant gets cluttered but you can't put them back in to veg to fill the space better.

RoscoTom

RoscoTom

Here's my version of a mini individual scrog. Garden fence with rectangular holes and scrap wood.
Longer veg, lots of topping, all arranged with pipe cleaners.
Very easy to keep and arrange a nice even canopy.
Those tubs are all on dollies, they get moved daily.
I can fit 10 under my 1000w HPS with a lightrail.
I beat a g per watt regularly.
IMG 0155

IMG 0140 2 copy

Rosco

RacecarRandy

RacecarRandy

Do you have any photos? 1000watts can mean very different things. Is that HPS, MH, LED, etc.?

My lights are 1000 watt HPS. I have 3 of them in flower with 6 pots under each. In the veg room I have 1 1000 watt HPS with 18 pots under it.

Rosco that seems like a great yield and your canopy looks awesome!

RoscoTom

RoscoTom

My lights are 1000 watt HPS. I have 3 of them in flower with 6 pots under each. In the veg room I have 1 1000 watt HPS with 18 pots under it.

Thanks!
Here's a pic that shows scale.
My canopy is about a foot thick, lots of light.
The lightrail is awesome. One, 1k hps with a cheap reflector covers an area 4'x8'.
Rosco

Screen Shot 2018 11 20 at 72613 PM   Version 2
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Any advice on how I could better train these current plants?

With a space like you have i would do like I do. Grow them up big and during stretch in 12/12 bend them down to promote lower branches to grow up into a bush. Plenty of examples in my thread. Easy but does not work on short stocky indicas as well. I should top those multiple times into a bush then flower I think.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Top Bottom