Progress of Auto AK 47 and a question about stunted seedling

• Thread starter tonevangel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tonevangel

tonevangel

Hi guys! :)

I started my new grow about a week ago. But the problem is that I stunted my little baby... My guess is overwatering (amateur mistake, like I am not... :D). Anyway... Here's some details about my grow:
----------------------------------------------
Light - √
Temperature - √
Humidity - √
Air circulation - √
Oscillating fan - √
PH - √
Soil - √ (it's 2/3 soil & 1/3 perlite, but the soil is for cuttings, very low in nutrients, it's airy but retains water as well)
Fabric pot - √
Germination of the seed with paper towel method - 09th Feb (about 2 days)
Planted the seed in the soil - 11th Feb (was using a dome for about 3 days to keep the humidity high)
Day 1 - 14th Feb (the moment the first true leave are as same size or bigger than the water leaves)
How old - 6 days
So, I've reached the conclusion that I've overwatered my seedling. Considering the dark spots on the leaves and discoloration of the new growth I think it's either a nutrients lock or my plant is hungry, which is quite possible in that kind of soil. To me it look kind of phosphorus and sulfur deficiency or just nitrogen deficiency.
What I did wrong and what I think I should do:

X - I saw that the soil is premoisten, but I added some more water, being worried that my roots are going to die or be stunted because of underwatering.

√ - Just mix the premoisten soil with perlite and wait for slight symptoms of underwatering (possibly the same period of time, but that plant won't be stunted) and if needed slowly add some nutrients 1/4 or 1/3 of the dose for mature plant with extra phosphorus in the ratio.
How I solved the problem:

I've used some kind heating math underneath the pot to accelerate drying out the soil. It worked, my plant is better now, the leaves are not as droopy as they used to be, and there's some new growth of secondary leaves.
My questions:

• Do I've to wait a little bit more before watering again? (when I stick my finger in the soil it's just slightly moist)
• Do you think it's stunted not only because of overwatering, but because the plant is hungry? (this soil is for fragile cuttings in a first place)
• What kind of deficiency do you think my plant has?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :)))

IMG_6290.JPG

Last edited:
Bigbagofspam

Bigbagofspam

I started my new grow about a week ago. But the problem is that I stunted my little baby... My guess is overwatering (amateur mistake, like I am not... :D). Anyway... Here's some details about my grow:
Light - √
Temperature - √
Humidity - √
Air circulation - √
Oscillating fan - √
PH - √
Soil - √ (it's 2/3 soil & 1/3 perlite, but the soil is for cuttings, very low in nutrients, it's airy but retains water as well)
Fabric pot - √
Germination of the seed with paper towel method - 09th Feb (about 2 days)
Planted the seed in the soil - 11th Feb (was using a dome for about 3 days to keep the humidity high)
Day 1 - 14th Feb (the moment the first true leave are as same size or bigger than the water leaves)
How old - 6 days
So, I've reached the conclusion that I've overwatered my seedling. Considering the dark spots on the leaves and discoloration of the new growth I think it's either a nutrients lock or my plant is hungry, which is quite possible in that kind of soil. To me it look kind of phosphorus and sulfur deficiency or just nitrogen deficiency.
What I did wrong and what I think I should do:

X - I saw that the soil is premoisten, but I added some more water, being worried that my roots are going to die or be stunted because of underwatering.

√ - Just mix the premoisten soil with perlite and wait for slight symptoms of underwatering (possibly the same period of time, but that plant won't be stunted) and if needed slowly add some nutrients 1/4 or 1/3 of the dose for mature plant with extra phosphorus in the ratio.
How I solved the problem:

I've used some kind heating math underneath the pot to accelerate drying out the soil. It worked, my plant is better now, the leaves are not as droopy as they used to be, and there's some new growth of secondary leaves.
My questions:

• Do I've to wait a little bit more before watering again? (when I stick my finger in the soil it's just slightly moist)
• Do you think it's stunted not only because of overwatering, but because the plant is hungry? (this soil is for fragile cuttings in a first place)
• What kind of deficiency do you think my plant has?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :)))

View attachment 1093837
One trick I learned with the paper towel method that may help you is to not actually fold the seed into the towel but to place the seed directly on a small plate then place the moistened towel over it and press down a bit to form fit it. This helps in preventing the ripping out of as many fine root hairs when you remove it from the paper towel. I also add 1 part rooting gel (Clone-x) to 20 parts water and directly inject it into the rapid rooter beside the stem (and about 1/8" down) for the first 3 days. It takes a lot of shaking to mix it well. This seems to save a full week off of the veg cycle, practically skipping the transplant stagnation completely.

I use Rapid Rooters, domes, and T5s to be transplanted directly to 3 1/2 gal net buckets with clay pebbles in hydro. In larger grows this gets a bit expensive but it saves me about a week of veg cycle stagnation. I have also used this method in soil seedlings under a dome and it worked very well. This picture is of a clone 10 days in and the root mass is pushing it up out of the tray, and even thriving up above ground.

Roots above ground
Last edited:
tonevangel

tonevangel

10 days old today. The plant is a little bit better, but the bad symptoms still persist.
The problem is not only that the plant is small, but it doesn't look healthy.
If we put on side overwatering, at least that's my conclusion, everything else is considered according to the plant needs.
I am confused because I don't know what I did wrong, especially after the lesson learned with my first plant, and successful second grow.
What do you think, how much time to wait, before replacing it with another seed?
Could it be the seed? Sounds like an excuse but... :D

THANK YOU! :)

IMG 6296

tonevangel

tonevangel

Hi guys!
A little update on my Ak:
Today is day 81 of 70. 😃
I didn't think that it would made it, but here it is.
Soon it's harvest time. The problem is that I'm not really sure when to harvest it.
Leaves are pretty yellow, some of the sugar leaves as well.
When I check the trichomes I see mostly cloudy, here and there amber, and some clear at the bottom of the plant. But it's not very easy to check the calyxes because they're foxtailing all the time.
It's kind of outdoor grow.
The plant has fluffy buds, but I don't expect anything different with so much stress. It wont stop foxtaling anyway, so I don't know how much more time to wait.
In conclusion I don't want to lose potency or make a sleeping aid. 😃
What do you think guys?
Thanks again! 🙂

IMG 20210506 145954
IMG 20210506 150018
IMG 20210506 150036
IMG 20210506 150235
IMG 20210506 150259

garybo

garybo

I suggest you quit feeding the plant for a couple of weeks and then cut and harvest.
The fan leaves are turning yellow is a sign that the plant is taking nutes from the leaves and directing them to the flower, this and the fact that you are seeing amber here and there is the time to quit feeding and provide minimal water up to a week before harvest, then quit with the water. This causes the plant to work overtime trying to provide food to the flowers. Making the plant thirsty gets rid of the nute taste.
Good luck and keep us informed on how it turns out for you.

tonevangel

tonevangel

Day 86 now. For 5 days it's getting more and more discolored. I stopped feeding her about two weeks ago.
What do you think guys, is it normal, or I underfed her at the final weeks?
Btw: trichomes are mainly cloudy, some are clear and just a few are amber. It could be me, because with my pocket microscope and it's very very narrow focus distance and the foxtailing, it's kind of hard to tell.
Few more days and my lady is going into the drying room I think.
Thanks! 🙃

Latest posts

Top Bottom