Promix And Dolamite Lime

• Thread starter Mraoa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mraoa

Mraoa

Should i add dl to my promix hp i know it already has some in it but can it hurt my plants? Also ice read witg using promix it should be thouroghly soaked prior to seeds going in. Myth?

Foxlink

Foxlink

Been using 1 cup per 1.5cu' of ocean forest for 4+yrs and never any issues.

He was asking about dolomite, that is all lime-having to much Ca or Mg or even your pH is to low, pH up Ca+ or Mg+ in nutrients. I left the site that really does explain why it can be dangerous (or lethal to your plants), I wouldn't suggest using it as a beginner. Not saying it isn't usable, just a suggestion man.

-Fox

Stumpy420

Stumpy420

DL compacted soil now I have to buy gypsum and add that in because I used to much DL and it compacted my soil. Luckily the mag didn't burn my plants up.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
He was asking about dolomite, that is all lime-having to much Ca or Mg or even your pH is to low, pH up Ca+ or Mg+ in nutrients. I left the site that really does explain why it can be dangerous (or lethal to your plants), I wouldn't suggest using it as a beginner. Not saying it isn't usable, just a suggestion man.

-Fox
It's not the presence of Ca or Mg that's an issue, it's the CO3 (carbonate) molecule. It's that molecule that "creates" alkalinity (buffers pH shift). I don't disagree that there are far better options, but the Ca & Mg aren't DL's issue.

To the OP, I say also include your water's alkalinity in these equations. If your water is high in carbonate hardness, then I feel you can leave out buffering agents in your soil and let the water do the work for you here. If not, then you may want to consider adding them, but be very clear on this one thing--ANYTHING with a carbonate molecule is going to buffer pH and it's going to be difficult to get it driven back down. So go easy on it.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Im.only talking about DL. What did you think I've been talking about my last 3 or so posts? 1 cup DL PER 1.5cu' bag of ocean forest or other medium.

I've never seen an issue in over 4 yrs. Even as a beginner, I used it to this ratio and I knock every run out of the park. I've never been under 1gpw ever in any grow.

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

Only time a person should really use it is when there is soil ph issues .
Unless you really know the amounts of Calcium and magnesium already in your soil .. adding it can cause you issues .
At the end of the day dolomite lime is a fertilizer.
I suggest adding organic matter instead and let the micro life dictate soil ph

This is why we see so many issues because instead of letting nature or life in do its thing

We speed up the process or think we speed it up when in fact we slow it down

There is no need to add this stuff unless soil tests tell you so . people blindly adding amendments or anything else is playing Russian roulette you might get lucky you might not

Stop guessing if your trying to grow organic then mix min 40 percent organic matter into any soil . fresh organic matter just make sure your soil has lots of aeration so anerobic does not take hold you be surprised how fast it decomposes
Plain and simple allow time for microbes to establish and everything will fall into place

Start adding witchcraft products and chase your self through out your grow
Remember its a weed your growing
people worry to much

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Only time a person should really use it is when there is soil ph issues .
Unless you really know the amounts of Calcium and magnesium already in your soil .. adding it can cause you issues .
At the end of the day dolomite lime is a fertilizer.
I suggest adding organic matter instead and let the micro life dictate soil ph

This is why we see so many issues because instead of letting nature or life in do its thing

We speed up the process or think we speed it up when in fact we slow it down

There is no need to add this stuff unless soil tests tell you so . people blindly adding amendments or anything else is playing Russian roulette you might get lucky you might not

Stop guessing if your trying to grow organic then mix min 40 percent organic matter into any soil . fresh organic matter just make sure your soil has lots of aeration so anerobic does not take hold you be surprised how fast it decomposes
Plain and simple allow time for microbes to establish and everything will fall into place

Start adding witchcraft products and chase your self through out your grow
Remember its a weed your growing
people worry to much
I could not agree with you more on this. If more farmers actually did a soil analysis to see what minerals are deficient there would be a lot less heartache when it comes to growing. One of the most common errors with growing is over fertilization. More is not better when we are talking the soil food web and ph. Only add nutes and amendments when your soil is deficient and it will pay you back with less stress and better harvests!!!

In addition promix has an adequate supply of Ca. No need to add any.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
In closing Mother Nature is the best regulator of Ph. Feed the soil and the soil will take care of your plants.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

4+ yrs using it and knock out yeilds. Never and I repeat, I've never had, seen, or been aware of any issues resulting from using it.

M

motz

Used to use dolomite with Promix all the time but I used to crush it up and put in hot water to break down.
Then I watered it in.

Never had problems with pH swings and Promix.
Just untested wellwater.

Latest posts

Top Bottom