promix hp help

• Thread starter purplover83
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

purplover83

hi guys can i get some help from people who use promix hp.:)

i know promix hp already contains dolomite lime but i also heard its good to add additional lime to stabalize ph. so how much should i add per bale. also how much perlite to add per bale if any.

i have been using a foxfarm soil with a drain to waste system using 3 gallon pots and RO water. im ready to try something new and see if i can improve my overall yield and quality.

thanks for your help

G

GirlCarny

Ive always read 1tbsp of lime to gallon of soil. The promix hp already has it in it so cant help you if it actually needs it.

M

MIway

I use it w/o adding more lime... it does have some DL in there & seems to run just fine w a pH of 6.3~6.5.

Start feeding after the first hydration, as there are no organic additives as w the FF.

Don't have any need to add more perlite to the HP... it has roughly 25~30% in it as is.

And if you do add at 1tbsp per gal... that would be roughly 28tbsp per bale, but isn't necessary. You can always buffer a solution every now & then with finely ground DL... I do as good measure to buffer it.

P

purplover83

thanks guys

thanks guys for your help i guess im gonna run this grow with the promix hp and not adding no extra lime or perlite. thanks

B

Badmf

I use Promix as a base and haven't needed to add any DL but I mix in Happay Frog at 12% and compost at 15% with EWC, Azolmite, eggshells (dryed then pulverized) polymers and excellent results. The polymers are for distant grows to lessen watering needs. I also supplement mych. and lacto B. Hope this helps.

C

CHILKaT

Promix HP is mainly peat moss, if you're planning on running soilless drain to waste with straight Promix HP I've found the ph to fall between 4.8-5.5, usually it's at 5.5 right out of the bag, even though their specs say 5.5-6.5 I've never had a bale over 5.5. I don't think you need to add more DL, but that really depends on how you plan to use it, if you're going to amend it, ect. Not sure if "try something new" means a new system or just a new medium...

Now, my personal opinion of Promix is I think it's crap, it doesn't seemed to be sifted, has lots of sticks, etc. and always came with a shit ton of fungus gnats. I would recommend Sunshine #4 instead, I think it's of much better quality. But Promix can be had pretty cheap, sometimes you get what you pay for. And like I said, it's just personal opinion, your mileage may vary.

P

purplover83

hey CHILKaT whats up what i mean by "try something new" is this

i was running a closet grow with 6 plants using ffof and light warrior (50/50) for my soil and i had some great genetics from blue sky in oakland...and i was using floranova 1 part grow and bloom for my base as far as my additives liquid karma, sweet and cha ching to beef them up before harvest the smoke was decent but i was in need of an upgrade because i have always wanted a bigger grow where i can run c02 and all that good stuff..

i finally got my own pad and starting up pretty soon its a lot bigger and i switched to advanced nutrients and other additives and i hear a lot of people having success using promix or sunshine #4 with a drain to waste system and AN...

i now have 6 1000hps lights 3 4x8 flood tables sealed room 18x12x9 with a gen2 burner for c02 a 70 pint frigidaire dehu and a 3 ton mini split from frostbox and a huge scrubber in the corner...

i just picked up my new nutrients and this is what im going to be running this time i hope everything goes as planned next week i will be finally picking up clones and for this round im going to try kandy kush from blue sky 12 to 14 under each light

sensi grow
sensi bloom
liquid karma
bud candy
big bud
overdrive
bud ignitor
hygrozyme
root excelarator
pirahna
calmag
voodo juice
final flush

i have a 55 gallon resevoir that i will mix my nutes in and ph at around 6.3 before watering them with a sub pump and wand.
is sunshine #4 really better than promix hp
im also planning on getting 3 gallon smart pots but not sure yet

P

purplover83

hey Mlway what do you mean by "buffer a solution every now and then with finely ground DL"

P

purplover83

hey Badmf thanks that helps a lot...im trying to find out if i can go the whole grow just using the promix hp right out the bag... the big appeal for me is more control on what my girls are actually getting and not worrying if the soil is to hot... im planning on doing a FEED FEED WATER schedule and on my water days using bud candy and maybe 25% base nutes

C

CHILKaT

Sounds like an awesome setup.

I think you should use whatever it is YOU want to use. It's subjective you know, everyone has their own experience and preference. If something is better for me, it doesn't mean it will be for you. Lot's of growers use Promix HP and love it, I'd say give it a shot and see if it works for you. I wouldn't start off adding DL (lime) it's in there. You may have to check your PH though because it can change over time, so you'll want to keep an eye on that, and add DL only if or when you may need it.

Good luck on your grow, sounds like something new is going to be hella fun!

C

CHEMLORD

If you already have flood tables just buy bags (not bales) of promix, put a few slices in the bottom of them, put them in your trays and plant directly into them, kind of like you would a rockwool slab. Seems like everybody in Humboldt is doing that these days. Definitely cuts down on labor and all you have to do to water is mix up a res, plug in a pump and run to waste.

P

purplover83

hey nkkhills I cant pm yet cause im a new user

the frostbox is super cool...its easy to install and the guys at greencoasthydroponics are super helpful. i was planning on air cooling my lights but with only 6 1000w lights and a 3 ton unit im not air cooling them now.

i did a trial and seems to be running great. it comes with a day and night thermostat and a instructional dvd.

i dont have my girls in there yet so i have not ran the system with co2 and everything else but im sure i can keep cool year around.

i went through there website which is igrowhydro.com and the unit comes in a pallet really discreet. and shipping is included in the price and they also though in a free heater unit add on.

i hope this helps

B

Badmf

With most companies the mix will varie from region to region and throughout the season. I do sift the Promix as I use it as a base and add to a cement mixer to throughly toss all ingredients. I copied MR soil out of Canada and have had sucess but I tweeked it a bit. EWC, Lacto B, MychF., azolmite, polymers, egg shells, and some Happy Frog, DE over the top this is for large container grows and with smaller sized ones will drift more rapidly than the time period of just a bloom cycle. jmtc

M

MIway

hey Mlway what do you mean by "buffer a solution every now and then with finely ground DL"

Sorry bro... just kinda saw this in there...

The DL that they use in PM seems to be finely ground... as w the others. So, over time, it reasons that some will be used up & most will get out the drain water. (I do use a lot of run-off in my feeds to avoid build-up issues.)

Every 3 or 5 weeks (not super consistent on the practice- go by feel), I add a little bit of DL as my pH up... to raise my solution pH, and to get back into the medium itself. Will do this on consecutive feeds, just to get it back into the peat... and to act as a soil 'buffer'.

Hope that helps w my meaning. Like I've said before... stuff is really simple & easy to use... safe product that works very well... a stable buffer. 50lb sack costs me just under $10... and lasts quite a while.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Promix HP is mainly peat moss, if you're planning on running soilless drain to waste with straight Promix HP I've found the ph to fall between 4.8-5.5, usually it's at 5.5 right out of the bag, even though their specs say 5.5-6.5 I've never had a bale over 5.5. I don't think you need to add more DL, but that really depends on how you plan to use it, if you're going to amend it, ect. Not sure if "try something new" means a new system or just a new medium...

Now, my personal opinion of Promix is I think it's crap, it doesn't seemed to be sifted, has lots of sticks, etc. and always came with a shit ton of fungus gnats. I would recommend Sunshine #4 instead, I think it's of much better quality. But Promix can be had pretty cheap, sometimes you get what you pay for. And like I said, it's just personal opinion, your mileage may vary.

Just a tip I read on the premier horticulture education center on their website. Premier is the company that makes pro mix.

They say to water the first week with un-adjusted tap water to keep the ph up while the lime charges.

The ph you metered is typical out of the bale or bag but after a week mine always tested just above 6.2. And stayed that way til the end. Even using my 8.0 ph well water. It's about 150 ppm.

Also they use both calcitic lime for long term buffering and dolomite for short term buffering and some magnesium with the calcium.

I went back to ocean forest for convenience where I live but ended up preferring the amended base so I can water only as I transplant up through veg.

But I need to add large perlite to OF. Like 25% for good results in drainage.

And pro mix Hp is perfect in the bale.

Also. The agriculture bales and same label bags are higher quality mixes with the 2 limes and better grade peat.

Compared to the retail line at Home Depot with only dolomite and a lower grade of peat.

It's all on their site. I thought the info would be good for the thread and I thought the same as you about the 5.5 ph or lower when I first got a bale.

http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/training-center/

Sorry for the long response. I am a bit high. :-)

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

Just a tip I read on the premier horticulture education center on their website. Premier is the company that makes pro mix.

They say to water the first week with un-adjusted tap water to keep the ph up while the lime charges.

The ph you metered is typical out of the bale or bag but after a week mine always tested just above 6.2. And stayed that way til the end. Even using my 8.0 ph well water. It's about 150 ppm.

Also they use both calcitic lime for long term buffering and dolomite for short term buffering and some magnesium with the calcium.

I went back to ocean forest for convenience where I live but ended up preferring the amended base so I can water only as I transplant up through veg.

But I need to add large perlite to OF. Like 25% for good results in drainage.

And pro mix Hp is perfect in the bale.

Also. The agriculture bales and same label bags are higher quality mixes with the 2 limes and better grade peat.

Compared to the retail line at Home Depot with only dolomite and a lower grade of peat.

It's all on their site. I thought the info would be good for the thread and I thought the same as you about the 5.5 ph or lower when I first got a bale.

http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/training-center/

Sorry for the long response. I am a bit high. :)
some good info thank your very much

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

some good info thank your very much

You're welcome. I did about 4 years of university style research before I started because I literally had never even watered a plant in my whole life.

And I had tons of great links and charts I never saw on the 3 main pot forums but they were in an old computer.

I had the idea that maybe I should learn what the manufacturer of the gardening products I bought say how to use rather than the forum arguments I kept seeing with no definitive answer I could be sure of.

So when a thread makes me remember them I will try to find the info and post it.

It is worth reading most of the articals and watching the vids. There is no cannabis but it is all applicable.

Most of the common misconceptions on the forums are well explained on Greenhouse production type websites.

Jacks classic website has an awesome water alkalinity write up and fertilizing guide as well as the pro mix one I linked.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

mine is peat moss 80-90% perlight lime stone and wetting agent

I'm sure that is the retail store version and will work just fine if used properly.

I don't know if there is enough perlite included for great drainage in your gardens conditions but only one way to find out.

This was interesting.

I have a calcium deficiency lately. It turns out it is because my well water has actually gone down in mineral content with no rain this summer.

But I added extra lime to my ocean forest like the pot books and forums always say to.

And now my runoff is over 7.0 ph. No visible problems (other than the calcium spots already there) but it proves something that I keep reading all over.

"Not enough lime in that mix" they post.

How can that possibly be when the potting mix is "limed" to buffer to a certain ph? It has to be accurate.

By the way I had to add cal mag at 2 ml to my now deficient well water. The old grow book tip of using water that is 150 ppm or .3 ec seems correct.

Mine has gone down to .2. And I did not see the deficiency right away.

Hope all of this babble helps. My weed seems to be working. I can't shut up! :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom