Propane Extraction - Blue Rhino Distillation?

• Thread starter DiatomaceousE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DiatomaceousE

Hello,
I am doing some research on propane extraction and I can't find any information on distilling gas station Propane like Blue Rhino brand. I know they add the smell detector but my question is can this easily be removed by boiling it out of your closed loop collection pot in a similar fashion as mystery oil or does it stay with the propane?

Is anyone doing this or do most people just buy the pure ecogreen stuff for 10x more?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Hello,
I am doing some research on propane extraction and I can't find any information on distilling gas station Propane like Blue Rhino brand. I know they add the smell detector but my question is can this easily be removed by boiling it out of your closed loop collection pot in a similar fashion as mystery oil or does it stay with the propane?

Is anyone doing this or do most people just buy the pure ecogreen stuff for 10x more?
No, it is not easily removed and the ethyl or methyl mercaptan that they use for the purpose, have a human sensory threshold around 22 parts per billionth.

We've used Ecogreen refrigerant grade, after re-distilling to remove Mystery Oil, but usually use reagent grade from Apis Labs in Eugene, OR, which we also pre-distill, but it starts out cleaner and comes with certification of analysis.

Top Bottom