proper mixing of nutrient sol. to keep ppm's in control?

• Thread starter TopCorn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TopCorn

greetings all!
if growing in pro mix soil and using botanicare power plant, liquid karma, cal-mag and some silica blast should the total parts-per-million, after all components are added, be the final ppm (say 900). Does the liquid karma affect the ppm significantly. What about adding ph up or down?

Put another way, if im trying to stay around 900ppms, does that mean 900 ppm with all components added or just those affecting nutrient levels.

as of now i just mix everything up to make 4 gallons but dilute it to 5 gals, they also get just water every fourth or so watering. seems to work.

thoughts and comments?

-cheers!

HustleTrees

HustleTrees

TopCorn,

I've been dabbling in trying to understanding PPM myself, what I shoot for is a TOTAL ppm after adding everything. I'm pretty sure pH down would contribute to the PPM reading as well.

Hope that helps!

-HT

devious d

devious d

your ec or ppm , is when all additives are added and your A+B, Coz pk's, big bud, even boost, or boombastic all put up your ec or ppm significantly

T

Trim Reaper

Liquid Karma will hardly add any EC to your solution, as it is an organic. Always use EC rather than PPM as it is much more accurate. PPM pens multiply EC by anywhere from 500 to 700 to give reading. Most mfg dont bother to tell you the multoplyer, so you are still guessing as to what your actual EC is.
In Sunshine veg ph 6-6.2 EC 1.2-1.6. Bloom depending on strain 1.6 - 2.2 EC ph 6-6.2.
Also when adding any silica solution, you should let your nutes sit for a couple hours with an airstone in it, so the silica becomes soluble for your plant. Re-check your ph prior to using, as silica is a strong ph up.
:pimp:

T

TopCorn

Thanks all!
I noticed that the liquid karma alone does not change the ppms much from plain water.

I also noticed how the silica blast precips out as soon as it mixes with residual nutes in the measuring cup, i'll try the air stone though.

A EC meter is next on my list, i was bummed after i read up on how ppm meters compare to EC in accuracy and had already bought a cheap one.

-watch em grow!

T

Trim Reaper

Try Rhino Skin for your silica next time, I switched about a year ago and it is amazing the difference in solubility. GH also makes a sand/clay based silica you make a tea with, then add to your nutes. Both work better than anything else I have tried over the years.
As far as your PPM meter, look up the mfg and find out what multiplier they are using so you know your EC. That will keep you covered till you can get that new meter.
:big_boss:

J

johard59

Ppm levels.

the ppm levels during various stages of growth of the plant are given here,seedlings = 50-150 ppm; unrootedclones = 100-350 ppm; small plants = 400-800 ppm; large plants = 900-1800 ppm;
However adding too much nutrients can cause plant problems.
so try to maintain right.;(

T

Trim Reaper

johard59, what is the multiplier on your ppm pen? Also stregnth of nutes depends on strain and growing medium, as well as light and enviormental issues.
Bottom line, start low, you can always add more.
:pimp:

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

You can convert back from PPM to EC. The important thing is to get an accurate reading and then make sure you double check the conversions. Calibrate often. Having more than one also helps to double check. PH and EC is so important that it is critical to be as accurate as possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom