Proper rapid rooter use

• Thread starter Bib4tuna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Ok,so after weeks of waiting on seeds in mail i decided to go with rapid rooters for seed germination but im not sure on method as ppl.say different things. Some soak seeds in glass of water 1st,some use paper towel method then place when tap root shows,others just stick them right in. Can anybody tell me best method for using these.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok,so after weeks of waiting on seeds in mail i decided to go with rapid rooters for seed germination but im not sure on method as ppl.say different things. Some soak seeds in glass of water 1st,some use paper towel method then place when tap root shows,others just stick them right in. Can anybody tell me best method for using these.
Best is what works for you.

Personally I soak 16-18 hrs in distilled water. Then stack 4 paper towels on a plate and wet with tap water. Tilt the plate so the paper towels drain. You do not want to see any water just moist paper towel. Place the seeds and then fold over top. Place another plate over top face to face so it kinda seals the moisture in. Place a washcloth folded in half on a tv box and place the plates on top. Within 24-72 hrs should all have germinated. Once they germinate place in rapid rooters tap root down. You should have 100% success rate.. atleast I usually do.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Best is what works for you.

Personally I soak 16-18 hrs in distilled water. Then stack 4 paper towels on a plate and wet with tap water. Tilt the plate so the paper towels drain. You do not want to see any water just moist paper towel. Place the seeds and then fold over top. Place another plate over top face to face so it kinda seals the moisture in. Place a washcloth folded in half on a tv box and place the plates on top. Within 24-72 hrs should all have germinated. Once they germinate place in rapid rooters tap root down. You should have 100% success rate.. atleast I usually do.
K,thx. Ive always done paper towel method by itself & just put them in soil but decided to go with the rooters but that makes sense. Seems getting the tap root showing before placing would give them that extra push. After waiting weeks on seeds due to flu slowing postal I want as many to germinate as possible.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

K,thx. Ive always done paper towel method by itself & just put them in soil but decided to go with the rooters but that makes sense. Seems getting the tap root showing before placing would give them that extra push. After waiting weeks on seeds due to flu slowing postal I want as many to germinate as possible.
I find the soak speeds up the germ but 16-18hrs pop or not they go into paper towel. Temps are important also.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I find the soak speeds up the germ but 16-18hrs pop or not they go into paper towel. Temps are important also.
For sure,I recently did away with cable cuz they were charging me crazy price so dont have the cable box for heat but im just gonna go with heating pad on low. Should do the trick.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

If you're going to start them in the rapid Rooter squeeze the rapid rooters out some, because I find they hold too much water and can occasionally drowned a seed or seedling, good luck!

Habosabin

Habosabin

I just popped a bruce banner auto. I soaked it overnight until the tap started popping out then I put in a rapid rooter like spongy thing and planted it in the soil. 3 days later it popped out. But I think I would just plant it straight to soil bypassing the rooter next time I do it.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

If you're going to start them in the rapid Rooter squeeze the rapid rooters out some, because I find they hold too much water and can occasionally drowned a seed or seedling, good luck!
Yup,this is also where opinions vary. Some soak them for 24 hrs,some for a couple hrs,& other ppl.pop them right in as is. When rapid rooters arrived in mail I could tell they were already moist so this was also a concern so thx for the tip. I soaked seeds overnight & some are already showing tap root so I could place then right in soil but ive heard rapid rooters are packed with nutrients that promote root growth for seedlings so I figure I'll give em a try.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yup,this is also where opinions vary. Some soak them for 24 hrs,some for a couple hrs,& other ppl.pop them right in as is. When rapid rooters arrived in mail I could tell they were already moist so this was also a concern so thx for the tip. I soaked seeds overnight & some are already showing tap root so I could place then right in soil but ive heard rapid rooters are packed with nutrients that promote root growth for seedlings so I figure I'll give em a try.
I would toss em tap root down in rooters.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

For sure,I was actually suprised some were showing tap root within 24 hrs of soak. Figured I'd have to place in paper towels for a day or two. Not sure if this is sign of good genes but after 6 week wait on mail order seeds i'll take it.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Im sure im overthinking this but being that rooters are soaked & overwatering seeds can kill them im gonna ask anyways. Do you use the humidity dome? Ive read where some say to use & others say they only use dome with clones cuz it creates to much moisture for seedlings.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Im sure im overthinking this but being that rooters are soaked & overwatering seeds can kill them im gonna ask anyways. Do you use the humidity dome? Ive read where some say to use & others say they only use dome with clones cuz it creates to much moisture for seedlings.
Domes not needed for seeds

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Domes not needed for seeds
Last of seeds finally showed tap root so all have been placed in rooters. Two in rooters have already broke surface overnight. As of right now I just have them outside in garage in tray with outside temps hitting in the 80s & lows upper 60s. Would you recommend putting heating pad under tray also or just leaving as is?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Last of seeds finally showed tap root so all have been placed in rooters. Two in rooters have already broke surface overnight. As of right now I just have them outside in garage in tray with outside temps hitting in the 80s & lows upper 60s. Would you recommend putting heating pad under tray also or just leaving as is?
Nope should be good at those temps.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

K,cool. Figure either way probably shouldnt baby too much anyways to toughen up. Im expecting good things from the ones that broke surface early!
I had what someone called a unicorn sprouted about 5 days behind every other plant. It's since caught up and in the front running for a mother plant. You just never know

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I had what someone called a unicorn sprouted about 5 days behind every other plant. It's since caught up and in the front running for a mother plant. You just never know
For sure. Cant predict anything especially this early on. So far tho im pleased with seeds. All showed taprooot within two days & also the two that broke surface within 24 hrs. Ive had where only 75% sprout so all in all I feel pretty good about them.

Top Bottom