Proper rapid rooter use

• Thread starter Bib4tuna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

For sure. Cant predict anything especially this early on. So far tho im pleased with seeds. All showed taprooot within two days & also the two that broke surface within 24 hrs. Ive had where only 75% sprout so all in all I feel pretty good about them.
You did a good job germinating. I also find 16-18hr soak pop or not go into paper towel then into peat pellets, rockwool or rapid rooter gets almost always 100% germ rates. Sounds like these seeds have some good vigor also.

And the rooting hormone in the rooters is probably helping as well

Last edited:
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

You did a good job germinating. I also find 16-18hr soak pop or not go into paper towel then into peat pellets, rockwool or rapid rooter gets almost always 100% germ rates. Sounds like these seeds have some good vigor also.
Yea, I just did the soak for 24 hrs then stuck em in the paper towels/paper plates with heating pad underneath. Then popped em right in the rooters like you said. I actually had the peat pellets but decided on rooters since everyone seems to swear by them.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yea, I just did the soak for 24 hrs then stuck em in the paper towels/paper plates with heating pad underneath. Then popped em right in the rooters like you said. I actually had the peat pellets but decided on rooters since everyone seems to swear by them.
Yeah I just added to the last post. They have rooting hormone IBA already soaked in. I use a rooting powder when I do mine in pellets. The rooters have this covered.

In sure it helps with seeds some but with clones its a bigger help

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Yeah I just added to the last post. They have rooting hormone IBA already soaked in. I use a rooting powder when I do mine in pellets. The rooters have this covered.

Yea seems alotta ppl.recommend for clones. Ive read also where ppl.soak the rooters in a starter solution but I just used as is. Being that I already started the seeds in the paper towels I really was just using them because Ive heard they promote good root growth.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I go straight from the 18hr soak into a wet rapid rooter now. Really if you think about it what's the difference between a wet rooter or wet PT? Both apply very gentle pressure of damp media against the seed. If the temp is the same, the seed will crack in the rapid rooter the same as it will in paper towel. PT just means one more transplant step. And I used the PT method for a couple decades.. I'm converted.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Only thing I'd add is to split the rapid rooter, so the tap root isn't damaged during inserting it into the "rooter"...
Yeah,for sure. I forgot but yeah i split mine too. I didnt split all the way tho,just took a pair of scissors & cut down like half inch.

growingstank

growingstank

Ok,so after weeks of waiting on seeds in mail i decided to go with rapid rooters for seed germination but im not sure on method as ppl.say different things. Some soak seeds in glass of water 1st,some use paper towel method then place when tap root shows,others just stick them right in. Can anybody tell me best method for using these.
My method is a combination of techniques that I picked up from farmers on this site...I soak the seeds for 12 hours then gently tap them to see if they sink to the bottom of the glass. If so then I plug them into root riots. For the root riots, I make a hole in the bottom (rounded part) that way they can stand upright on the flat side. Then just a quick soak in water and they’re ready to use.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Ok,so all seeds have broke surface & shed husk so 100% germination. All rooters have a single root shooting straight out bottom,im used to starting in cups & moving to containers when roots show. Should I transplant to bigger container now or wait for more roots to show?

growingstank

growingstank

Ok,so all seeds have broke surface & shed husk so 100% germination. All rooters have a single root shooting straight out bottom,im used to starting in cups & moving to containers when roots show. Should I transplant to bigger container now or wait for more roots to show?
I would wait for more roots to show. With only a single taproot they won’t be able to uptake much water on their own yet.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah anytime now but I wouldn't wait more than a few days.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Yeah anytime now but I wouldn't wait more than a few days.
@Aquaman I know this is a lil off topic but I threw those under a t15 fluorescent cuz I really didnt have a light for seedlings. They dont seem to be doing well under the t15. Should I switch it up & throw then under the mh or stick with the t15 for now?

Top Bottom