Proper Wire Connectors For Replacement Bulb Socket?

• Thread starter qupee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
qupee

qupee

I'm replacing a bulb socket in a cool tube and having some trouble finding the properly rated crimp connectors. The socket is rated for 600VAC at 1500w with a 5kV pulse start.

I see similar looking connectors rated for 600V, but I'm not sure if they're suitable for the 5kV pulse start:

Can anyone help me find a safe splice?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

How about soldering the connection and then heat shrink tubing?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

LOL,My dad always told me free advice is usually worth as much as you paid for it..

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Qupee,You asked for a safe splice,the safest way that offers the least resistance is to solder and then heat shrink the wires,A wirenut is also very acceptable but not quite as good a connection.You dont need some mega high rated special wirenut,home depot should have what you need if you go that route,the important thing is that you use a wirenut sized correctly for your wire size.There are lots of reasons soldering is better especially with stranded wire but there are many ways to skin a cat.Here is a short easy read on it,Its not rocket science.
http://www.dansmc.com/soldering.htm

Lurkin4yrs

Lurkin4yrs

No no no @fishwhistle you HAVE to use a mk4929692er gov issued wirenut it only cost $4059 each.. the only way to go!

-lurkin

qupee

qupee

How about soldering the connection and then heat shrink tubing?

I suppose that was obvious :( I do a fair bit of soldering. That said, heat shrink would put the wires even closer together making an appropriate voltage rating even more important. It looks like it's easier to find ratings on heat shrink tube, though. Quickly looking for some, the first one I came across is in fact only rated to 600V. It would be bad to use an under-rated insulator in this application. Safety first, let's not start any fires.

No no no @fishwhistle you HAVE to use a mk4929692er gov issued wirenut it only cost $4059 each.. the only way to go!

-lurkin

Well, come on now. 5kv is quite a ways from ~240v. I would never assume an average household wiring connector would have sufficient insulation for 5kv without a clearly stated rating that it does. I've played with high voltage, 5kv will jump a ways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom