Pruning advice

• Thread starter Kennyk1977
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kennyk1977

Hey guys I’ve been given this regeneration plant and it’s its getting super thick foliage. Quite different than the photos I’ve Ben seeing on these threads. What is the best way to prune. Should I’d be done when the plant is starting to flower?

Pruning advice
WankirA

WankirA

Certainly looks very healthy...
I'm too new for advice on this @Kennyk1977 , but interested in the answer.
Somebody will come along soon who will know.
So how did you get this big girl?

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Hey guys I’ve been given this regeneration plant and it’s its getting super thick foliage. Quite different than the photos I’ve Ben seeing on these threads. What is the best way to prune. Should I’d be done when the plant is starting to flower?
Beautiful. NO TOUCH! Don't you dare harm a hair. Once it starts to flower then you can clip a few leaves, any covering flowers on the lower level, in a couple months. Have I said beautiful yet? Very good job so far.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I'm usually a proponent for selective pruning... just nipping a fan leaf here or there to allow the light to reach growth sites under it, but I can't say that it would benefit you much at this point. What I would do is to try to encourage the main stems to grow further apart from each other... more or less pulling them away from each other and allowing the plant to spread out horizontally as much as possible. The plant will spread out, and then begin to grow new smaller colas along the horizontal-ish branches. This will keep the canopy from getting too thick as well as encourage side growth, which can add a ton of weight at the end.

Ina

Ina

I don't grow outdoors but I'd did with the amount and angle the sunlight provides I see no reason or need to trim. If it was indoor I might say otherwise.
You could always thin it a little bit here and there.I always trim the biggest bushes few times,especially when it is rainy in the autumn,for air mostly and for mold prevention and to show the tops under direct sun light instead of the bigger leaves.Some inside branches could also be removed if needed....You could do that later when you see how its coming......You could spread the branches sideways a little for now.....
This will look wonderful in flower!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
This is what a plant should look like, not a sparse skeleton with a dozen leaves! I know some strains are different but this one just looks great. A re-vegged plant grows more like a shrub and sometimes they get a little too thick in the middle. I had a few re-vegged Black Diesel plants that were very bushy, but the only yield was in the canopy due to it being so dense. After that, I made sure to spread them out more to avoid my earlier issues. Looks great... Did I say that already?

K

Kennyk1977

Thanks for the advice. My friend was going to throw her away. I brought her home. She’s a rescue plant lol.
One more question.
When to start flower food. Just before 12/12 light, or when you see flowers

5EAA039A C067 48F2 8262 73E427368050
74B2E52A ADCA 4DDF AABD 54391C303C8E
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I start using it whenever I switch to 12/12, but it isn't crucial to have it happen at any specific point. There isn't usually too big of a difference between bloom formulas than regular growth, but there is usually less nitrogen and higher P and K. You can use reg 20-20-20 throughout the grow from veg to flower, but lowering the nitrogen is usually recommended during flowering. The difference is minimal... I prefer a bloom mix because my fan leaves yellow and drop during flowering (Sativa) and the lack of excessive chlorophyll helps to keep the flavor less harsh, IMO. This is sort of the reason that some flush their plants, but this is really only needed if you are using a ton of food/nutes. Less is best when it comes to nitrogen during flowering.

BigCube

BigCube

Looks a lot like the white widow I'm growing right now. With a plant that bushy and if its anything like mine. You will need to be constantly trimming it. Every 2 or 3 days I take off 20 to 30 leaves. It slows down a bit when in flower but still bushes out fast.

My suggestion is dont be afraid to Bush whack that lady. 2 weeks in to flower I gave mine a hacking that literally removed half the plant mass. A week later it barely looked like I touched it.

FrankieG

FrankieG

I wouldn't pull fan leaves cut anything because it just looks good, but I would play with super cropping that plant. Take the tallest shoots and super crop to get her to spread out and give some of the shoots down low some light, that thing will fill out. Just do one branch the first day, then re-evaluate. I've had plants that take 2 days to recover from super cropping and others that take a few hours. That plant looks like it's a prime candidate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom