Pruning Mothers?

• Thread starter HappyMonkey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HappyMonkey

HappyMonkey

Hello : )

Little question here: Are you pruning the bottom third of your mothers?

Thanks for your time : )

HappyMonkey

HappyMonkey

I don’t personally because I like the bottom and side shoots for cloning. I typically only prune when they are about to go into flowering.

Thanks once again for taking the time :)
I've seen this on growing exposed and was wondering if this was common

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks once again for taking the time :)
I've seen this on growing exposed and was wondering if this was common

It really depends on your goal. A mother plants main purpose is usually to produce clones for cuttings. And the best way to get them is with healthy side shoots.

If you have some narly undergrowth which isn’t doing much of anything then it can be cut away to provide more airflow and light to areas that will but otherwise I leave most of the lower growth until it’s ready to take clones from.

HappyMonkey

HappyMonkey

It really depends on your goal. A mother plants main purpose is usually to produce clones for cuttings. And the best way to get them is with healthy side shoots.

If you have some narly undergrowth which isn’t doing much of anything then it can be cut away to provide more airflow and light to areas that will but otherwise I leave most of the lower growth until it’s ready to take clones from.

Thanks again! I've seen two different way to approach this, some people only want to take tops for cuttings and others will only go for lower parts of the mothers, i had more success with the lower parts so far! I will do more tests and act accordingly to the results

Airflow is kinda of an issue in that room i'll try to fix this!

Once again thanks for taking the time i appreciate it!

E

Elevated

I like too, mostly because near the soil seems to be most prone to bugs and mildew etc. I guess if height is an issue I'd consider keeping them.

HappyMonkey

HappyMonkey

I like too, mostly because near the soil seems to be most prone to bugs and mildew etc. I guess if height is an issue I'd consider keeping them.

Do you mean you like to prune the bottom third of your mothers Because the lower parts harvest pests more easily since its close to the soil?

Check out Stratios-S for pest control like larva fungi etc (not sure if it messes with your mycorrhizae if you use it, i wrote to them and i'm waiting for an answer i can post their answer here once i know) as well as phytoline B for spider mites! I discovered this while watching Growing exposed on youtube in season 1 episode 3
works like a charm : )

Height is not an issue for me, i'll test and let you know : )

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

E

Elevated

I use plant therapy and regalia. I dont have issues with treatment but clean and away from soil has always been my method of operation. I'm not familiar with stratios-s. I'll check it out, procidic also sounds interesting. Thanks for info

Top Bottom