Pulling Air In a Closed Room

• Thread starter bdawg22
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bdawg22

Everyone,

I am currently building two 20x30 rooms with 17k worth of lighting in each of them. We will be using 12 Adjust-A-Wings over the top and 15 along the sides. I will be running 2 UCXL-40" centers with 10 ton of ac in each room. Also, running CO2 in the room and my question is: Is it necessary to pull fresh air into the room from outside? I thought the reason for a "closed room" was to keep everything sealed and not worry about anything coming in or going out. Any feedback is appreciated!

deacon1503

deacon1503

Welcome to the Farm! Sounds like a great project you got goin!

Did u mean to say 27k per room? 27k of light needs 9 tons of ac so im figuring a typo.

You mentioned dual UCs on 40 but not how many plants per?

In theory the air would maintain in the room being continually cycled through transpiration I assume. I know someone can answer this one better than me at the moment. :passingjoint:

B

bdawg22

Thanks for the reply. We are running 6 1000w's over each system(16UCXL 13 gal 40" centers) which makes 12 in each room. We are also using 5-600w's on each length side, 5-600w's down the center isle of the two systems and 2-600w's on each ends. So in total 12-1000w's and 19-600w's in each room. This is the light set up for each room which are each completely separate in the same building. two 5 ton ac units are installed outside for each room. Still want to know if it is necessary to pull air in from the warehouse? Any help?

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

This is funny you posted this. I was just going to ask the same thing

In my garden I am deciding what to do. I am running bare bulb, compared to my usuall air cooled setup. I have a A/C to run. With the weather being around 30-40 degrees at night here I was wondering if I can use the outside air to cool the room with a intake fan instead of the A/c?
I still want to use co2 and make this a sealed room. So no exhaust will be used. Any help on this?

F

fasteddy0

In my garden I am deciding what to do. I am running bare bulb, compared to my usuall air cooled setup. I have a A/C to run. With the weather being around 30-40 degrees at night here I was wondering if I can use the outside air to cool the room with a intake fan instead of the A/c?
I still want to use co2 and make this a sealed room. So no exhaust will be used. Any help on this?

If you have an intake with no exhaust you will create positive pressure in your room, this of course will cause problems with smell.

F

fasteddy0

Everyone,

I am currently building two 20x30 rooms with 17k worth of lighting in each of them. We will be using 12 Adjust-A-Wings over the top and 15 along the sides. I will be running 2 UCXL-40" centers with 10 ton of ac in each room. Also, running CO2 in the room and my question is: Is it necessary to pull fresh air into the room from outside? I thought the reason for a "closed room" was to keep everything sealed and not worry about anything coming in or going out. Any feedback is appreciated!

You are correct, no reason to pull fresh air if you are running a closed system. The air in your room will be constantly circulated by your AC. Apparently air does not get stale so you just need to replenish your co2. (which I am sure you already know if you are doing a closed system.)

the rrock

the rrock

yes I pull in outside air,with a thermostat controlled fan,saves$$ instead of running the A/c

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Is it necessary to pull fresh air into the room from outside? I thought the reason for a "closed room" was to keep everything sealed and not worry about anything coming in or going out. Any feedback is appreciated!
not nessecary, but here are some "what if" scenarios.

can do both and still have a sealed room. use duct dampers to keep the room sealed.

1. The exhuast can also be used as an "emergency cooling" should your ac fail.
2. The exhuast can also be used to remove fumes from a bomb or sulfhur burn in the room

Then the "what if's" are covered. Yea most acs are reliable but if you had to replace a broken AC what would you do?

what if, you lived in a residence and need to run a bug bomb or sulphur burn. In sealed room that shit get nasty without exhuast.

I first build my room with in and out air. then added a ac and c02. I then added duct dampers to control in/out air vs sealed.

Now I have both system in place. Air exchange is not needed but helps to have it in case.

Basic floor plan (not exact) of how I did it. (carbon filer on xhuast end is not needed)
floorplan.gif

Duct damper
damper.JPG

damperopen.JPG

They also make motorized dust dampers. I used the air intake for the hoods and added a motorized damper. That way I can use the same circuit for intake air.
(another way to get more out of limited intake and exhuast areas)
pic
duct_damper1.jpg

all sealed allow for greatest control. But think about the "what if's" and your prepared for anything. overkill to some, but doesnt cost that much more and could save a crop if there is a bad problem.

hope that make sense

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I have pretty much the same setup with the dampers and all. Also have the emergency exhaust.
Also running 2 carbon scrubbers to kill the smell.
I am just trying to save money by not running my A/C. Or maybe I can use my a/c and pull cold air in the room so my a/c does not have to do all the work.

B

bdawg22

Thanks for the advice guys. I see that the what if's are a good buffer forsure. The problem for us is that our electrical meter is inside and Edison has to come in once a month to read the meter. I am not really worried at all about the AC since we have 2-5 ton high efficiency units for each room. I am really worried about the smell. We have over 150K invested into this project and I am sure the heck not going to let the Edison guy ruin it. I guess if we have to use a sulfur burner or anything else toxic we will just have to open up the doors to thewarehouse to air out. Cant take that risk right now of smell.

W

weedfarm

a sealed room is entirely sealed. You need an AC, Co2 and a dehumidifier. I see no mention of a dehumidifier. You will need a pretty large DH, probable a Santa Fe Max. Yes the AC will remove humidity but not all of it.

I ran 15k per room, air cooled lights and a 4 ton AC. My air cooling was huge so I removed alot of heat and the AC did not run as much as yours will. So your AC may remove more water as it is running more. I used a SF classic and it wasnt big enough at the end of flower

Also run a filter in each room to keep odor in check

Top Bottom